Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kiper Mock Draft

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 04:59 PM by shangster.)

Quote:A QB alone isn't going to make a bit of difference next year on a club with as many needs as ours.

See 2013 Falcons.

Even if you have as near a complete team as theirs, if you're lacking in key areas then there's no QB who can carry both sides of the ball on their back to make up for it.  Not a single one.  And I don't see any of this QB crop being as talented as Matt Ryan.

Take the best available player, even if it's not a QB, even if you need one badly.  The draft was, is, and will always be, about the best value.
NO!  The draft is always about both needs and value.  Unless Clowney goes to a team that has/or will have a legitimate NFL starting QB, you won't miss anything by passing up on him.  Of course, the Raiders would much rather have Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson over the ultimate bust that is Jamarcus Russell.  But in retrospect, that franchise would still be where they are right now even with Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson.  Speaking of which, Adrian Peterson wishes he has a legitimate QB ever since Favre retired.

QB is the key.  If your team hit on a franchise QB, the team willbe set to go for the next 10 years.  It's that simple.  People hate on the Blaine Gabbert pick, but really, it was the right positional pick for this team -- just the wrong prospect was picked. 

If Henne/Gabbert somehow remains as the super dynamic starting QB duo for this team next season, Jaguars fans have to every right to question the football sanity of Caldwell and Bradley.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:On January 16, 2013, Mel Kiper's mock draft had Damontre Moore at #2 overall. Moore ended up going 81st. 

Take these mocks with a grain of salt.

Also with that said the local sports radio here in Jax made a good point about Kiper's picks. How is it that Bridgewater can have a better statistical season in every category  this year compared to last year but drop from #1 overall to behind Manziel and Bortles?

Bortles stats from this year to last year are near identical and he jumps to #2 Qb in the draft, while Bridgewater who actually improved in every category drops to #3 Qb. 

Kiper is a paid shill, who somehow escapes credibility issues directly relating to his perennial conflicts of interests.

Moore (6' 4" 250 Lbs.) did 12 reps. P Dylan Breeding (6' 1" 213 Lbs.) did 11 reps. WR Tavon Austin (5' 8" 174 Lbs.) did 14.

Quoting Mel Kiper simply indicates a lack of awareness and lots of zealotry.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:He has Sammy Watkins at 16?  Man...if thats the case, lets trade up and get that guy!

There is NO way Detroit passes on Watkins if he falls to their pick. They have been trying unsuccessfully to find a stable, consistent WR2 to tandem with Megatron for years. 

Quote:So he wasn't the clear cut #1 if he went #2...
Luke remained the clear-cut number one college prospect (regardless of position) in America all season long. He held off all other college football players.

He remained the clear-cut top college prospect right up to the first draft pick.

Joeckel and Fisher were even. 1-A and 1-B. Maybe Kansas City tossed a coin to decide?

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:A QB alone isn't going to make a bit of difference next year on a club with as many needs as ours.

See 2013 Falcons.

Even if you have as near a complete team as theirs, if you're lacking in key areas then there's no QB who can carry both sides of the ball on their back to make up for it.  Not a single one.  And I don't see any of this QB crop being as talented as Matt Ryan.

Take the best available player, even if it's not a QB, even if you need one badly.  The draft was, is, and will always be, about the best value.

We will see how Caldwell feels in the draft.  I have a feeling we will have a chance to draft Bridgewater.  

I disagree with always taking best value.  Caldwell does to.  He believes in value and need.  Combination of both and throw in some common sense.  It depends, if Bridgewater is rated #5 on your board, but is a #1 need and Sammy Watkins is rated #3 on your board, but is a #5 need, to me you take the QB.  Anyways, very simplified example.  

Don't take a QB for the sake of it, but there is no other position more important.  And since that is the case, you should act like there is no other position more important when drafting over a period of time especially when your QB position is as dismal as the Jags.

Quote:I just want a good player.  I don't realy care if it's not a QB.  I won't be mad if we draft a pro bowl DE or a pro bowl WR, regardless of what anyone else does.

Sure, I'd love a pro bowl QB first and foremost, but if they are gone by the time we pick, that's fine.

If the Jags don't think any QBs at #3 are worthy of being franchise changers, I don't want them to draft one.  I'd rather take that pro bowl DE or WR or whoever.  Gettng marginal improvement over Henne at #3 overall is bad value.  But like I said, this will be down to what the Jags think.  I trust they will do their due diligence on every QB and will rank them accordingly.

Maaaaan.....you are a genius. I wish most people reasoned like you. That's the right attitude.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 07:26 PM by shangster.)

Just for giggles, courtesy of BigCatCountry, here is Kiper's reason why the Jags should pass up on a QB (Teddy) and draft over-the-speed-limit Clowney:

"No. 3 Jacksonville Jaguars -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Analysis: There is no question that the Jags need a QB. It is questionable whether they will take one at this draft slot unless they believe that QB will make them better at that position in 2014. So consider this an early bet on a front office that will look to hit what is still a major need (the pass rush) by drafting the best available player in the draft. Clowney got questioned on his motor in his final college season, but that has more to do with stats than the tape. And any evaluator who saw a tentative player could also imagine what Clowney had on the line. Clowney is physically prepared to come in and make a major impact, and I think there's a good chance the Jags draft for upside and angle for a QB later. Don't forget: Free agency and trades can still shift the QB market in the draft. Think of Kansas City last year at this time."

Here are the reason why I think his analysis is wrong:

1. If Clowney didn't want to perform at his best because of what he "had on the line" -- his draft stock should he get injured -- then should fans expect Clowney to slack and take plays off if the Jags were 3-10 late into the season?  Because, you know, he doesn't want to risk injury for his performance next season...

2. This team is nowhere near the Kansas City Chiefs, and there simply isn't a free agent option as good as Alex Smith -- that's not saying a lot since Alex Smith isn't even that good.

3. If he doesn't believe Teddy (or another QB) to be the right value for the Jags at #3, but it's totally justified for teams such as the Browns and Vikings (who are just as bad as the Jags this season) to draft their QB in the top 8?

"As well, I recall when the Texans took Mario Williams at a time when QB was a question, and their GM told us it wasn't just about needing a QB, it was about the QBs they had to beat. Peyton Manning was in the division. Indy still has a good QB the Jags have to face."

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Manning still OWNED the division even with Mario Williams and J.J Watts. 

2. Give me a true franchise QB and I'll exchange you both
J.J Watt and Clowney any day of the week and twice on Sundays and Mondays!

Also, in his interview on ESPN today, ironically, he still rates Teddy as the #1 and most pro-ready QB in this draft,
but he has Manziel goes first overall and Teddy somehow falls to the Vikings at 8, even though the Browns, Jags, Raiders desperately need a new single caller.

This is such an idiotic mock 

And just for more giggles and hypocritical bias opinion of Kiper, last year he said to Skip Bayless that there was no way Manziel would be a first round pick.  Earlier this year, he projected Manziel to be a late first round pick, depending on his performance in this season of college footbal.   About three weeks ago, he changed his mind and projected Manziel to be a mid first round pick, in which Skip Bayless actually called him out for changing his opinion.  Kiper then said "Manziel will be a mid-first round" but "he will never be a top 10 pick".  And what do you know, in his first mock draft, he projected Manziel to be the first overall pick. :woot:

The worst possible solution I can think of is Manziel going 1 and Clowney going 2

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 07:52 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:Maaaaan.....you are a genius. I wish most people reasoned like you. That's the right attitude.

Usually I'm pretty good at this but...... not sure if serious or sarcastic.  I'm leaning towards the latter. 

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:1. Manziel - Houston

2. Matthews- STL

3. Clowney- Jags

4. Bortles- Cleveland

5. Watkins- Oak

Interesting picks

8. Teddy- Minnesota

22. Benjamin- Philly

26. Hyde - Cleveland
hahaha just saw this on Sportcenter a joke, no way we pass on Teddy, but I do like this for one reason it shows that Teddy could fall right to us 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Usually I'm pretty good at this but...... not sure if serious or sarcastic.  I'm leaning towards the latter. 
I think he is serious because I see it the same way as you.

Quote:Usually I'm pretty good at this but...... not sure if serious or sarcastic.  I'm leaning towards the latter.

You are correct sir....no sarcasm whatsoever.

Quote:I think he is serious because I see it the same way as you.

If the two of you decide to run for public office.........you have my vote

Quote:The worst possible solution I can think of is Manziel going 1 and Clowney going 2
The Texans can have Manziel.

Quote:Kiper is a paid shill, who somehow escapes credibility issues directly relating to his perennial conflicts of interests.

Moore (6' 4" 250 Lbs.) did 12 reps. P Dylan Breeding (6' 1" 213 Lbs.) did 11 reps. WR Tavon Austin (5' 8" 174 Lbs.) did 14.

Quoting Mel Kiper simply indicates a lack of awareness and lots of zealotry.

Yeah well NFL.com had Moore rated as a 87.9 so he has to be good, right?

Boom roasted.

Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Nolan Nawrocki, etc...are all educated fans, not draft gurus.  The only different between them and the die-hard fans sitting at home doing football research is that they have access to more resources.

If you deem a QB to be of franchise level...you take him...you don't pass on a franchise QB...someone else said it in this thread too...QBs when SBs...not DEs...yes we need a DE...but with creative blitzes, impactful LBs, ect...you can manufacture a pass rush...no matter what you do you can't manufacture a good QB.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:NO!  The draft is always about both needs and value.  Unless Clowney goes to a team that has/or will have a legitimate NFL starting QB, you won't miss anything by passing up on him.  Of course, the Raiders would much rather have Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson over the ultimate bust that is Jamarcus Russell.  But in retrospect, that franchise would still be where they are right now even with Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson.  Speaking of which, Adrian Peterson wishes he has a legitimate QB ever since Favre retired.

QB is the key.  If your team hit on a franchise QB, the team willbe set to go for the next 10 years.  It's that simple.  People hate on the Blaine Gabbert pick, but really, it was the right positional pick for this team -- just the wrong prospect was picked. 

If Henne/Gabbert somehow remains as the super dynamic starting QB duo for this team next season, Jaguars fans have to every right to question the football sanity of Caldwell and Bradley.

The Texans and Lions subscribed to this train of thought when they selected Carr and Harrington.

If the QB crop isn't all that, there's no reason to overdraft them solely because you're desperate.  That always ends in disaster.

As deuce said, you can't manufacture a franchise QB... especially not one from a questionable crop like this one.  So if you do take one, take one at the proper value.  That results in picks like Kaepernick and Wilson instead of Gabbert and Anger.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."