Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jack Del Rio in rumor mill to be the next Cleveland Browns head coach

Del Rio had 9 seasons here with one playoff appearance. That's long enough to determine if he's suitable for the job. His rapid trigger finger upon assistants might make it difficult for him to get top assistants on his staff.

Regards.................the Chiefjag

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Del Rio had 9 seasons here with one playoff appearance. That's long enough to determine if he's suitable for the job. His rapid trigger finger upon assistants might make it difficult for him to get top assistants on his staff.

Actually, he had 2 playoff appearances, and coached 3 postseason games.

And yeah, he probably fired his assistants about as much as TMD would if he were coach.  Makes me wonder why TMD dislikes him so much.

All a moot point.  Jack's too smart to take the Cleveland job, and Cleveland's too dumb to offer it to him.  Who the hell wants to work for an organization that fires overachieving coaches that have to start 4 QBs in a year?

Quote:Actually, he had 2 playoff appearances, and coached 3 postseason games.

And yeah, he probably fired his assistants about as much as TMD would if he were coach.  Makes me wonder why TMD dislikes him so much.

All a moot point.  Jack's too smart to take the Cleveland job, and Cleveland's too dumb to offer it to him.  Who the hell wants to work for an organization that fires overachieving coaches that have to start 4 QBs in a year?

If you hire top quality assistants from the get-go, no you won't need to fire them later....

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Quote:Del Rio had 9 seasons here with one playoff appearance. That's long enough to determine if he's suitable for the job. His rapid trigger finger upon assistants might make it difficult for him to get top assistants on his staff.

One playoff win, two appearances, but point taken. Del Rio is definitely not the worst coach, he is at least above average, he might even be a good coach. We never really saw him with a really good QB. Although Garrard was pretty decent for about 4 years. So its hard to say. I feel like Mularkys 2-14 season was a serious vindication for Del Rio. He never was as bad as the flack he got.

But going to the Browns might be a mistake unless he is convinced that Hoyer or whoever they draft will be the real deal. Also his assistants being fired alot weren't a problem till after '08 really. He had Mike Smith and Koetter here for awhile. And even more recent ones like Mel Tucker were here for multiple years. If I was him I would maybe wait for something else. But there is talent in Cleveland.

Edit: Might be Apropo to compare Fisher, who is widely considered a very good coach to Del Rio during that span ('03-10, can't do 11 cause he was fired).

In Mannings division - He had 3 playoff appearances, won 1 game.

He won the division once in 2008, he placed 2nd twice, 3rd 4 times, and 4th once.

His records ranged from 4-12 to 13-3, he had 3 winning seasons (12-4 in '03, 10-6  in '07, 13-3 in '08).

66 wins to 62 loses for a 0.515 winning percentage.

Del Rio - '03-part of '11 - 2 playoff appearances, won 1 game.

Worst full season 5-11 (3-8 in '11), best season 12-4.

Never won the Division. Placed 2nd in the division 4 times. 3rd three times (including '11, 2 without). 4th twice (one of the 4ths was a 7-9 season).

Had 3 winning seasons (9-7 in '04, 12-4 in '05, 11-5 in '07)

Had 65-63 or 0.508 winning percentage in the '03 to '10 span    (68 wins to 71 losses (.489) with '11)

When looked at over the same time span their numbers are very nearly identical, and Fisher only won 1 more game than Del Rio over the same span. Fisher finished ahead of the Jaguars 4 times, and Del Rio finished ahead of Fisher 4 times (with one of the Tacks higher place finishes being tiebreaker cause we were both 8-8 in '06). I am a big numbers guy, and I think it is fair to say that the numbers support Del Rio as being a pretty decent coach. Everyone calls 0.500 mediocre, but without a franchise QB, that's what you get.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.