Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The British are coming

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014, 07:15 AM by Kotite.)

Minimum tip is 15%. I typically do 20% unless the service was awful. I really don't think there's a bad time to come. I will say that the talent of Jax is usually wearing fewer layers of clothes in the first half of the season. And I find the excitement level is usually higher as we are still mathematically contending for a playoff spot in September and October.

There really is a lot to do, but we are literally the largest city in size in the US. But 95, 295 and Butler Blvd (202) make it easy to get where you need to. European Street Cafe is a chain here. The food is decent and the beer and imported sweets selection are good, but I don't know that it would be terribly impressive to a Brit.
Only a chump boos the home team!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

EAT AT MOJOS!

Huh

You should tip 20%. And you can of course tip more if your service is that great.

Metro Diner is a great breakfast place to eat. Be prepared though, long lines (have one in San Marco area).

I appreciate the creative title of this thread lol. 

Tipping...as other's have said, wait staff in restaurants generally run 15%-20% of the tab.  One thing to remember: we also tip our bartenders here, usually about 15%.  I found this link which seems to explain most situations.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/mind-the-gap/2...-you-dont/

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I would highly recommend coming in October.  It is one of my favorite months here along with April.  Downtown you will have plenty of options to eat and some nightlife nearby, although I will say the beach is better for nightlife.  You will love the weather in October as in sometimes in november and december it can start getting cool.

WE as jaguars fans wholeheartedly will welcome you as new fans and across the pond allies in the "newest" rebirth of our franchise.  With the new stadium renovations the stadium experience should be awesome next year.

Quote:Thank you for the warm welcome and the good advice.

Things I have learned:

1. Get a car, with a GPS. Do not rely on public transport. Be prepared for traveling some distance and the city is spread out.

2. Spend a day visiting the beach.

3. TacoLu looks great, thanks for telling me about this, got to try some Mexican food. Seems like a must visit.

4. I love that the is somewhere called "European Street" in Jacksonville, seems like somewhere a group of British Jaguars fans should visit.

5. Check out "The Landing", Bay Street, San Marco and St. Johns Town Square.

6. Spend a day visiting St. Augustine.

7. Do the trip in the cooler months November/December (which was our plan so glad to have that confirmed).

8. Eat at Biscottis & Ruth Chris Steak House at least once.

Other questions:

I know Brits have a poor reputation for tipping (it's not something we are used to doing) however I want to get this right so what is the local custom for tipping?

Are any US fans planning to visit London for the Cowboys game? If so do you have any quetions I can help with?

Add Riverside to your list of places to go here in town.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Don't listen to her. She's just trying to show off her hippy side.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM by Dr. Football.)

I've lived here in Jacksonville my entire life.

I have intimate knowledge of Downtown Jacksonville, and you shouldn't bother with the Landing unless there's an event like a concert or fireworks happening.  Most of the time, it's empty and surrounded by panhandling homeless.

Instead, if you're looking for a place to go drinking on the night before the game, I'd agree with those who advised patronizing either the Bay St. bars or the Riverside area bars.  Both areas are a very short ride from the hotel you're planning on staying at, and you can also take a river taxi (10 minute ride or so) across the river for a quick walk to Bay St..

If you're planning an extended trip (3+ days of tourism), I'd definitely suggest renting a car.  Jacksonville is a very large city and everything is very spread out.  If you do get a car, you should undoubtedly make the trip to St. Augustine (a 30-45 minute ride down a major highway) to check out all of the colonial era history.  It was one of the the first cities settled in North America, and much of the story is still in the architecture and businesses that line the streets.

I've been a dedicated TacoLu enthusiast since they opened, and I go at least once a week.  It is, by far, the best mexican-style food I've ever had.  If you come to Jacksonville and don't go, you're truly missing out.  The only location is out by the beach, so if you plan a day near the ocean, definitely put TacoLu on the itinerary for lunch or dinner.  They also serve fantastic brunch on Saturday and Sunday.

There's not much to see as far as tourism goes in Jacksonville itself.  We have quite a few arena and concert-type venues that are very nice when events are scheduled, but otherwise vacant.  If you can schedule your trip on a weekend when there's also a Symphony Orchestra show, a touring play, or a concert featuring a band you like, you'd enjoy the venues.  Whoever mentioned the Jacksonville Zoo and the Alligator Farm (nearer to St. Augustine) is on the right track, also.  I'd imagine you'll see some stuff you've not seen in England at each place.   Our zoo is actually quite nice, and features some exhibits that are harder to find even in metro U.S. zoos. 

Basically, Jacksonville is what you make of it.  If you come when stuff is happening or it's nice weather outside, it'll be hard not to have a good time.  If you come for a game when nothing else is going on and don't stay long enough to justify driving around, you'll likely be disappointed.

I'd love to make the trip!

I assume you like bars.

If you like live music try Burro Bar, 1904 Music Hall, or Underbelly. These are all downtown in the district known as The Elbow. There is also Dos Gatos, which was named in the top 10 bars in Florida by the Guardian magazine. They have great cocktails.

In Riverside, try Kickbacks (great late night food, beer selection), Birdies or Raindogs. There are also local breweries like Intuition and Bold City in Riverside that have tasty craft beers. There is another called Aardwolf in San Marco that is very good.

My favorite place to eat is next to Burro Bar and it's called Chomp Chomp. It may not look like much but their food is second to none, especially if you're into creative sandwiches made with fresh ingredients.

@OnGuardJax

Quote:Don't listen to her. She's just trying to show off her hippy side.

You said you liked my hips... :whistling:

Another option is skipping Jax altogether and stay in Historic district of St. Augustine.

Everything is walking distance and far more options than downtown Jax has to offer with a ton of history to boot..  

You'll certainly need to rent a car for the 45 minute drive to jacksonville for the game but the entire time in St. Augustine, your car can stay parked.  Everything truly is walking distance.

Nearly every restaurtant in St. Augustine has outdoor dining and features live music.  If you do need to see the Ocean, or Alligator Farm or Lighthouse, it's a 5-minute drive.  You can even drive on the beach in St. Augustine.  Plenty of waterfront dining & large supply of pubs.

There are hop on/hop off trollies that come by every 15 minutes.  They take you to most every historic landmark and close to any restaurant/pub you'll need.

I don't want to come off as a Jax Basher.  I love Jax.  The reality is St. Augustine offers WAAAAY more in terms of entertainment than downtown jax.

Quote:Another option is skipping Jax altogether and stay in Historic district of St. Augustine.

Everything is walking distance and far more options than downtown Jax has to offer with a ton of history to boot..  

You'll certainly need to rent a car for the 45 minute drive to jacksonville for the game but the entire time in St. Augustine, your car can stay parked.  Everything truly is walking distance.

Nearly every restaurtant in St. Augustine has outdoor dining and features live music.  If you do need to see the Ocean, or Alligator Farm or Lighthouse, it's a 5-minute drive.  You can even drive on the beach in St. Augustine.  Plenty of waterfront dining & large supply of pubs.

There are hop on/hop off trollies that come by every 15 minutes.  They take you to most every historic landmark and close to any restaurant/pub you'll need.

I don't want to come off as a Jax Basher.  I love Jax.  The reality is St. Augustine offers WAAAAY more in terms of entertainment than downtown jax.

Coming from England...I'm thinking old buildings and history aren't a major selling point for them, they see that stuff everyday. Stuff way older than St. Augustine.

Quote:You said you liked my hips... :whistling:

I did and I do. I just don't want you going around flaunting them to every out of town visitor that steps off of a plane.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I did and I do. I just don't want you going around flaunting them to every out of town visitor that steps off of a plane.

Jacksonville needs all the help it can get in the tourism department!! :thumbsup:

I can't argue with that.

Also OP, if you want a great sandwich in a rather tacky setting try Max and Erma's on Roosevelt. Still one of my favorite places to go for a bite.

Quote:I can't argue with that.

Also OP, if you want a great sandwich in a rather tacky setting try Max and Erma's on Roosevelt. Still one of my favorite places to go for a bite.

Max and Ermas? Do you mean Tom and Betty's?

Ah dangit. Yes! I meant Tom and Betty's. I think I've gotten too much Virginia on the brain.

Quote:Ah dangit. Yes! I meant Tom and Betty's. I think I've gotten too much Virginia on the brain.

You need to get back home more often, you're forgetting everything!!