Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 10:39 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:TMD, lets make a bet. I bet Martinez finishes in the top 72 on ESPNs player rater. That is top 6 round value in 12 team leagues.

Put your pride where your mouth is.

Ok, I say he doesn't. If he gets injured, too bad, the bet stands. Old players get hurt often...thats part of my reasoning for predicting the slow down. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fish win again and pull to within a half game of the Braves! Man it really sucks to not have our ace in a season where it looks like we may FINALLY be turning the corner.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Fish win again and pull to within a half game of the Braves! Man it really sucks to not have our ace in a season where it looks like we may FINALLY be turning the corner.

yep, gotta say that while I expected improvement by the Marlins this season, I never expected them to be this close to 1st place, this fast. 

Quote:yep, gotta say that while I expected improvement by the Marlins this season, I never expected them to be this close to 1st place, this fast. 

Yeah, the future looks really bright in Miami (if they can lock up Stanton and Fernandez long term). They have Heaney about ready to come up and the #2 pick in tomorrows draft, to net them one of Brady Aiken/Carlos Rodon. That's going to be a mean, mean rotation for many years to come.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Yeah, the future looks really bright in Miami (if they can lock up Stanton and Fernandez long term). They have Heaney about ready to come up and the #2 pick in tomorrows draft, to net them one of Brady Aiken/Carlos Rodon. That's going to be a mean, mean rotation for many years to come.

well, or until the next fire sale.... 

As a Marlin fan, you already know that tho...

They'll build it until they win another WS, and then poof, gone. 

TMD, to keep it in good faith and to maybe get past our bickering, lets make it a fun one. Winner gets to name the others fantasy team baseball team for the first month of next season?

With all due respect to Max Scherzer who is likely headed for a huge payday in the next few months,  I'm of the opinion that Anibal Sanchez is the best pitcher on the Tigers.  Sanchez had a 2.57 ERA last season and currently has a 2.15 ERA this season.   His Innings to hit ratio in both seasons has been off the charts.  

Even with a stint on the D.L. last season and a stint on the D.L. this season,   overall Sanchez has easily performed like a top 10 pitcher since the start of the 2013 season.   The other night is an example of why Sanchez doesn't get enough recognition.   Sanchez pitched 7 scoreless innings against a high quality Blue Jays Offense,  in what became an eventual loss to no fault of Sanchez.   He doesn't get the run support that the team's other starters usually get.   Hence,  the win total doesn't reflect how good of a pitcher Sanchez has been for the Tigers.

By the way, I have Cliff Lee on one of my two fantasy teams (not in first place in that one lol). As a phillies fan, what's his outlook?

D6, I strongly disagree. If the Tigers are in game 1 of the playoffs, Scherzer will and should be on the mound. It isn't a knock on Sanchez because I think Sanchez > Verlander at this point, but Scherzer is elite.

Quote:D6, I strongly disagree. If the Tigers are in game 1 of the playoffs, Scherzer will and should be on the mound. It isn't a knock on Sanchez because I think Sanchez > Verlander at this point, but Scherzer is elite.

I agree with you that Max Scherzer likely would be the Game # 1 pitcher in a playoff situation.   He's an ace caliber pitcher in his own right.   Plus,  Anibal Sanchez did struggle against Oakland in the playoffs last season.   Yet, overall,  I like the consistency over the course of a long season that Sanchez brings to the table.  I can't think of any starting pitcher in MLB that has been able to match Sanchez'  ERA and innings to hits ratio over the last two seasons.    IMO,  Sanchez is the most underrated starting pitcher in MLB.  

Quote:well, or until the next fire sale.... 

As a Marlin fan, you already know that tho...

They'll build it until they win another WS, and then poof, gone. 

Hopefully we've moved past that with the new park. If we break up this young core, I may be done as a fan of MLB.

Quote:TMD, to keep it in good faith and to maybe get past our bickering, lets make it a fun one. Winner gets to name the others fantasy team baseball team for the first month of next season?

ok

Quote:By the way, I have Cliff Lee on one of my two fantasy teams (not in first place in that one lol). As a phillies fan, what's his outlook?

I wouldn't be depending on him. Even if/ when he comes back, he's slowly creeping up to the point where Halladay was, preceeding him. I purposely avoided drafting him this year. The Phillies are a mess all around. 

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014, 02:02 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:I agree with you that Max Scherzer likely would be the Game # 1 pitcher in a playoff situation.   He's an ace caliber pitcher in his own right.   Plus,  Anibal Sanchez did struggle against Oakland in the playoffs last season.   Yet, overall,  I like the consistency over the course of a long season that Sanchez brings to the table.  I can't think of any starting pitcher in MLB that has been able to match Sanchez'  ERA and innings to hits ratio over the last two seasons.    IMO,  Sanchez is the most underrated starting pitcher in MLB.  

To be fair, Sanchez is sporting a .229 BABIP right now that is unsustainable, which is a big reason his WHIP is so phenomenal right now. Also, his HR/FB% is 0. Those are two important numbers and are likely to revert back to his mean (.298 BABIP and 7.8 HR/FB%) and raise his hits per inning.

Last year, Scherzer game up 152 hits in 214 innings.

Sanchez gave up 156 hits in 182 innings.

Scherzer has given up 0.758 hits per inning the past two seasons combined.

Sanchez has given up .801 hits per inning the past two seasons combined.

I do agree that Sanchez is criminally underrated. He would be the #1 pitcher on a lot of teams. I just don't think he is better than the 2013 AL Cy Young winner.

My Buccos give up one hit, a bunt, and lose. Really? Man I was hoping for the sweep!

That being said, the Pirates have been playing much better lately. Creeping closer to .500

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:My Buccos give up one hit, a bunt, and lose. Really? Man I was hoping for the sweep!

That being said, the Pirates have been playing much better lately. Creeping closer to .500

Had they called up Polanco about a month and a half ago, instead of being cheap, maybe they would have saved their season. 

Quote:Had they called up Polanco about a month and a half ago, instead of being cheap, maybe they would have saved their season. 
Completely understand why they did it. I also completely wish they had brought him up already. I still think they're going to make a run at a wc spot. Nutting, since taking over, is nothing like the cheap skate that McClatchy was, not even close, so for that I am happy.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014, 10:01 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Completely understand why they did it. I also completely wish they had brought him up already. I still think they're going to make a run at a wc spot. Nutting, since taking over, is nothing like the cheap skate that McClatchy was, not even close, so for that I am happy.

Its just that when a player is ready, he's ready. 

By that point Polanco had nothing left to prove in the minors, (and please spare me the team rhetoric on the "finer points" that they been working on the past month, garbage. He was ready by mid April. 

Oh well, water under the bridge now. 

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 12:00 AM by jagsfreak27.)

The Marlins take Kolek at #2. I would have love to see Rodon, but I'm sure the price tag scared Loria away and Kolek is a hell of a pitcher in his own right. He's the first HS pitcher to hit 100 on the gun and has even touched 103. I wouldn't be surprised to see him touch 105+ as he continues to develop.

EDIT: Fish win again to complete the four game home/home sweep of the Rays!

Stupid redsox.. Loose a bunch.. Win a bunch.. Loose a bunch.. Grrrr

Quote:The Marlins take Kolek at #2. I would have love to see Rodon, but I'm sure the price tag scared Loria away and Kolek is a hell of a pitcher in his own right. He's the first HS pitcher to hit 100 on the gun and has even touched 102. I wouldn't be surprised to see him touch 105+ as he continues to develop.

EDIT: Fish win again to complete the four game home/home sweep of the Rays!

Yo Marlin fan.....whats your non homer take on Ozuna?