Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Quote:Playing Devil's Advocate with this argument.

If you took current numbers and played it out over a whole season. Polanco would be at 24 doubles, and 18 homeruns. I am still shocked that he has no triples to this point as unbelieveably fast as he is.

I think you also have to take into account that Bonds had a full year in the majors which no doubt helped out what he did when he was at the same age as Polanco. Bonds first year in the pros he had Polanco like numbers (the ones that were brought up here) 26 doubles, 3 triples and 16 homeruns.

That would be: 660 At-Bats, 24 doubles, 18 HRs for Polanco.

Bonds, a year younger: 413 At-Bats, 26 doubles, 16 HR

Bonds the same age: 551 At-Bats, 34 doubles, 25 HRs,

I'm not trying to knock Polanco because the kid is an absolute stud. I'm just saying that too many times prospects are compared to legends when they shouldn't be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That would be: 660 At-Bats, 24 doubles, 18 HRs for Polanco.

Bonds, a year younger: 413 At-Bats, 26 doubles, 16 HR

Bonds the same age: 551 At-Bats, 34 doubles, 25 HRs,

I'm not trying to knock Polanco because the kid is an absolute stud. I'm just saying that too many times prospects are compared to legends when they shouldn't be.
You keep getting to finer and finer points. I am simply pointing out what was first said. I am simply stating the games played at 21 no doubt helped his next season for Bonds.

Also comparing people to legends is the nature of the beast. It's sports.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Eight straight series wins for the O's. Their pitching isn't the strongest, but they lead the League with the long ball.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Pirates-Tigers split. I knew today would be tough. Let one slip away last night after a 4-1 lead into the fifth.

;

I watched about every single game Bonds and Polanco played at the inception of their career as I lived in Pittsburgh and now have the MLB package.  I can't get lost in the fact that Bonds may have X more doubles at age 22. 

I'll focus on the fact that they both have a very similar swing, stuggle against LH Pitchers (sliders), graceful in the OF although Bonds is ahead due to his OF experience, etc.

... for the record, Polanco has a much better arm. 

Quote:Pirates-Tigers split. I knew today would be tough. Let one slip away last night after a 4-1 lead into the fifth.

Wallbash  No kidding.    Pretty much 4 teams now vying for 3 playoff spots  -- Brewers, Cards, Bucs, and Giants.

Quote:Eight straight series wins for the O's. Their pitching isn't the strongest, but they lead the League with the long ball.

HA !!  I remember being on a business trip in Hunt Valley (Baltimore) 3 years ago and this idiots were calling in the talk show talking optimistically about the future of the O's.   Oh wait, they were right !!!  Love to see them knock the Yankees and Sox from the top !!  Go O's

Quote:HA !!  I remember being on a business trip in Hunt Valley (Baltimore) 3 years ago and this idiots were calling in the talk show talking optimistically about the future of the O's.   Oh wait, they were right !!!  Love to see them knock the Yankees and Sox from the top !!  Go O's

It's really amazing what Showalter has done with that team. Their pitching staff is solid if unspectacular. They are relatively young as well in certain spots so the future does indeed look bright. I'm just hoping that Machado's recent injury issues aren't going to be a career-long item.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I'm no Yankee fan (Braves) but I do respect what Jeter has accomplished and was hoping to catch a game this season to see him one last time in action.

Well.... a friend called with some corporate tickets last week and I got to see the captain from a pretty cool vantage point. (great seats!!)

Here's Jeter at the plate. Taken with my phone - no zoom. 

[Image: 34e40g4.jpg]

(Also witnessed a pretty awesome Beltran grand slam in this one.)

Baseball is a game of numbers. The "human eye" can be pretty deceiving and is often skewed by bias. You obviously have a predetermined view that you won't change despite numbers not being similar. That's fine, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the numbers say Bonds is one of the best players of all time. A bit premature to call Polanco that.

As if things haven't been ugly enough for the Detroit Tigers. Botched bobbleheads of Miguel Cabrera given out. 

Two time National League MVP. Huh?  https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l...19503.html

;

I wish you guys would tell me Detroit has completely fallen off so they can pull a Milwaukee and put themselves comfortably in the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014, 11:48 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

nm

The Pirates absolutley suck right now.

;

20 games over .500. Why not?!

Quote: Wallbash  No kidding.    Pretty much  4  3 teams now vying for 3 playoff spots  -- Brewers, Cards, Bucs, and Giants.
fixed

Quote:I'm no Yankee fan (Braves) but I do respect what Jeter has accomplished and was hoping to catch a game this season to see him one last time in action.

Well.... a friend called with some corporate tickets last week and I got to see the captain from a pretty cool vantage point. (great seats!!)

Here's Jeter at the plate. Taken with my phone - no zoom. 

[Image: 34e40g4.jpg]

(Also witnessed a pretty awesome Beltran grand slam in this one.)
This must have been an awesome feeling.  I envy you. 

The Pirates finally pull off what they've had dive to them quite often over the last few series. A late cone from behind W. Finally.
;

Polanco's not even playing everyday now. 

Travis friggin Snider is starting over him. 

Bust.