Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

A team that "has fallen off" should not be 11 games above .500.

Like I said before:

1. Anyone that expected Milwaukee to sustain their early season success was dumb.

2. Anyone that expected Milwaukee to fall out of contention was dumb.

That NL Central race is going to come down to the wire, but Milwaukee looks to be in it until the end.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Any idea where you read or heard that from?  Not doubting you, just a Cubs fan that hadn't heard that before and would be interested in reading about it if it's online somewhere.  

It was from an article posted on this site, IIRC: 

http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/advice/

Either that or it was part of an article stemming from a Chicago newspapers' sports section on Bryant/ Baez. 

I read it approx 2-3 weeks back. 

Quote:Still can't quite figure out how they are sustaining success with that bullpen, but I'm happy the bats are working. I was a bit scared of the Toronto series but they pulled it out.

The bullpen has been carrying the team. The starting pitching has been better since the break. I just can't believe they are playing so well on the road. Pitching and defense, it's the Orioles way.

Quote:It was from an article posted on this site, IIRC: 

http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/advice/

Either that or it was part of an article stemming from a Chicago newspapers' sports section on Bryant/ Baez. 

I read it approx 2-3 weeks back. 

I only could find two articles involving him, none were about that.  I'll have to do some more digging when I get time.  He's an intriguing prospect but he strikesout....a LOT.  He also hits a lot of HRs too.  Either way I can't wait until he gets called up next year to see what he's got.  Hopefully they can buy some pitching to fit with the power/offense they have in their young prospects.  Next year should be an interesting one if guys like Bryant/Baez can develop at the big league level as they have in AAA/AA ball.  Three potential 30+ HR guys in Rizzo, Baez and Bryant if things pan out as I hope.

Quote:I only could find two articles involving him, none were about that.  I'll have to do some more digging when I get time.  He's an intriguing prospect but he strikesout....a LOT.  He also hits a lot of HRs too.  Either way I can't wait until he gets called up next year to see what he's got.  Hopefully they can buy some pitching to fit with the power/offense they have in their young prospects.  Next year should be an interesting one if guys like Bryant/Baez can develop at the big league level as they have in AAA/AA ball.  Three potential 30+ HR guys in Rizzo, Baez and Bryant if things pan out as I hope.

Heres another article:

http://fansided.com/2014/07/23/chicago-c...-outfield/

Raise it
TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Raise it

You're welcome

Trav, can I get an NL central breakdown?

Quote:Trav, can I get an NL central breakdown?
Is your internet broke ? Brewers 1, 1.5 ahead of the Pirates. Cards two yards back.
;

Quote:Please do

Once again, you're welcome.

Couldn't quite manage the sweep, but I'll take another series win.

Pirates jumpin all over Upton, I mean Verlander. 5-1 in 1st and threatening.
;

Baltimore loses Machado for the game and ends up scoring ten straight runs with Davis, Cruz, and Schoop all going yard.

The Cruz hit was a monster shot that went into the bullpen at Camden Yards.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Ruh Roh. Tigers stinking it up and the Royals going bananas. Not good.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:Ruh Roh. Tigers stinking it up and the Royals going bananas. Not good.
I'll take a 3 out of 4 with Detroit. Scherzer pitching last game

;

I'd love to see the Royals hang in there all the way - just to read Joe Posnanski's take on the whole thing.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Raise The Jolly Roger! Pirates beat Detroit 4-2. Cards, Brewers, Reds lose baby!! Great night.
;

Quote:Why?

Bonds was considered an elite outfielder (8 gold gloves) while that is one of Polanco's weaknesses. Polanco also doesn't possess nearly as much power as pre-roid Bonds. As a 22 year old, Bonds hit 34 doubles, 9 triples, and 25 HRs. Polanco is at 5 doubles, 0 triples, and 5 HRs.

Don't get me wrong, Polanco is an elite prospect with a great future, but Bonds was one of the best players of all time. Even pre-roid.

Your stats are distorted.  You just compared a full season from Bonds vs 49 games for Polanco.  That's like saying Manning had 142 TDs by age 26 and Brady only had 14.  Additonally, Polanco only started playing OF in 2009 whereas Bonds started playing OF the day he was born.

Both have a very smooth swing, are quick in the OF, and have issues hitting LFP.    Oh, and Polanco has a much better throwing arm.    Polanco needs to continue progressing but he has that Bonds/GriffeyJr style.

Growing up in the Burgh, I've watched pretty much every game in the Bonds & Bonilla era -- personally, I liked his game in the pre-roid era.  He was much better in the OF and a base stealing threat.  His arm totally sucked.  I think it was about 1999 when his head exploded in size and his game totally changed.

Quote:Your stats are distorted.  You just compared a full season from Bonds vs 49 games for Polanco.  That's like saying Manning had 142 TDs by age 26 and Brady only had 14.  Additonally, Polanco only started playing OF in 2009 whereas Bonds started playing OF the day he was born.

Both have a very smooth swing, are quick in the OF, and have issues hitting LFP.    Oh, and Polanco has a much better throwing arm.    Polanco needs to continue progressing but he has that Bonds/GriffeyJr style.

Growing up in the Burgh, I've watched pretty much every game in the Bonds & Bonilla era -- personally, I liked his game in the pre-roid era.  He was much better in the OF and a base stealing threat.  His arm totally sucked.  I think it was about 1999 when his head exploded in size and his game totally changed.

So then extrapolate Polanco's production this year over a full season of at-bats and you still have only a fraction of Bonds' 22 year old season.

Again, Bonds was an absolutely elite outfielder. Fielding is Polanco's weakness. If fielding is one players strength and the other players weakness, I don't consider them mirror images of each other. You even add in another big difference in their games and that is arm strength.

Again, pre-roid Bonds was one of the best players of all time. Polanco might be good or great, but he isn't Barry Bonds.

Playing Devil's Advocate with this argument.

If you took current numbers and played it out over a whole season. Polanco would be at 24 doubles, and 18 homeruns. I am still shocked that he has no triples to this point as unbelieveably fast as he is.

I think you also have to take into account that Bonds had a full year in the majors which no doubt helped out what he did when he was at the same age as Polanco. Bonds first year in the pros he had Polanco like numbers (the ones that were brought up here) 26 doubles, 3 triples and 16 homeruns.

;