Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Opinion Thread: If the Texans trade a 2nd for Mallet and draft Clowney...

Quote:Have we heard a peep of any off field crap since he's been a Patriot?

I'm sure he has matured actually.  He should get credit for staying clean while in the NFL.  One thing to consider though is that if he becomes a starter and becomes "the man" again, will that change how he behaves off the field?

I think it's humbling to be a backup, regardless of who is ahead of you.  I think that must have done him good.  

It will be interesting to see if he can stay clean off the field if he becomes a starter somewhere.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Have we heard a peep of any off field crap since he's been a Patriot?

In addition to what SuperJVille expressed,  two thoughts come to mind at this time:

1)  How will Ryan Mallett handle having a much better contract if he receives one?

2)  How will Ryan Mallett handle being with a team other than the Patriots?   Many players with checkered backgrounds kept their behavior in check in New England.  But out of that environment,  the risk with Mallett will go up with the vast majority of other teams.

More than with any other position,  a QB must have good football character.  

Quote:What will happen from that, should it happen, is the Jags will be perennially finishing behind the Colts and Texans for the next 5-10 years. 

Why did you bring the Mallett trade up? Has there been more rumors of that happening again? 

I can't see how the Jags could top that offseason. We could match them at QB with a Bridge or Manziel selection, but no DE we could get in FA would match/ beat Clowney, unless he truly busted in the NFL. 
I'll take Greg Hardy a proven elite Pass rusher in the NFL over a slacker who COULD be good in the NFL. He's still in college don't forget that. 

Greg Hardy + Teddy > Clowney + Mallet

All day

All night

All year

All decade

All century

Quote:What will happen from that, should it happen, is the Jags will be perennially finishing behind the Colts and Texans for the next 5-10 years. 

Why did you bring the Mallett trade up? Has there been more rumors of that happening again? 

I can't see how the Jags could top that offseason. We could match them at QB with a Bridge or Manziel selection, but no DE we could get in FA would match/ beat Clowney, unless he truly busted in the NFL. 
LOL. LOL. LOL.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:Interesting....

I was probably the only person - or maybe there was one other dude on this forum - that had been calling for the Jags to trade for Mallett over the past X number of years. It was usually met with bashes and criticism and trashing of Mallett. 

Well, looks like we'll get to see just how crazy or not, I was for targeting Mallett. 

How I don't have a job in a team's front office is beyond me...
I can come up with a couple of reasons why.

For the most part, you tend to panic over things entirely out of your control. This is what decimated the New York Jets.

You also tend to fall in love with players and absolutely write off players that don't give you a good first impression; The very thing Gene Smith is chastized for on this board.

These are reasons why you and I, fans of the Jaguars, will never sniff the front office of a football team.

JaguarsWoman-styled reply intended.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote: Related to your thoughts,  if Bill Belichick truly thinks Ryan Mallett is the Patriots long term answer at QB,  he's going nowhere.   I'll be surprised if Belichick views Mallett along these lines.  Belichick likely would jump at the opportunity to get pick # 33 of the 2014 Draft for Mallett.   Especially with Mallett only a year away from becoming an UFA.   With the pick # 33 draft resource,  the Patriots would have a better chance of getting in place a QB that they can develop into potentially their eventual starter.   They would certainly have more flexibility to manuever in the draft.   

There are numerous things to possibly conclude from this rumor.

Unless Belichick isn't staying long term and is focusing on winning short term, and thinks Brady can stay healthy and win, especially with the team's newfound emphsasis in the running game.  In that case, it might make some sense for him to trade for a pick.  With either NEs pick in the bottom of the first or Houston's pick at the top of the 2nd, the Patriots could replace one of those TEs they lost.

If Belichick and O' Brien have a difference of opinion on Mallet, this trade makes sense.  But if a difference in opinion over Mallet exists, I am left to wonder how it developed.  I would assume both were on board with him the year he was drafted.  If so, something in his preparation/work ethic/other might have soured Belichick on Mallet but didn't bother O'Brien.

This rumor also makes me wonder about McNair's statement about trading down, getting a defender...etc.  Crennel is a 3-4 guy from New England.  He likes big guys along the 3-4 DL.  The Texans currently don't have any big 3-4 DLs, especially at NT.  I would have to think if they traded down, Louis Nix would be a target.  I would also think LB C.J. Mosely would also factor into the mix.

It also makes me think O'Brien isn't high on the QBs at the top of this draft.

Questions for TMD on this last point:

1.  If this is true and he isn't high on Bridgewater or Manziel-two QBs you are known to be high on-who is wrong...you or him?

2.  If one of you is wrong on Manziel/Bridgewater, then isn't it possible you are wrong on O'Brien?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:There are numerous things to possibly conclude from this rumor.

Unless Belichick isn't staying long term and is focusing on winning short term, and thinks Brady can stay healthy and win, especially with the team's newfound emphsasis in the running game.  In that case, it might make some sense for him to trade for a pick.  With either NEs pick in the bottom of the first or Houston's pick at the top of the 2nd, the Patriots could replace one of those TEs they lost.

If Belichick and O' Brien have a difference of opinion on Mallet, this trade makes sense.  But if a difference in opinion over Mallet exists, I am left to wonder how it developed.  I would assume both were on board with him the year he was drafted.  If so, something in his preparation/work ethic/other might have soured Belichick on Mallet but didn't bother O'Brien.

This rumor also makes me wonder about McNair's statement about trading down, getting a defender...etc.  Crennel is a 3-4 guy from New England.  He likes big guys along the 3-4 DL.  The Texans currently don't have any big 3-4 DLs, especially at NT.  I would have to think if they traded down, Louis Nix would be a target.  I would also think LB C.J. Mosely would also factor into the mix.

It also makes me think O'Brien isn't high on the QBs at the top of this draft.

Questions for TMD on this last point:

1.  If this is true and he isn't high on Bridgewater or Manziel-two QBs you are known to be high on-who is wrong...you or him?

2.  If one of you is wrong on Manziel/Bridgewater, then isn't it possible you are wrong on O'Brien?

The chances that I am wrong on Bridgewater/ Manziel  would be higher than me being wrong on O Brien. O Brien is going to be the next Harbaugh type level coach. He's a shooting star type coach who's proven is as a head coach already in despite adversity.

At least with Bridge or Manziel there are concerns about them that "could" explain their failure to live up to my expectations. 

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

I'd certainly rather they get Mallet than Bridgewater.

If that happens, our #3 pic becomes that much more valuable.

Interesting deal for Houston with a lot of potential. I'm not too worried, Clowney going #1 would make the Minnesota's of the league trade up to our spot.

If not, we get Manziel or Bridgewater. 

Quote:Do the Jaguars lose the AFC South offseason championship?
More like the next decade!

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Mallet might be a really good QB, but I have seen too many people trade for back-ups only to be fleeced.  That being said, if you are behind Brady, it is a definite you are not seeing the field no matter how good or bad you are.  
You know teams don't usually do it twice, but I can't help but think backing up Brady for a couple years has made Mallet worse...

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

If O' Brian was on the staff when they got Mallet and is really willing to give up that high second for him, I would say that Mallet ought to be pretty good. I base this opinion on a somewhat simular situation when Sean Payton in 2006 was trying to trade for Tony Romo from Dallas. http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/p...ints-trade

Now Tony Romo has been very good since 2006, one of, at least, the top 10 QB's in any given year. Now Payton obviously ended up better off with Brees, but the fact that he wanted Romo because he knew him from his time in Dallas should let us know that when an old Assistant wants to trade for a backup QB who never plays, he might have some insider knowledge. That Mallet, Clowney combo might indeed blow our socks off. And that is not a conspiracy theory. 

Quote:If O' Brian was on the staff when they got Mallet and is really willing to give up that high second for him, I would say that Mallet ought to be pretty good. I base this opinion on a somewhat simular situation when Sean Payton in 2006 was trying to trade for Tony Romo from Dallas. http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/p...ints-trade

Now Tony Romo has been very good since 2006, one of, at least, the top 10 QB's in any given year. Now Payton obviously ended up better off with Brees, but the fact that he wanted Romo because he knew him from his time in Dallas should let us know that when an old Assistant wants to trade for a backup QB who never plays, he might have some insider knowledge. That Mallet, Clowney combo might indeed blow our socks off. And that is not a conspiracy theory. 
That's a really good point.  Does anyone know if he was there when they drafted Mallet? Might it have been only 1 year they were together?

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:That's a really good point.  Does anyone know if he was there when they drafted Mallet? Might it have been only 1 year they were together?
No, O'Brian was a coordinator for Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and Duke before he joined the Patriots.

OBrien was on the staff for one year overlapping with Mallett - which is how this speculation got started in the first place.  And that's all it is. 

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2014, 01:54 AM by giambi254.)

I will be more than happy to have this debate with you.

While I agree with your stance with Mallett being a huge upgrade for the Texans, I strongly believe that it is not the end of the world at all for the jaguars.

I am a person that beleives that Andrew Luck is a very good QB, he is not a Peyton Manning or John Elway 2.0. Having thrown 8 picks in only 3 playoff games is very scary if you are a colt fan.  T,Y. Hilton is a star, and I think the Trent Ricahrdson trade might have been a huge mistake.

With O'Brian & Mallett, I think it is a match made in heaven. However, I do not think there are enough tools for him to succeed at a level that you feel he will be.....yet. Andre is starting to ware and tare at a level where his statistics will significantly drop, and while Hopkins * Martin do show flashes, I think they will not be at the same level as Andre was. O'Brian has magic with TE's though. However, with an Owen Daniels that cannot stay healthy, and Graham has potential to be something, the Texans should  have a fall back year. again. I know it is too early for predictions, but if someone forced me to pick a record, I would say 7-9, 8-8.

As for the prestige with Mallett, a tall kid who "gunned" the ball against the SEC, which is known for the best talent of offenses and defenses. I agree, However if you want stats TMD, I will give you stats.

Here are Ryan Mallet's stats:

Season Team GP GS ATT COMP COMP% YDS YDS/COMP TD INT AVG/G LONG EFFIC

2007 Michigan 11 3 141 61 43.3 892 14.6 7 5 81.1 97 105.7

2008 Arkansas Ineligible due to NCAA transfer rule

2009 Arkansas 13 13 403 225 55.8 3,624 16.3 30 7 278.8 83 152.5

2010 Arkansas 13 13 411 266 64.7 3,869 14.5 32 12 297.6 89 163.6

Career 3 seasons 37 29 955 552 57.8 8,385 15.1 69 24 226.6 97 150.4

And now, here are the stats for the person I hope the jaguars will draft in the 3rd round: Aaron Murray:

YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG TD

2009 Redshirt

2010 209 342 61.1 3,049 24 8 154.5 87 167 1.9 4

2011 238 403 59.1 3,149 35 14 146.4 87 111 1.3 2

2012 249 386 64.5 3,893 36 10 174.8 59 −68 −1.2 3

2013 225 347 64.8 3,075 26 9 158.8 58 186 3.5 7

Totals 921 1,478 61.5 13,166 121 41 158.5 291 396 0.9 16

*Statistics are from Wikipedia*

Now at a glance, one might think AJ Green was because of his stats, when in reality both AJ Green and Knoshon Moreno declared in 2011. So from 2011 to this past year, was based upon Aaron. He has a better completion percentage, and better ratings as a QB than Mallett.

As for the Brady factor, yes it could be an infleunce, but the system in New England could be completely different to Houston, even though O'Brian was in NE. It is a "Wildcard" as an infleunce and should not be considered as a main factor of Why Ryan Mallet could be succesful in Houston.

*Cheers*

Quote:That's a really good point.  Does anyone know if he was there when they drafted Mallet? Might it have been only 1 year they were together?
It is a good observation but let's not forget Josh McDaniels wanted to trade for Matt Cassel.

Quote:I will be more than happy to have this debate with you.

While I agree with your stance with Mallett being a huge upgrade for the Texans, I strongly believe that it is not the end of the world at all for the jaguars.

I am a person that beleives that Andrew Luck is a very good QB, he is not a Peyton Manning or John Elway 2.0. Having thrown 8 picks in only 3 playoff games is very scary if you are a colt fan.  T,Y. Hilton is a star, and I think the Trent Ricahrdson trade might have been a huge mistake.

With O'Brian & Mallett, I think it is a match made in heaven. However, I do not think there are enough tools for him to succeed at a level that you feel he will be.....yet. Andre is starting to ware and tare at a level where his statistics will significantly drop, and while Hopkins * Martin do show flashes, I think they will not be at the same level as Andre was. O'Brian has magic with TE's though. However, with an Owen Daniels that cannot stay healthy, and Graham has potential to be something, the Texans should  have a fall back year. again. I know it is too early for predictions, but if someone forced me to pick a record, I would say 7-9, 8-8.

As for the prestige with Mallett, a tall kid who "gunned" the ball against the SEC, which is known for the best talent of offenses and defenses. I agree, However if you want stats TMD, I will give you stats.

Here are Ryan Mallet's stats:

Season Team GP GS ATT COMP COMP% YDS YDS/COMP TD INT AVG/G LONG EFFIC

2007 Michigan 11 3 141 61 43.3 892 14.6 7 5 81.1 97 105.7

2008 Arkansas Ineligible due to NCAA transfer rule

2009 Arkansas 13 13 403 225 55.8 3,624 16.3 30 7 278.8 83 152.5

2010 Arkansas 13 13 411 266 64.7 3,869 14.5 32 12 297.6 89 163.6

Career 3 seasons 37 29 955 552 57.8 8,385 15.1 69 24 226.6 97 150.4

And now, here are the stats for the person I hope the jaguars will draft in the 3rd round: Aaron Murray:

YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG TD

2009 Redshirt

2010 209 342 61.1 3,049 24 8 154.5 87 167 1.9 4

2011 238 403 59.1 3,149 35 14 146.4 87 111 1.3 2

2012 249 386 64.5 3,893 36 10 174.8 59 −68 −1.2 3

2013 225 347 64.8 3,075 26 9 158.8 58 186 3.5 7

Totals 921 1,478 61.5 13,166 121 41 158.5 291 396 0.9 16

*Statistics are from Wikipedia*

Now at a glance, one might think AJ Green was because of his stats, when in reality both AJ Green and Knoshon Moreno declared in 2011. So from 2011 to this past year, was based upon Aaron. He has a better completion percentage, and better ratings as a QB than Mallett.

As for the Brady factor, yes it could be an infleunce, but the system in New England could be completely different to Houston, even though O'Brian was in NE. It is a "Wildcard" as an infleunce and should not be considered as a main factor of Why Ryan Mallet could be succesful in Houston.

*Cheers*

funny you mentioned Murray, because I have suggested him as a day 3 developmental QB for the Jags. 

Lol @ Ryan Mallet being worthy of pick 33.

Just like Cousins was worth a "2nd or 3rd rounder".