Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Richard Mendenhall retires

Report: RB Rashard Mendenhall to retire

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

March 08, 2014 10:28 PM ET

At the age of 26, Rashard Mendenhall has decided to retire. (USATSI)

More NFL offseason: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Pro Days | Top free agents

After spending the first five years of his career with the Steelers, running back Rashard Mendenhall signed with the Cardinals before the 2013 season and played decently enough, gaining a team-high 687 rushing yards and scoring eight touchdowns.

But he penned a piece for the Huffington Post last month in which he not-so-cryptically wrote, "As I write this, today is the day that the journey is over and I am fully at peace. Eagerly looking to a new way, which lies ahead."

As such, Mendenhall, who CBSSports.com ranked No. 139 on this offseason's free agent list, is telling teams that he's retired, according to ESPN.com's Adam Schefter.

Mendenhall was most effective during his second and third seasons in the league, gaining 1,109 yards in 2009 and 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010 for Pittsburgh. But a few months before his 27th birthday, Mendenhall apparently has decided he's had enough.

And now, he's off to the rest of his life.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Mendenhall Retirement Article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rashard-me...31316.html

"What was more difficult for me to grasp was the way that the business of entertainment had really shifted the game and the sport of football in the NFL. The culture of football now is very different from the one I grew up with. When I came up, teammates fought together for wins and got respect for the fight. The player who gave the ball to the referee after a touchdown was commended; the one who played through injury was tough; the role of the blocking tight end was acknowledged; running backs who picked up blitzing linebackers showed heart; and the story of the game was told through the tape, and not the stats alone. That was my model of football.

Today, game-day cameras follow the most popular players on teams; guys who dance after touchdowns are extolled on Dancing With the Starters; games are analyzed and brought to fans without any use of coaches tape; practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points. This is a very different model of football than the one I grew up with. My older brother coaches football at the high-school and youth level. One day he called me and said, "These kids don't want to work hard. All they wanna do is look cool, celebrate after plays, and get more followers on Instagram!" I told him that they might actually have it figured out."

Hehe...."Richard"

Awkward retirement

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014, 11:10 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Hehe...."Richard"
oops lol, ur a mod u can fix. I guess i was thinkin about Sherman for some reason, haha

Quote:oops lol, ur a mod u can fix

I just assumed that was the French spelling for Rashard.

I like it

i like the article, its true

I wonder if the NFL network will run this news and statement every hour?

Somehow I doubt they will.
Signature goes here.

Between the injuries and the likely lack of significant demand for his services,  it makes sense for Rashard Mendenhall to retire at a relatively young football age.  

Having said that,  I agree with flgatorsand jags regarding the article.  

At least Mendenhall had the opportunity to play on a Super Bowl winning team and another team that reached a Super Bowl.  So many players never have that opportunity.