Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Raise the Jolly Roger
TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Alex Wood.....I don't understand this guy, had great numbers in the minors, albeit wasn't there long....

Why isn't he seen as a top prospect? He's pitched well enough this season to be 6-1, despite him now owning a 2-5 record due to much lack of run support. 

Any Braves fans fill me in about this pitcher?....

Has a great K-BB ratio....but maybe he's too much in the zone, as his batting average against is above .250

Not a Braves fan, but because of his unorthodox delivery and pitching motion with his arm, many didn't think he would hold up as a starter and would end up in the pen. So far so good for him.

Quote:Just to follow up on the last post.....Stephen Strasburg is garbage. Starting to hate this guy. Supposed to be an ace and he gets hit around by that light hitting bunch?? Nibbles too much and apparently doesn't really have much of a dependable "out" pitch. Strasburg is no Fernandez. Too weak between the ears.
huh

Strasburg is every bit an ace.

Quote:The Rays are still in the basement but only a few games seperate every team in the East.

The injuries to the pitching staff have been killer. Matt Moore done for the year. Cobb and Hellickson out. If they can stay at least around .500 going into June, I feel good about our chances.

I hope Maddon doesn't put Peralta in as many high leverage situations this year like in previous years. His age and usage is finally catching up to him. Has very little left in the tank.

Really need to get another arm via trade or hope Oviedo or Boxberger can be that guy with Balfour and. McGee.

Quote:Not a Braves fan, but because of his unorthodox delivery and pitching motion with his arm, many didn't think he would hold up as a starter and would end up in the pen. So far so good for him.

THANK YOU!!!

This is the type of stuff I was looking for. 

I was just curious, because his numbers were very good in the minors, but he also didn't have many innings pitched.....I had assumed it was because he just moved up so quickly in the minor league ranks. But thats where the curious part comes in - because for someone so impressive as a minor league pitcher as he was, he wasn't even ranked within the top 100 prospects from Baseball America or similar outlets. Thats highly unusual for someone that was producing as well as he was. 

Now, given the above, some light is starting to be shed. 

Quote:huh

Strasburg is every bit an ace.

His WHIPS right now is horrible for an "ace". 

I know his arm talent is off the charts, but for whatever reason, this guy tends to lose focus and have too many mistake pitches at the wrong time. Its partly why despite being an "Ace" that he only had what - 8 wins last season?? He should be up around 18-20 wins per year with his arm talent as well as that team around him. 

Quote:His WHIPS right now is horrible for an "ace". 

I know his arm talent is off the charts, but for whatever reason, this guy tends to lose focus and have too many mistake pitches at the wrong time. Its partly why despite being an "Ace" that he only had what - 8 wins last season?? He should be up around 18-20 wins per year with his arm talent as well as that team around him.

Wins is a team stat, shouldn't judge a pitcher from it. You pointed it out earlier in this thread with Alex Wood.

Only negative on him has been his durability thus far, but when he has been healthy, he has been on of the best pitchers in the game. No doubt about it.

Quote:THANK YOU!!!

This is the type of stuff I was looking for. 

I was just curious, because his numbers were very good in the minors, but he also didn't have many innings pitched.....I had assumed it was because he just moved up so quickly in the minor league ranks. But thats where the curious part comes in - because for someone so impressive as a minor league pitcher as he was, he wasn't even ranked within the top 100 prospects from Baseball America or similar outlets. Thats highly unusual for someone that was producing as well as he was. 

Now, given the above, some light is starting to be shed.

They do those rankings more on potential and tools than production. Maybe Wood added another pitch to his arsenal after he was drafted.

Using Rays as examples, James Shields and Alex Cobb had very good minor success, but were really never thought of as more than mid rotation types at best. Shields added a curve and cutter and has become a top of the rotation starter. Ditto with Cobb, who actually got his curveball from Shields.

Raise the Jolly Roger!

;

O's guaranteed themselves a series win versus Tampa last night. I thought Hunter was going to blow it, but he worked his way through.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Jose Fernandez on the DL with an elbow sprain. We'll find out after the MRI if he'll need the dreaded Tommy John surgery.

HUGE blow for the Marlins and baseball in general. Dude is flat out fun to watch. As a Mets fan, I can relate to how you Marlins fans are feeling right now. 

Quote:Jose Fernandez on the DL with an elbow sprain. We'll find out after the MRI if he'll need the dreaded Tommy John surgery.

HUGE blow for the Marlins and baseball in general. Dude is flat out fun to watch. As a Mets fan, I can relate to how you Marlins fans are feeling right now. 

He's done.

The sad part about it is this will probably take 2 years for him to completely heal and be comfortable on the mound.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Raise The Jolly Roger!
;

Funny how things work. In what many thought may be the best Rays team ever, they may very well have there worst season in their last seven. Another crushing loss tonight.

Price and maybe Zobrist? rumors should be starting soon if things don't get turned around by mid-June

Freddie Freeman is hitting .378 with RISP. Now about that pesky problem of getting RISP...

Cards bailed them out today.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Raise the Jolly Roger!

;

Fish went 4-7 on the West Coast. Not too bad in this instance.

NL East is definitely up for grabs. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Hey Trav, we took down the Jolly Roger last night. Hope you don't mind. ; )

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2014, 11:12 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:Hey Trav, we took down the Jolly Roger last night. Hope you don't mind. ; )
I do mind. Thanks for asking. Got a 1-0 lead and then down hill from there. 9-2 right?? Sick

Hoping we get to raise it tonight. In other news, although I would rather the Buccos win, I did get a W in fantasy out of Miguel Gonzalez. 3.0 era and 1.17 whip. Not a bad start early in week there. :confused:

;

Went up to St Louis and watched a game on Saturday. Is it me, but are all the ball parks turning into the same thing? Baltimore, Pittsburgh, St Louis all really resemble one another.

I will say I got to watch the Nathan's hot dog eating challenge before the game. Bad Lands Booker lost by 1/2 a hot dog at the end. Joey Chestnut was there as a judge...he apparently has a free ride since he won into the contest. They only ate 28 hot dogs (only....) Joey Chestnut is going to wipe the floor with them.