Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

It's still possible that the contract is just one part of this.  Others have suggested this as well, and it's a feasible scenario.  The offer sheet is on the table.  The Jags front office could contact Cleveland and sweeten the pot by dangling a draft pick for them to walk away from any consideration to match the deal.  If the Jaguars really want Mack, and it's pretty clear they do, offering up one of those extra picks they have might be an option in getting this thing done.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Brown's tune has changed? Thats a bit premature to say....Its been what a half hour since the deal was signed....

If the Browns match the deal today, that pretty much proves that their tune never changed, despite the rhetoric in your post suggesting it has. 

Premature?  They have indicated they're mulling it over.  That is a different tune from "immediate" as Schefter was spinning it last night. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

26 mil guaranteed over the first 2 years?

wow...

good thing they heeded some warnings of a soft offer and reworked it

Quote:It's still possible that the contract is just one part of this.  Others have suggested this as well, and it's a feasible scenario.  The offer sheet is on the table.  The Jags front office could contact Cleveland and sweeten the pot by dangling a draft pick for them to walk away from any consideration to match the deal.  If the Jaguars really want Mack, and it's pretty clear they do, offering up one of those extra picks they have might be an option in getting this thing done.

I thought one of the Browns fans cited some CBA by law saying that was illegal?... I hope its not, and I'd dangle one of the 5th rounders as incentive. 

I have a feeling we could come out on top of this. Even though the money itself isn't a big deal for the browns, the fact that they are not guaranteed to have him long-term could be. Why pay him 18-20 mil for two years, when he could just walk after that. Especially since they can't franchise him or trade him either. They would get nothing really in return for the money they've spent. And I'm pretty sure they see themselves rebuilding as well. I think those factors are the biggest concern in the equation. Plus it's the biggest contract out of anyone this off-season. Do they really want to pay that?

We'll see I guess. This waiting is really lowering my life span. I can feel it..... lol

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:I don't think the Browns knew anything about the specifics of the contract until very late in the process, and I would imagine they only got those details after the Jags, Mack, and his agent finished drafting the deal.    I would imagine Mack's agent probably communicated the terms of the deal to the Browns front office once they had everything drafted and ready to go.  So, they've probably known the specifics since last night some time, which explains why they're now saying the are "mulling things over" regarding the deal.
Agreed. I just dont understand taking till next week, but then again, I'm not in their office

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:26 mil guaranteed over the first 2 years?

wow...

Obviously TMD called in and spoke with a Caldwell directly. He told him to get serious

wow...

26 MIL over 3 years, not 2. 

and FBT you were right on the over/under, and the just barely lol

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:07 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:lol, by saying immediately it pretty much meant within the same day - not necessarily sitting there waiting for the fax so they could match it that second...... LOL wow....
Those were tweets and remarks made by NFL pundits. But quit with all the LOLs. Mom is going to wonder what going on down there.

<div style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(153,153,153);;"> Retweeted by <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/nfl'>NFL</a>
</div>

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL'>[Image: ATL_twitter_thumb2_bigger.jpg]NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL/status/454228990933204992' title="5:06 AM - 10 Apr 2014">Apr 10</a>
<p class="">Report: Browns to match offer sheet on Mack 'in no time at all’ <a class="" href='http://t.co/aLAwypy5lU' title="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340444/article/report-browns-to-match-mack-offer-sheet-in-no-time-at-all?campaign=Twitter_atl">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340444/article/report-browns-to-match-mack-offer-sheet-in-no-time-at-all?campaign=Twitter_atl …</a>

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL/status/454228990933204992'><span><span>Expand</span></span></a>
<ul class="">[*] 
[*] 
</ul>
</div>
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter'>Adam Schefter ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@AdamSchefter</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/454214217361412096' title="4:08 AM - 10 Apr 2014">Apr 10</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">Once it is signed, Browns figure to match Jacksonville's five-year offer sheet to C Alex Mack "in no time at all", per source.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/454214217361412096'><span><span>Expand</span></span></a>
<ul class="">[*] 
</ul>
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Those type need strong shoulders and flexibility. One for throwing so much at the wall till one sticks, and the other for patting themselves on the back when one sticks. Amazing creatures.
By the time the dust settles on this thing, if the Jags land Mack, those same people will be spinning this as a bad deal because we overpaid.  If the Jags DON'T land Mack, those same people will be saying the Jags are idiots for not making the deal tougher to assure we got him. 

Quote:and FBT you were right on the over/under, and the just barely lol

cookie? 

Quote:26 MIL over 3 years, not 2. 
oh... so 10 mil in year 1 and 8 in year 2 with an option for 8 year 3..

so still a soft offer?

Quote:I thought one of the Browns fans cited some CBA by law saying that was illegal?... I hope its not, and I'd dangle one of the 5th rounders as incentive. 

Give up a pick for a center, as well as a BOAT load of guaranteed money?  I don't see why this would be prudent.

wow...

Isn't that over the first 3 years?  Either way, you're right.  Thank God they were checking Florio's site to know what they were going to face if they didn't clamp things down.

Quote:By the time the dust settles on this thing, if the Jags land Mack, those same people will be spinning this as a bad deal because we overpaid.  If the Jags DON'T land Mack, those same people will be saying the Jags are idiots for not making the deal tougher to assure we got him. 

I won't be spinning it as we overpaid. Speak for yourself. 

Quote:cookie? 
do i want a cookie? or does FBT want the cookie?

I guessed 75 pages, so i was wrong, but if a cookie is my consolation prize... i'll take an oreo

Quote:oh... so 10 mil in year 1 and 8 in year 2 with an option for 8 year 3..

so still a soft offer?

26 MIL over 3 years, not 2, just making sure you got it right. Maybe you were just exaggerating to make the Jags offer seem better than it is. 

The offer is still a reasonable match for Cleveland. 

Quote:Agreed. I just dont understand taking till next week, but then again, I'm not in their office

Unless they plan to respond immediately, as in today, I would imagine they'd make their decision over the weekend.  Nothing official can happen over the weekend as far as the league is concerned, but if they decide to match, they can put that out in the media.  Same thing if they decide to walk away. 

Quote:It's still possible that the contract is just one part of this.  Others have suggested this as well, and it's a feasible scenario.  The offer sheet is on the table.  The Jags front office could contact Cleveland and sweeten the pot by dangling a draft pick for them to walk away from any consideration to match the deal.  If the Jaguars really want Mack, and it's pretty clear they do, offering up one of those extra picks they have might be an option in getting this thing done.

Nope, can't do this.