Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texans to hire Romeo Crennel as Def Coordinator

Quote:Phillips was a good DC too, but O Brien wanted his own people. I like a coach that isn't afraid to get rid of quality to find even better quality at the same position. They both run 3-4. 

Yea, it doesn't hurt having a stacked roster though.  If Crennel was going to come back to the league I am sure he would like to go to Houston with Watt and Cushing before he considered offers from, say, Cleveland.  Kinda like Detroit.  That roster is stacked too.  You watch, they will get some big names in there.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Uhm.....thats Crennel's job in Houston. Thats what I am comparing. 

No one said that Crennel was a great head coach...as a matter of fact I have already said as a head coach Crennel is terrible. He's not having dual roles in Houston. The last time Crennel was DC only he presided over a very good defense that was part of 3 SB winning teams. 

Wrong. Crennel was DC only in Kansas City. His defenses were middle of the road there.

And I think you might be surprised about the rankings of his 2001-2002 defenses in New England.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/co...renRo0.htm

The numbers don't lie.

;

;

Quote:Yet Babich is terrible after one year as just being the DC with the Bears. K.

Babich was DC for the Bears in 2007, 2008 and part of 2009 until he was DEmoted to LB coach that same year. 

Crennel is getting alot of mileage off of what he did 10 years ago. He's been a failure since leaving Belichick/Brady. Just like Charlie Weis.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2014, 03:14 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Crennel is getting alot of mileage off of what he did 10 years ago. He's been a failure since leaving Belichick/Brady. Just like Charlie Weis.

Dick Vermeil got a lot of milage off of what he did 17 years prior to getting the St Louis Rams gig.....then he went on to win a SB there.  

Quote:Dick Vermeil got a lot of milage off of what he did 17 years prior to getting the St Louis Rams gig.....then he went on to win a SB there.  

Vermeil was an announcer during that time, not a mediocre coach.

Quote:Babich was DC for the Bears in 2007, 2008 and part of 2009 until he was DEmoted to LB coach that same year. 

So are you saying all that is enough to call it a bad hire?? If I recall correctly the Bears averaged like 8 wins both of those years. There is really nothing out there to discredit Babich of yet. Especially when we all know Gus has say in our D.

It sounds like you like "name" coaches for the sake of them being names. When in actuality they are living on what their name once was and not what it is today.

Quote:So are you saying all that is enough to call it a bad hire?? If I recall correctly the Bears averaged like 8 wins both of those years. There is really nothing out there to discredit Babich of yet. Especially when we all know Gus has say in our D.

It sounds like you like "name" coaches for the sake of them being names. When in actuality they are living on what their name once was and not what it is today.

LOL is that enough to call it a bad hire?? uhm.....hell yes? !!! :ermm: 

You were probably the type of person that said something similar when people brought up Mularkey's weak resume against that hire in 2012. 

Your kind always seems to need to learn the hard way. 

I trust by 2 more years when our defense consistently continues to give up too many points, just like Babich's defenses in Chicago, (that got him demoted), you might finally wise up to what some of us already see now. 

Quote:LOL is that enough to call it a bad hire?? uhm.....hell yes? !!! :ermm:

You were probably the type of person that said something similar when people brought up Mularkey's weak resume against that hire in 2012. 

Your kind always seems to need to learn the hard way. 

I trust by 2 more years when our defense consistently continues to give up too many points, just like Babich's defenses in Chicago, (that got him demoted), you might finally wise up to what some of us already see now. 

So 2 average years as a DC with Bears makes it a bad hire. Unreal. Coaches get fired and re-hired all the time. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. There's barely anything to base off of Babich to call it a bad hire. Our defense played hard and made multiple 4 down stands without much talent. How about taking the wait and see approach before going all doom and gloom.

And no I never liked Mularkey from the moment he got hired. I laughed at the hiring.

Quote:So 2 average years as a DC with Bears makes it a bad hire. Unreal. Coaches get fired and re-hired all the time. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. There's barely anything to base off of Babich to call it a bad hire. Our defense played hard and made multiple 4 down stands without much talent. How about taking the wait and see approach before going all doom and gloom.

And no I never liked Mularkey from the moment he got hired. I laughed at the hiring.

LOL @ you labeling them "average" years.... unreal....

If they were only "average" he wouldn't have been demoted. 

He was a below average DC in Chicago. To quote Jim Mora Sr....he sucked. 

Quote:So are you saying all that is enough to call it a bad hire?? If I recall correctly the Bears averaged like 8 wins both of those years. There is really nothing out there to discredit Babich of yet. Especially when we all know Gus has say in our D.

Babich was a luke warm (not good) DC in Chicago and was <i>demoted </i>from the position after two and a partial years.  He's done nothing to impress here, either.  I wasn't a big fan of the Babich hire and I'm still not.  Fisch wasn't a signing I care for either.  With a defensive head coach (let alone a rookie coach) I believe you need an experienced NFL offensive mind (ala Norv Turner for example) to help run that side of the football.  Rookie defensive head coach + rookie NFL OC = struggles.  

The full scope of Bradley's initial coordinator hires is still in progress but from day one until now color me unimpressed.  Signing strong coordinators and assistants is extremely important with a coaching hire and I'm not convinced either Babich or Fisch are good enough.  Sadly we're stuck with them for at least one more year.  

Quote:LOL @ you labeling them "average" years.... unreal....

If they were only "average" he wouldn't have been demoted. 

He was a below average DC in Chicago. To quote Jim Mora Sr....he sucked. 

Tom Coughlin sucked towards the end of his tenure here. That guy never amounted to anything. What a failure. No one should've given him another shot.

Quote:Babich was a luke warm (not good) DC in Chicago and was <i>demoted </i>from the position after two and a partial years.  He's done nothing to impress here, either.  I wasn't a big fan of the Babich hire and I'm still not.  Fisch wasn't a signing I care for either.  With a defensive head coach (let alone a rookie coach) I believe you need an experienced NFL offensive mind (ala Norv Turner for example) to help run that side of the football.  Rookie defensive head coach + rookie NFL OC = struggles.  

The full scope of Bradley's initial coordinator hires is still in progress but from day one until now color me unimpressed.  Signing strong coordinators and assistants is extremely important with a coaching hire and I'm not convinced either Babich or Fisch are good enough.  Sadly we're stuck with them for at least one more year.  

This is a fair analysis but you must take into consideration the players they have to work with. There's not a load of talent and a lot of inexperience on this roster. This is a learning experience for our players and coaches.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Babich was a luke warm (not good) DC in Chicago and was <i>demoted </i>from the position after two and a partial years.  He's done nothing to impress here, either.  I wasn't a big fan of the Babich hire and I'm still not.  Fisch wasn't a signing I care for either.  With a defensive head coach (let alone a rookie coach) I believe you need an experienced NFL offensive mind (ala Norv Turner for example) to help run that side of the football.  Rookie defensive head coach + rookie NFL OC = struggles.  

+1

Quote:Tom Coughlin sucked towards the end of his tenure here. That guy never amounted to anything. What a failure. No one should've given him another shot.

No he did not. 

As a head coach Coughlin never sucked. 

He managed positive point differentials despite finishing 6-10 in 2001 & 2002. Every game was close despite purging a roster to make up for (partially his own) bad cap management.  

Quote:This is a fair analysis but you must take into consideration the players they have to work with. There's not a load of talent and a lot of inexperience on this roster. This is a learning experience for our players and coaches.

Good coaches overachieve. 

We just posted the franchise's worst point differential at -210 this past year. 

The talent on the roster might have been bottom 5 in the NFL, but -210 is inexcusable. Good coaching could have seen that number much lessened, even with this roster. 

Both Fisch & Babich oversaw that offense & defense. 

Well if you want to crown their axxes then crown their axxes!!!!!

Quote:The word is that Tennessee is leaning that way, but nothing is official at this point. I'd like for them to keep Munchak for the next 20 years. 

To be honest, it makes sense in Tennesssee's current situation and the current league environment to just stand pat for another year with their coaching staff. Houston and Indy will be battling it out for the division, and probably both sweep the Titans, and the Jags will have a bad season again next year, but will get those culture definining 2 wins against Tennessee next season, which will help in steering Tennessee towards the 1st overall pick and Jameis Winston next draft. If Tennessee changed coaches now, they'd probably still be bad next year, but might snag a few more wins, maybe 1 against the Jags and would hurt their chances for Winston. Besides, at this point of this offseason, most of the best coaching candidates and quality assistant coaching material are gone. Better for the Titans to try and get the best available next offseason. Big picture. 

So are the tanking for Winston now that they fired Munchak? I am sure we can twist this either way.

Quote:It'll be daunting competition, undoubtedly. 

Good news is that it looks like Tennessee is going to keep their head coach.  :thumbsup:
Wow, how ironic is this post.

Quote:So are the tanking for Winston now that they fired Munchak? I am sure we can twist this either way.

I think it would have been easier to tank had they kept Munchak, but a lot depends on the level of head coach they hire here. If its a Mularkey level hire, then they could easily also have the worst record in the league in 2014. 

Quote:As a head coach Coughlin never sucked. 

Sure has been doing a terrific job lately... :no:

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Sure has been doing a terrific job lately... :no:

I was speaking for his tenure as a Jaguars HC, but even now I don't know if its fair to put the onus of the blame for the Giants current failures on him. Maybe it is.