Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags FA signings and visits point to one player in the draft at 3

Quote:Mack is our draft pick if Clowney isnt there.  And good chance Clowney isnt there.
I agree with this. You can tell that we are trying to build a team exactly like Seattle. Get that defense playing fast in the secondary but strong upfront. If Garropolo lasts til the 2nd round, that might be our guy but I don't think we are going QB at #3. I think a lot of people are going to pass on these QB's.

I really do like Teddy but I just don't see our team taking him. Clowney, Mack or even Watkins I think at this point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Jadeveon Clowney - notice we aint chasing pass rushers 

[Image: 123013-CFB-South-Carolina-Jadeveon-Clowney-PI-AA.jpg]

Willie Young coming in for a visit today.  I believe he was top 8 in QB hurries last year according to PFF.

You don't give a guy 8m for 2 years, 4.5 guaranteed if you're taking a QB at 3rd overall. 3rd overall is day one starter.

Quote:You don't give a guy 8m for 2 years, 4.5 guaranteed if you're taking a QB at 3rd overall. 3rd overall is day one starter.

and Henne being resigned does nothing to change that possibility. IF we draft a QB in ANY round and he outperforms Henne and the staff feels he gives us the best chance to win i believe gus will play him. I do agree that if you are picking a guy 3rd overall you have the idea of him starting right away which in Bridgewaters case i could easily see.

HEck if we draft a guy like Fales in the 4th and he outperforms Henne id expect him to start.

Quote:Because we can't take a DE with any of these picks in other rounds?

I have a feeling you are going to be reeeeeal mad if we don't take your man crush.

I am having a change of heart on the top three on our board. I don't think our team likes Mack that high, and that he is suited better as an OLB instead of a Leo. I also think the pass rusher we like after Clowney is Dee Ford. Here is my new top three:

Clowney

Watkins

Robinson/Matthews

I am holding out hope on Bridgewater and think it could be a big mistake to pass on him, but Clowney, Mack, and Watkins, I can not be upset about any of those guys being our pick.

Quote:You don't give a guy 8m for 2 years, 4.5 guaranteed if you're taking a QB at 3rd overall. 3rd overall is day one starter.
Vikings did the same thing.  Henne was a necessity as we need a backup regardless.  Throwing caution to the wind and letting Henne and Gabbert go would be foolish.

Quote:Will he be there at 3?

If he's not, Mack probably will.

Then it becomes Mack or Watkins?

Watkins is gaining steam.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Because we can't take a QB with any of these picks in other rounds?

Understand how this works yet?

Quote:I agree with this. You can tell that we are trying to build a team exactly like Seattle. Get that defense playing fast in the secondary but strong upfront. If Garropolo lasts til the 2nd round, that might be our guy but I don't think we are going QB at #3. I think a lot of people are going to pass on these QB's.

I really do like Teddy but I just don't see our team taking him. Clowney, Mack or even Watkins I think at this point.

I hope we're not trying to copy Seattle.  Copying Super Bowl teams seems to so rarely work out.  You need to make your own path.  Not follow somebody else's.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I hope we're not trying to copy Seattle.  Copying Super Bowl teams seems to so rarely work out.  You need to make your own path.  Not follow somebody else's.

How is it that much different than the Steelers and Ravens?  Stout defense, young roster, offense that limits mistakes/turnovers.

Quote:I've been watching tape on Mack and besides the Ohio St game I'm actually not impressed. I want to be impressed but I'm just not. That game against Baylor was awful! No impact on the game at all. I hope if we pick him that I'm wrong, but I just don't see it with him and I think people need to look at his tape a little bit more before clamoring for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb1nhZliuqc

That in my opinion is his best game. Granted, its against Stony Brook. Nevertheless, the man is a difference maker. 

Quote:If he's not, Mack probably will.

Then it becomes Mack or Watkins?

Watkins is gaining steam.
Watkins should be the guy! Mack would be my #2, as I dont think Clowney gets to #3. That Rams #2 pick would net them as many picks as the RG3 deal got them if Houston goes qb at 1.

Quote:I hope we're not trying to copy Seattle.  Copying Super Bowl teams seems to so rarely work out.  You need to make your own path.  Not follow somebody else's.
Not sure how that is true in this case, when its the builder building for us now. So its not following someone else.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:Not sure how that is true in this case, when its the builder building for us now. So its not following someone else.

It's cyclical.  I believe we were a bit too quick to usher in the new "era of offense" with the rules changes that favored/protected receivers and QBs.  This is the pendulum swinging back again.  Seattle is playing an aggressive defense rather than letting the offense take it to them, based on knocking WRs off routes, moving the QB off the spot, and in turn breaking the timing between the two.

Naturally, the instinct was to think offense.  But, it's still defense that wins championships.  You can't simply expect to outscore the other team, and that's why Denver lost and is loading up defensively in free agency.  Seattle's aggressiveness (and effectiveness) was a wakeup call and reminder that defense still matters.

You could say that 2006 marked the new "offensive" era.  From 2000-2005, every single SB winner had a top 10 defense measured by PPG.  That changed with the Colts, who in 2006 was ranked TWENTY THIRD in that same category.  They were also dead last in getting off the field on 3rd down.

From 2006-2013, even with this being the new "offensive era," five of the eight SB winners were either top 10 in PPG or 3rd down defensively.

So, only three SB winners in the "offensive" era have relied on their offense to do the heavy lifting:  2006 Colts, 2009 Saints, and 2011 Giants.

While many teams have rushed to embrace this new era of offensive focus, the majority of those taking home the hardware play top notch defense.  Fewer win without it.

All the "copying Seattle" talk is getting a little tiresome to me.  We aren't copying Seattle. 

Our head coach was their DC and had a healthy hand in shaping the scheme.  Our defense will look a lot like theirs.  Not a damn thing wrong with that.

Our offense will not.  That's fine.  I'm intrigued with what Fisch will do with more talent at his disposal. 

Anthony Barr seems to be picking up steam since his pro day...possibly going to narrow the gap or pull back even with Mack.  I gotta think both are candidates, along with of course Watkins and the 2 QBs.  I'd rather keep the rest of our picks and take 1 of those 5 guys than trade up to 2 or 1 to land Clowney.  Better still is to move back to say 6th and still get 1 of those 5 and get even more picks.

Quote:Khalil Mack, really. Clowney won't be there at 3.
 I'd be down with that. :thumbsup:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:My draft prediction (by position) for the first 3 rounds

1. QB (Teddy/Bortles)

2. DE

3. OG/C (depending on what else we do in FA)
Lol, Bortles over Manziel is just funny.

Quote:<div>
I rolled on the floor laughing, With all those missed reads in the pocket Manziel had to improvise. If he had just stuck to the play book (or just be Teddy Bridgewater) A&M would have been in the National Title hunt late

</div>
Trolls gonna troll.  Wallbash