Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Quote:I got on here to pose the question. A's or Tigers rotation.

I'd take the A's rotation right now over Detroit's if I had to pick one.

But why? The playoffs are all about aces and Scherzer and Price are the two best pitchers on either staff. Lester is having an extremely good season, but he isn't as reliable or proven as Scherzer and Price. Don't fool yourself.

If I had to rank the rotation 1 through 10, it would look like:

1. Scherzer

2. Price

3. Lester

4. Gray

5. Kazmir

6. Sanchez

7. Shark

8. Verlander

9. Porcello

10. Hammel

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 02:04 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:But why? The playoffs are all about aces and Scherzer and Price are the two best pitchers on either staff. Lester is having an extremely good season, but he isn't as reliable or proven as Scherzer and Price. Don't fool yourself.

If I had to rank the rotation 1 through 10, it would look like:

1. Scherzer

2. Price

3. Lester

4. Gray

5. Kazmir

6. Sanchez

7. Shark

8. Verlander

9. Porcello

10. Hammel
Tough to be wrong either way, and a case can be made for both. I don't think there is a wrong answer. One of the deciding factors for me is ERA, and the A's are better there. Cespedes will hurt, but when you give up so few runs like they do, you are always in it. Oakland is also +162 in run differential making those ERA's even prettier.

Adding Price will help this, but the A's are 1, 1, 2, 2 in Runs scored, starters ERA, Bellpen ERA and Def. Efficency while Detroit is 4, 5, 14, 11. Detroit will also now be playing with Rajai Davis and Ezequiel Carrera. Speed, yup? Defensive liabilities, yup too.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

Cespedes will hurt, but when you give up so few runs like they do, you are always in it.

Wow.....almost verbatim what was said about the Phillies in the "4 horsemen" era that won nothing because they couldn't hit enough. 

Oh, well....they won a bunch of regular season games (which really means little in the big picture)....but in the playoffs, where'd just having those pitchers take them? quickly bounced outta the playoffs, thats where. 

When the Phillies won in 2008, they had one of, if not the best lineup's in the sport. They had maybe ONE starting pitcher that was seen as "elite", in Hamels. Now they had other good starters that did their jobs well enough... too.

The Phillies bullpen in 2008 was indeed elite, however, and thats what I think is more important. Having the top lineup and elite bullpen is a better recipe for success in the MLB playoffs. 

Detroit is fine however, at least lineup wise, since they only lost Austin Jackson to acquire Price. Oakland lost one of their main offensive weapons and a core piece of their lineup to get Lester. 

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Wow.....almost verbatim what was said about the Phillies in the "4 horsemen" era that won nothing because they couldn't hit enough. 

Oh, well....they won a bunch of regular season games (which really means little in the big picture)....but in the playoffs, where'd just having those pitchers take them? quickly bounced outta the playoffs, thats where. 

When the Phillies won in 2008, they had one of, if not the best lineup's in the sport. They had maybe ONE starting pitcher that was seen as "elite", in Hamels. Now they had other good starters that did their jobs well enough... too.

The Phillies bullpen in 2008 was indeed elite, however, and thats what I think is more important. Having the top lineup and elite bullpen is a better recipe for success in the MLB playoffs. 

Detroit is fine however, at least lineup wise, since they only lost Austin Jackson to acquire Price. Oakland lost one of their main offensive weapons and a core piece of their lineup to get Lester. 
Couldn't care less if that was said or not with the Phillies. Guess what, it held true with the 90's Braves for the most part too. Different teams and stories.

I've said Cespedes loss will hurt, but Detroit is hurting too with their new center fielders.

;

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Couldn't care less if that was said or not with the Phillies. Guess what, it held true with the 90's Braves for the most part too. Different teams and stories.
I already brought up the Braves, too a few posts ago. Another example that backs my side. 

LOL....Detroit losing Jackson is a very manageable loss. They already have guys that are adequate at the position such as Davis. 

Losing Cespedes in that lineup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Losing Austin Jackson

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 02:25 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:I already brought up the Braves, too a few posts ago. Another example that backs my side. 

LOL....Detroit losing Jackson is a very manageable loss. They already have guys that are adequate at the position such as Davis. 

Losing Cespedes in that lineup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Losing Austin Jackson
The A's have won games without a stellar lineup all season. Davis is a liability defensivley and average at best at the plate.

;

Quote:LOL, yeah......losing Austin friggin Jackson from the lineup is the same as losing Cespedes. Laughing

I guess you aren't as bright as I assumed you were.
Coming from you, that's a compliment.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Couldn't care less if that was said or not with the Phillies. Guess what, it held true with the 90's Braves for the most part too. Different teams and stories.

I've said Cespedes loss will hurt, but Detroit is hurting too with their new center fielders.

Rajai in CF is meh. The triple A player they brought up is supposedly a very good defensive CF.

Quote:Coming from you, that's a compliment.
Amen

;

Quote:Rajai in CF is meh. The triple A player they brought up is supposedly a very good defensive CF.
He's fast too and a meh defensive guy too. Neither will do much at the plate either.

;

Quote:He's fast too and a meh defensive guy too. Neither will do much at the plate either.

I didn't realize Austin Jackson was the second coming of Tony Gwynn. 

Quote:Coming from you, that's a compliment.

Quote:Amen

Aww, thats nice. You found a playmate. 

Quote:He's fast too and a meh defensive guy too. Neither will do much at the plate either.

Do they need to? The Tigers offense ranks:

5th in runs scored

2nd in batting average

3rd in on base percentage

2nd in slugging percentage

Don't think either will be asked to do much at the plate.

Also, a thing being overlooked is Price's ability to go late in games. This will help cover up the Tigers biggest issue, which is their bullpen.

Quote:The A's staff is solid, but come on now.

1. Scherzer and Price are both better than any pitcher in the A's rotation.

2. Shark and Sanchez are pretty equal.

3. Porcello > Hammel.

So the only edge Oakland has is whoever you call their #3 guy (Kazmir or Gray) over Verlander.

You are underestimating the value of aces come playoff time. In a 7 game series, 4 games are going to be started by Scherzer and Price. That is huge.

Perhaps you are overestimating the value of "aces" come playoff time. Is Verlander an ace anymore? Some of these guys (for both teams) seem to be having career years. Does that make them an ace?

I didn't say the A's staff is better. But it might be. Let's wait until they play the games. We don't even know who will be healthy come October.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 04:00 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Perhaps you are overestimating the value of "aces" come playoff time. Is Verlander an ace anymore? Some of these guys (for both teams) seem to be having career years. Does that make them an ace?

I didn't say the A's staff is better. But it might be. Let's wait until they play the games. We don't even know who will be healthy come October.

Verlander is not an ace anymore and might actually be better served in the bullpen come playoff time. However, he did flip on a switch last postseason and was absolutely dominant (In 22 innings, he posted a 0.39 ERA, a 0.56 WHIP, and 12.1 K/9. That is 1 earned run all post-season).

I am not underestimating the value of aces. Teams drop down to 4 man rotations come playoffs. In a 5 or 7 game series, your #1 and #2 guys will both get two starts. Having the best #1 and #2 guys (Scherzer and Price) gives the Tigers a sizeable advantage in games 1, 2, 5, and 6.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

I am not (over)estimating the value of aces. Teams drop down to 4 man rotations come playoffs. In a 5 or 7 game series, your #1 and #2 guys will both get two starts. Having the best #1 and #2 guys (Scherzer and Price) gives the Tigers a sizeable advantage in games 1, 2, 5, and 6.

Yep,....and now will also face a significantly weaker Oakland lineup in such games, too. (well, thats if Oakland even advances that far)

More food for thought:

Verlander had 2 starts @ Oakland in the 2013 postseason.

Game 2:

8 Innings, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 10 Strikeouts

Game 5:

7 Innings, 4 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 11 Strikeouts

Not bad for someone who will be our #4, at best, option this post-season.

Boston recalls Mookie Betts.....again.....

Will John Farrell actually handle it right this time and play him everyday and in one of the top 2 spots in the lineup, so he can have the best chance to succeed?? Probably not. John Farrell is a tool. 

Quote:Boston recalls Mookie Betts.....again.....

Will John Farrell actually handle it right this time and play him everyday and in one of the top 2 spots in the lineup, so he can have the best chance to succeed?? Probably not. John Farrell is a tool. 

Lol what a mess.

Cespedes is being seriously overrated. Great power hitter, no doubt. But the A's have plenty of power without him with. Norris, Moss, and Donaldson, and even Jaso is slugging over .450

I think they're going with a Gomes/Fuld platoon in LF now? But what they miss in his power, they will gainwith much better OBP. Cespedes has been at about .300 these last two years, in other words, awful.