Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What Happened To The Mad Dog? Banned Again?

Quote:So we should reconfigure the way the board operates because 1 poster can't contain himself?  Because that's really what it comes down to here.  There are plenty here who have been known to hijack a thread, and most of the time it's unintentional.  We as mods recognize this.  But, for TMD, it's an obsessive compulsive issue for him where he does it repeatedly.  If we tallied up all of his warnings, he's probably been dinged a dozen times, and most of those warnings were the result of his hijacks.

The vast majority of those who wind up receiving warnings tend to learn from their mistakes and we never have issues with them again.  That's not the case with this one poster, and as a result, he's been banned multiple times.  If we adhered to the old rules of the board where you received 5 warnings to get permanently banned, he would have been gone long ago.  He gets second and third and fourth chances to come back, and he'll modify his behavior for a bit, but eventually he falls back into old habits. 

As mods, we don't relish the opportunity to put anyone in the box for 6 months.  A lot of discussion goes into these decisions to make sure the majority support the move, particularly when it's someone like TMD. 

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever received a 6 month ban or anything like it? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think a daily posting limit would solve a lot of problems.  Set a daily limit of, say, 10 or 15 posts, and it would be pretty hard to hijack threads.

Quote:I think "live" conversations should take place in a chat room, and not on a message board like this.   Does anyone actually go back and re-read all 31 pages of a gameday thread?  

Maybe the powers that be could set separate posting limits in different areas of this message board.

These are horrible ideas! It would kill the feel of this message board! There are many posters on here that post more than 25 posts a day that do not hijack threads!

And I would hate to have to deal with a live chat type thing on game day...you can't really converse that way because of the speed that the replies come in!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever received a 6 month ban or anything like it? 

The list is long for those who have been banned going back two boards.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Okay, I withdraw my suggestion about a maximum daily post count. 

What I was suggesting  was to take some of the work out of moderating, by having the system automatically control things.  It seems like moderators have to make a lot of subjective judgments, involving lots of discussion among themselves. 

It also seemed to me that by putting a limit on the number of posts a person could make in a day, people would be forced to put more thought and effort into each individual post, and they wouldn't be able to bury someone's good, thoughtful, content-rich post under pages and pages of nonsense, ("You suck.", "No, you suck."). 

Quote:The list is long for those who have been banned going back two boards.

And most of those are permanent bans, unless I'm mistaken.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Agenda, maybe. But ol TMD just likes to argue sometimes.He'd truly argue that the sky wasn't blue if he found someone willing to argue it I think.

Argue? No. He would point out the fact that it isn't and "LOL" at whoever says otherwise.

Quote:Last year he went nuts over the Ace Sanders selection.

...To be fair, I almost did over the Joeckel selection.  TMD seems like the type that has to post his thoughts, rather than keep them to himself.  If i did that, I'd probably be banned too.  I know I overreact to things all the time.  If my internet had not been down the day Alualu was selected, i'd have probably not held it in.  (If we select a tackle at 3... it might happen this year)

I like TMD.  He holds his opinion in a bit too high of regard, but aside from that he's a nice guy.  I've argued with him, and I've agreed with him. I don't think he bashes the Jags so much as he thinks they've made the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons.  (Thinking the Jags will continue to fail because they did it before).  He doesn't like to give a benefit of the doubt, and wants instant results.  A lot of NFL fans are like that.

Hopefully he'll be allowed back (especially if Bill O'Brien fails.).

-The Ace Sanders selection

-The Matt Barkley pass

-The Gus Bradley Hire

-The Chip Kelly hire elsehwere

the list goes on.

Quote:Argue? No. He would point out the fact that it isn't and "LOL" at whoever says otherwise.
You have a point. It either was or wasn't with him. Period. (most of the time)

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I'm almost afraid to ask, but...

...what rules were broken by mods?
"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

The above is what I am referring to. Mods routinely post material about TMD which is abusive, hateful, and harassing. Unless you don't consider calling someone a bed-wetter, self soiler, lazy, craving attention, etc, as hateful or harassing. Would you feel the same if I called your mother those derogatory insults?

Regards................the Chiefjag

Quote:"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

The above is what I am referring to. Mods routinely post material about TMD which is abusive, hateful, and harassing. Unless you don't consider calling someone a bed-wetter, self soiler, lazy, craving attention, etc, as hateful or harassing. Would you feel the same if I called your mother those derogatory insults?

Good point but, they're above the law.

Anyway, the main board is quite the drag today. Y'all get on it.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:Good point but, they're above the law.

Anyway, the main board is quite the drag today. Y'all get on it.
Agreed.

Regards...............the Chiefjag

Quote: he goes out of his way to be obnoxious, irritating, superior and just ridiculous at times. There are plenty of posters that I disagree with, but none get under my skin the way that he does. And that's exactly what he's going for. And I will guarantee you that I'm not the only one that feels this way. 

This. 

Quote:"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

If my mother posted on this board and displayed behavior that lent itself to those terms, I'd recognize that she is an adult and knew what she was getting into when she started posting comments on the internet. I might defend her, but I wouldn't consider any of those terms particularly hateful or harassing. Is your skin really that thin? My mom never called me a bed wetter, but she told me to quit being a crybaby once. Guess what, I quit being a crybaby.

When I think hateful, I think of racist terms like the n-word and raghead.

When I think of harassment, I think of responding to every post in every thread with an off topic insult, and unwanted PMs.

Lazy? Attention craving? Really? I know good, decent parents who have referred to their own children in harsher terms at one time or another.

Now, a point can be made that mods should be above that, and I know you, in particular, have commented on it before. It's a valid point, and one that will forever be an issue when there are user moderators on a message board. All I can say in response is that every one of us sincerely care for this board, and are invested in keeping it the best official team message board in the NFL.

Also, the mods that typically post on The Sideline on a regular basis have modified their style and toned it down quite a bit since becoming mods. We have received warnings, one was even relieved of his responsibilities. I've been called out here for skirting the political boundary too much, and rightfully so. But I challenge anyone reading this to show me an example of a warning being issued for behavior regularly displayed by any moderator. If we are indeed above the law, I'd like to know exactly why one would say that.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

My biggest gripe with TMD is that he appears to hedge his arguments by planting a flag, big or small, in all camps to give himself an out.  Otherwise he's okay.

Of course you all know he's relishing every word of this thread, right?   :yes:

Quote: 

Of course you all know he's relishing every word of this thread, right?   :yes:

Indeed, this thread could be merged with the Irony thread. If only the mods were on the ball.

- Bob Marley

Quote:If my mother posted on this board and displayed behavior that lent itself to those terms, I'd recognize that she is an adult and knew what she was getting into when she started posting comments on the internet. I might defend her, but I wouldn't consider any of those terms particularly hateful or harassing. Is your skin really that thin? My mom never called me a bed wetter, but she told me to quit being a crybaby once. Guess what, I quit being a crybaby.

When I think hateful, I think of racist terms like the n-word and raghead.

When I think of harassment, I think of responding to every post in every thread with an off topic insult, and unwanted PMs.

Lazy? Attention craving? Really? I know good, decent parents who have referred to their own children in harsher terms at one time or another.

Now, a point can be made that mods should be above that, and I know you, in particular, have commented on it before. It's a valid point, and one that will forever be an issue when there are user moderators on a message board. All I can say in response is that every one of us sincerely care for this board, and are invested in keeping it the best official team message board in the NFL.

Also, the mods that typically post on The Sideline on a regular basis have modified their style and toned it down quite a bit since becoming mods. We have received warnings, one was even relieved of his responsibilities. I've been called out here for skirting the political boundary too much, and rightfully so. But I challenge anyone reading this to show me an example of a warning being issued for behavior regularly displayed by any moderator. If we are indeed above the law, I'd like to know exactly why one would say that.
My skin is particularly thick but then we're not discussing insults directed at me anyway. We're discussing how the mods sling insults at TMD which many would consider to be hateful, which is stated as against the rules. If you don't think calling someone a self-soiler as being hateful then so be it.

You seem to think his hijacking threads warrants such insults. Both are against the rules. The mods should be an example of exemplary message board participation since the board is the property of the Jaguar organization.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014, 06:23 PM by rollerjag.)

His hijacking of threads, and the warnings he received for doing so, have nothing to do with the posting history between TMD and the moderators here. You can believe that all you want, but it's not true.

Good luck finding anyone who will agree to voluntarily relinquish his ability to post frankly and honestly in a forum to which they regularly contribute in order to become a moderator of said forum.

- Bob Marley

Quote:His hijacking of threads, and the warnings he received for doing so, have nothing to do with the posting history between TMD and the moderators here. You can believe that all you want, but it's not true.
I have no clue what this is suppose to mean. Plain and simple my point is the mods sling insults at TMD which is construed by many to be hateful or harassing. Nothing more, nothing less.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:I have no clue what this is suppose to mean. Plain and simple my point is the mods sling insults at TMD which is construed by many to be hateful or harassing. Nothing more, nothing less.

That was in response to...

Quote:You seem to think his hijacking threads warrants such insults.

He was not "insulted" for hijacking threads, nor did moderators reply to him with insults because he hijacked threads. When moderators engaged in discourse with TMD and called him names, it was in response to what he posted.

- Bob Marley

Quote:He was not "insulted" for hijacking threads, nor did moderators reply to him with insults because he hijacked threads. When moderators engaged in discourse with TMD and called him names, it was in response to what he posted.
So...it's okay and acceptable to call someone names as long as you're a moderator? In that case, I want to be a mod too.