Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:You say 60%, another fan in another post recently said 80% chance the Browns match....most people see it as a relatively easy match for the Browns, which suggests we didn't do that good on this contract offer.

Yes because these fans really know what's going on in the minds of both GM'S. That's worse then you over crediting PFT as reliable.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

Ahh, so "immediately" has an evolving definition that can be spun to fit agenda.  Typical.

<div><sup>1</sup>im·me·di·ate·ly adverb \i-<span>ˈmē-dē-ət-lē also -ˈmē-dit-, British often -ˈmē-jit-\</span>
<div>
: with no person or thing in between

: without any delay

</div>

1:  in direct connection or relation :  directly <span><the parties immediately involved in the case> <the house immediately beyond this one> </span>

<div> 
2:  without interval of time :  straightway <span><I'll make that call immediately> </span>
</div>

</div>

No, its just that you're being too literal. WHen people said the Browns would immediately match, they didn't mean they'd be waiting with a pen for the fax to come through the maching to sign it. Reasonable people understood this meant within 24 hours they would agree to match. 

Quote:Id rather overpay and take the brownies out of the equation and lock Mack up.. My 2 cents..

For a player like this I agree. 

Quote:Do you always worry about insignificant issues? If he isn't signed by morning Wednesday then it is unlikely they will sign him not matter the deadline. It either is something they will do or it isn't.

As I said previously, for TMD complaining incessantly is like oxygen to the rest of us.  It's the only way he gets that attention he so desperately craves.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:You say 60%, another fan in another post recently said 80% chance the Browns match....most people see it as a relatively easy match for the Browns, which suggests we didn't do that good on this contract offer. 
Now fans opinions are dictating whether or not it was a good offer? Cmon TMD, now that is just trolling. If you cannot admit with the available knowledge that the Jags have done their due diligence on this offer well then..........................

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Whatever contract was drawn up, there'd be around a 60% chance of the Browns matching.  There's no longer any way of making it lower than that.  You can't put poison pills in contracts anymore.  I'm not sure what you're expecting, except the usual 'impossible'.  60% isn't making it easy for the Browns.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:No, its just that you're being too literal. WHen people said the Browns would immediately match, they didn't mean they'd be waiting with a pen for the fax to come through the maching to sign it. Reasonable people understood this meant within 24 hours they would agree to match. 
How do you know what Cleveland meant?  Are you getting calls on that Frier Phone of yours again?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Now fans opinions are dictating whether or not it was a good offer? Cmon TMD, now that is just trolling. If you cannot admit with the available knowledge that the Jags have done their due diligence on this offer well then..........................
You're not really expecting him to concede that he has no more insight into the contract or what Cleveland will do than the rest of us, are you?

Quote:Whatever contract was drawn up, there'd be around a 60% chance of the Browns matching.  There's no longer any way of making it lower than that.  You can't put poison pills in contracts anymore.  I'm not sure what you're expecting, except the usual 'impossible'.  60% isn't making it easy for the Browns.  

Impossible? If it was impossible to create a contract that they couldn't match then why are we even bothering? 

Quote:Impossible? If it was impossible to create a contract that they couldn't match then why are we even bothering? 

We tried.   I just don't think we got there.   We'll see.   There's a chance.   In the end, I think we decided not to make the contract so punitive to the team that wound up with him, because we were hoping the team that wound up with him would be US, and we would be stuck with whatever provisions made it harder for the Browns to match.  

The notion that Mack is going to be playing on a "cheaper deal" is hilarious to me. Barbecue no only are you guys assuming they would transition/franchise tag him two years in a row, you also are asserting that they would love to have paid him that. The contract never was about the money. Its about the clauses placed. 

If you think a no franchise/transition tag clause is very important as they can now do nothing at all if he opts out of the contract. Then there is the whole, you know OPT OUT CLAUSE. He literally would be paid 18 million (9('14)+9('15) for those of you counting at home) + base salary whatever that may be, just to play two years somewhere. That is an awful contract already. Then if hes hurt or playing horribly he can get an extra 8 million just for not opting out. So if you think this is some sort of simple/easy to match contract then you are wrong. 

I for one wouldnt want the Jaguars to match anything that looked so awful. WOOOO two years, who cares if you are not doing anything this year and next? Its about year 3 people. 

Follow me on twitter @Demetrius82

Quote:Impossible? If it was impossible to create a contract that they couldn't match then why are we even bothering? 

Just because they can match it, doesn't mean they will.  It's a pretty simple concept really.  Otherwise the transition tag is just basically a franchise tag.  60% isn't even that good of a chance.  When the weatherman says "60% chance of rain", there's a good chance it won't.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

You do understand they aren't going to put a contract together that puts the Jaguars in a bad spot, right?  They're going to put a deal together that might sting a bit for the Jags, but that they hope will cause Cleveland to pause before instantly matching it.  I'm sure in your vast experience negotiating for nickels and dimes added to your hourly rate gives you the proper perspective on the best approach here.

They composed a offer in which they felt was appropriate for the value that they perceive Mack has to them. Not rocket science man.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:We tried.   I just don't think we got there.   We'll see.   There's a chance.  

Unfortunately that chance is like what Lauren Holly told Lloyd in D & D.... 

You must not have read what he wrote. There was always a chance browns would match unless we wrote such an outlandish contract that was bad for us. Point is, our GM'S job is to make it difficult for them while also making a good deal for ourselves

Another point. Caldwell has been working on this thing for how long? How many hours went into this? You honestly think he is going to work this hard just to send something over that has no chance?

Because what else do you want them to do? Sit on their hands and just over analyze the draft? This didnt waste anytime, and only money it cost was a steak dinner and a flight into Jax. Thats it. 

Quote:The notion that Mack is going to be playing on a "cheaper deal" is hilarious to me. Barbecue no only are you guys assuming they would transition/franchise tag him two years in a row, you also are asserting that they would love to have paid him that. The contract never was about the money. Its about the clauses placed. 

If you think a no franchise/transition tag clause is very important as they can now do nothing at all if he opts out of the contract. Then there is the whole, you know OPT OUT CLAUSE. He literally would be paid 18 million (9('14)+9('15) for those of you counting at home) + base salary whatever that may be, just to play two years somewhere. That is an awful contract already. Then if hes hurt or playing horribly he can get an extra 8 million just for not opting out. So if you think this is some sort of simple/easy to match contract then you are wrong. 

I for one wouldnt want the Jaguars to match anything that looked so awful. WOOOO two years, who cares if you are not doing anything this year and next? Its about year 3 people. 
Toss in the fact that they can't trade him either, and it makes the deal even less appealing for Cleveland.  If they match it, they're stuck.

TMD, I just want to thank you. I am having a slow day at work and watching you get raked over the coals in this thread and kept me entertained. Keep it up!

A lot on here expected more from the Jags in terms of the contract. Like what? You want them to cripple themselves? No you dont. They made the best offer they could have without actually making a fool of themselves in the process. Its a tough contract. Think of it as if you are the one with Mack already. As if you were the Browns. Would you match that? Probably not.