Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 01:52 PM by SmallChange.)

Quote:You're welcome, but the question remains, why did we have to do this for you?   What did we do that you could not have done yourself?  
Browns Owner Jimmy Haslem Fired and Reorganized Front office getting rid of President and Asst GM

New GM, Owner, Coach Team President and a couple of ball boys I think <tic>went out to the west coast to visit Mack on a last minute push to get Mack to sign a long term deal.

Mack was determined to test free agency. Business is Business. He also was unsure aboutthe stability of the front office and coaching situations.

Browns GM Farmer applied Transition Tag instead of Franchise Tag which would have cost the Browns more and no other team would have paid the price for it.

It allowed Mack to go out and seek his own deal, set his price and the Browns could Match it. It was Risky to let some other team set the price but it was the only way to retain him.

Now they have 2 years to show him/ convince him to stay or Get another center here in the next year or 2 and groom him as the replacement.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:lol, that looks like the fat guy that hated RJ from "No Retreat, No Surrender"....

Wow I never thought anyone else has ever seen that movie. One of my favorites.
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:It is apparent that the Browns were going to sign him regardless. They took all but a few hours to do so. And 1 to 2 million more isn't guaranteeing the entire contract, not even close so even if they are posturing about that, it is obvious to anyone who doesn't have an agenda that the Browns would have signed him even if they did what you suggested. And that means in your eyes we would have failed. We couldn't win. It was a no win situation for you. This is why people question whether you are a Jag fan.

The part I think you are forgetting is this is Mack's contract not the Jags. This still has to be something we are comfortable with, not a "get him at all cost type of thing." After seeing the contract he has I'll gladly pass. Mack is a great player but I'm happy we aren't paying that bill. Centers are important but let's remember we are talking about a center. Meester in his prime was very good and would never have commanded such a high contract.

Quote:As I stated there was no way we were going to let Mack go. Thanks for saving us a couple of mil. Maybe we can do the same for the Jags sometime. Now all we have to do is hope the Jags take Manziel at 3 so we get Sammy Watkins. Keep up the good work and GO BROWNS!!

Why do you think we saved "yall" a couple mil? He's the higher paid center in the league lol. It's funny to me that skid fans think that us over paying for him is a good thing for them. The is a horrible contract for any GM to okay

Quote:Why do you think we saved "yall" a couple mil? He's the higher paid center in the league lol. It's funny to me that skid fans think that us over paying for him is a good thing for them. That is a horrible contract for any GM to okay

Actually it's a good contract. He was gonna be the highest paid center anyways but the contract he signed is only slightly more then what Ryan Kalil got 2 1/2 years ago. Kalil got 6 years for $49,116,000 or an average of $8,186,000 a year with $19 mill guaranteed and Mack supposedly gets 5 years for $42 mill or an average of $8,400,000 a year with $26 mill guaranteed. A lot of people were thinking he was gonna get in the $10 mill a year range since he is probably one of the top 3 centers in the league.

Deals like this is why CLE never wins. Great move by Dave overall.

Quote:Actually it's a good contract. He was gonna be the highest paid center anyways but the contract he signed is only slightly more then what Ryan Kalil got 2 1/2 years ago. Kalil got 6 years for $49,116,000 or an average of $8,186,000 a year with $19 mill guaranteed and Mack supposedly gets 5 years for $42 mill or an average of $8,400,000 a year with $26 mill guaranteed. A lot of people were thinking he was gonna get in the $10 mill a year range since he is probably one of the top 3 centers in the league.

It's a bad deal from the stand point of the language in the contract. That's the type of deal where after 2 years he can say I want a bigger contract or I void and leave. A player can hold a team hostage with a contract like that especially if he keeps up the pro bowl level of play and other guys start making more than him.

The implications of this contract are not good by any means and is bad business. I kind of question our GM for even offering this type of deal

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM by SmallChange.)

Quote:It's a bad deal from the stand point of the language in the contract. That's the type of deal where after 2 years he can say I want a bigger contract or I void and leave. A player can hold a team hostage with a contract like that especially if he keeps up the pro bowl level of play and other guys start making more than him.

The implications of this contract are not good by any means and is bad business. I kind of question our GM for even offering this type of deal
It's a deal the Browns Can live with for 2 or 3 years, especially with the cap going up. 

In the interim the Browns can draft or bring in another player in the next year or 2 that they can groom if they are worried about Mack bailing. it also says to players around the league and to fans that we will pay to keep our own guys

In the meantime they have Mack for 2 years whatever happens.

Unless you guys loaded this contract with bonus money that would have caused cap implications or perhaps made him a free agent after year 1 we were gonna match regardless.

Quote:It's a deal the Browns Can live with for 2 or 3 years, especially with the cap going up.

In the interim the Browns can draft or bring in another player in the next year or 2 that they can groom if they are worried about Mack bailing. it also says to players around the league and to fans that we will pay to keep our own guys

In the meantime they have Mack for 2 years whatever happens.

Unless you guys loaded this contract with bonus money that would have caused cap implications or perhaps made him a free agents we were gonna match regardless.

I get all of that just a contract that gives a guy the opportunity to take money and leave when he wants or can have leverage for a new deal after 1 year is not a good deal. If we would have signed him I would have not been happy with that deal.

Etdavis2006
Why not?

He's one of the top centers in the league so your gonna have to pay him top center money and as I posted earlier the numbers are only slightly better then Kalil's and that agreement was made 2 1/2 years ago. Really the only negative thing about the deal is him being able to opt out after year 2. I know some people don't like paying a Center that kind of money but if you want a quality player you got to pay for it, if you want to be cheap your going to get a less quality player. The only way to get a good player thats cheap is to draft him and that only lasts until his rookie contract runs out.

Quote:Etdavis2006

Why not?

He's one of the top centers in the league so your gonna have to pay him top center money and as I posted earlier the numbers are only slightly better then Kalil's and that agreement was made 2 1/2 years ago. Really the only negative thing about the deal is him being able to opt out after year 2. I know some people don't like paying a Center that kind of money but if you want a quality player you got to pay for it, if you want to be cheap your going to get a less quality player. The only way to get a good player thats cheap is to draft him and that only lasts until his rookie contract runs out.

Again the money is not the issue although it is very high. The issue is the language of the contract. I would not want anyone who has that type of opt out ability to after 2 years laced in the contract. What to stop him from not only leaving after 2 years but using it as a bargaining chip to get a bigger contract if other centers around the league start getting paid? This contract is great for Mack but not for the team and I would not be surprised to see him use it to get a bigger deal later. 

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 10:34 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Again the money is not the issue although it is very high. The issue is the language of the contract. I would not want anyone who has that type of opt out ability to after 2 years laced in the contract. What to stop him from not only leaving after 2 years but using it as a bargaining chip to get a bigger contract if other centers around the league start getting paid? This contract is great for Mack but not for the team and I would not be surprised to see him use it to get a bigger deal later. 
Right, and the Browns fans are saying even if he does opt out after 2 years it was still worth matching...which I both agree and disagree with. I disgree about if he really is good enough to be worth top C money. PFF didn't even have him top 10 in their pass blocking efficiency rankings. Yes he is a very good run blocker, and perfect durability is worth a lot too, but I just don't think tossing a extra couple mil more to make the Browns think would have made sense for the Jags. We offered a bit more than he is really worth I believe, and the Browns did what they said we would do. 

[Image: Bk-NaZ6CYAA0sZ0.png]

In fact...

Pro Football Focus ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@PFF</span>  Apr 11
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">21st, 11th, 16th in PBE last three seasons.

Quote:Browns fan here. I will try to answer that question for you.

That's where you lost me...

Huh

I'm over it, they got him, whatever.

Isn't the first time the Jags have disappointed me, and it most certainly won't be the last...

I just hope its not Stork. 

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014, 10:34 AM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:For any and all suggesting the attempt to sign Mack was a waste of time and/or destined to fail, just remember;

1.  The Jaguars put together a more attractive offer than any other team in the league came forward with.

2.  Mack found the deal acceptable.and Cleveland was forced to pay the max to retain him.  

3.  Coldwell has proven the team is prepared to pay serious money for the right talent. This fact will not go unnoticed by other players          and agents and helps restore a little credibility to the franchise.  

4.  In two years Mack will likely be a FA at age 30 and probably still one of the better centers in the game.  Who do you think his first call        will be to? 

If the Jags dont improve on the field but still have plenty of cap space, the only reason they will come here is for the money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I'm over it, they got him, whatever.

Isn't the first time the Jags have disappointed me, and it most certainly won't be the last...

What moves this season have the Jags impressed you with?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

You set yourself up for disappointment.  Don't blame the team for that.

Huh

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014, 10:43 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:What moves this season have the Jags impressed you with?

After the dust settled, I like the Doss, Hood, both Seattle additions (but they were easy), and Gerhart moves. 

Not crazy about the Beadles move as I don't think he's that good and he was overpaid. THat move has a Pashos flair about it....

Also, Guards should & can be got in the 3rd day of the draft. 

I'm sure they're concerned that they've disappointed an Eagles fan.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:You set yourself up for disappointment.  Don't blame the team for that.

It's what gets him through the day