Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Playing with injuries

To play or not to play?

The answer is always no if the player has a concussion or spinal injury, but for many others, depending on the severity and location of the injury and the player's position and pain tolerance, there is no simple answer. That is why many players are listed as probable, questionable, doubtful, or day to day and others are out on injury reports with the same diagnosis. Additionally, how many games a player is out varies for many injuries.

There also is the question about going back into a game. I have seen players try to come back only to have to go out again but it seems usually when a player's return is questionable, later he is downgraded to out. There also are players who will not even seek out trainers on the sideline, but clearly show they are in pain after plays. Then there are players who come back in and have no problem finishing the game.

What are your thoughts about the "play or sit" decisions that are made every week?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If you're injured, you shouldn't be playing. If you're hurt and can tolerate the pain...go for it. Obviously there is more to the equation than that but I go back to the old sentement that there is a difference in being injured and being hurt.

Quote:If you're injured, you shouldn't be playing. If you're hurt and can tolerate the pain, go for it. Obviously there is more to the equation than that but I go back to the old sentement that there is a difference in being injured and being hurt.

When people talk about players "getting hurt," that means the same thing as being injured. But you are right that some painful conditions such as cramps and cuts are not injuries. I think when it is just a cut the player should be allowed to play even if stitches are required. For real injuries, I would take several things into consideration.

My high school and JUCO coaches said it best. There is hurt and there is injured. Both are never good. If you can play through the hurt, play unless your performance Wil suffer. If youre injured, sit out and get better, pronto. Watching Ladanian Tomlinson on A Football Life, he was officially healthy, but his knee was slowing him down so he pulled himself for the good of the Chargers
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."