Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL Play-Off System

It's not perfect, but it's probably best left alone despite the flaws.  Certainly no extra teams.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If they add a few more teams, and you know they will - probably one for each conference - you know we'll watch.

You know you will.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-playoffs/

It looks like expansion is coming, like it or not.

I'm not going to be upset as I watch 2 extra playoff games on wildcard weekend each year.  I'm not going to think that the 7 seed has no business being there because it would usually be filled by a deserving team.  I do share D6's sentiments and concerns from another thread that this will eventually lead to 8 teams per conference with no bye weeks which would essentially weaken the importance of the regular season.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM by D6.)

Quote:If they add a few more teams, and you know they will - probably one for each conference - you know we'll watch.

You know you will.

Adam,  I can't speak for anyone else.   But as someone that watches 4 or 5 NFL games a week on average currently,  if the NFL expands to a 16 team playoff,   I expect to cut down the amount of games I watch each week.   In the regular season,  probably to 2 to 3 games a week but no more than that.

If the league puts a greater emphasis on the teams in the middle of the pack instead of the top of the pack,   then it's not worth investing as much time in the NFL.    I certainly would be against a 14 team playoff.   But comparably speaking,  a 16 team playoff makes the NFL much like the NBA and NHL,  sports leagues I hardly have paid attention to in the regular season since both leagues expanded to a 16 team playoff in the early 1980's.    Only the amount of time and passion I put into the NFL over the years would separate my interest level between the NFL and those two other leagues,  if the NFL went to a 16 team playoff format.

Quote:I'm not going to be upset as I watch 2 extra playoff games on wildcard weekend each year.  I'm not going to think that the 7 seed has no business being there because it would usually be filled by a deserving team.  I do share D6's sentiments and concerns from another thread that this will eventually lead to 8 teams per conference with no bye weeks which would essentially weaken the importance of the regular season.

Jaguarmeister,   thanks for mentioning the other thread.  For those that haven't seen that thread or don't recall the discussion,   the following are the links:

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...n-goodell/

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...ell/page-2

Here's the latest from Commissioner Idiot: 

per rotoworld: 

Commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed that expanding the NFL playoffs is "under serious consideration."

Goodell wants more teams involved in the playoff hunt so that there are more compelling late-season games, leading to more tickets sold and higher television ratings. The expected proposal that owners will vote on in March will be to add one more Wild Card team in each conference. Under that scenario, only one team in each conference would get a bye while the six-game Wild Card weekend would pit the No. 2 seed vs. No. 7, No. 3 vs. No. 6 and No. 4 vs. No. 5. This year, the No. 7 seeds would have been the Cardinals in the NFC and the Steelers in the AFC.

Quote: 

Here's the latest from Commissioner Idiot: 

per rotoworld: 

<div>Commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed that expanding the NFL playoffs is "under serious consideration."

Goodell wants more teams involved in the playoff hunt so that there are more compelling late-season games, leading to more tickets sold and higher television ratings. The expected proposal that owners will vote on in March will be to add one more Wild Card team in each conference. Under that scenario, only one team in each conference would get a bye while the six-game Wild Card weekend would pit the No. 2 seed vs. No. 7, No. 3 vs. No. 6 and No. 4 vs. No. 5. This year, the No. 7 seeds would have been the Cardinals in the NFC and the Steelers in the AFC.

</div>

As much as I dislike Goddell, I actually agree with it. I think 2 byes per conference is too many, and constantly watching 10 win teams get shafted isn't good.

Jaguar fans should be giddy over this idea  considering the future strength of our division.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:As much as I dislike Goddell, I actually agree with it. I think 2 byes per conference is too many, and constantly watching 10 win teams get shafted isn't good.

Jaguar fans should be giddy over this idea  considering the future strength of our division.

Why? So we can get essentially NFL-Welfare to make the playoffs?? Screw that. Its why making the playoffs in the NBA is hardly an accomplishment. 

10 win teams usually make the playoffs in the NFL. Its rare they don't. 

I guess what you want to see is more 8-8 teams and even more 7-9 teams make the playoffs, because thats whats going to happen. 

Yay! - mediocrity!!!

I don't want to see this occur because it would essentially dilute the playing field.

Now with the possibility of adding more franchises to the NFL, sure, I would warm up to the idea.

Yeah, we'll all be moaning and groaning - while we sit down to watch that extra wild-card game on wild-card weekend.

What, you're going to watch The Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Why? So we can get essentially NFL-Welfare to make the playoffs?? Screw that. Its why making the playoffs in the NBA is hardly an accomplishment. 

10 win teams usually make the playoffs in the NFL. Its rare they don't. 

I guess what you want to see is more 8-8 teams and even more 7-9 teams make the playoffs, because thats whats going to happen. 

Yay! - mediocrity!!!

Once again, you are in disagreement with something the rest of civilization thinks should happen. Why is this not surprising?

Quote:I agree with you wholeheartedly. 

I think the playoffs are fine the way they are, and changing it could be disastrous.
Me too, adding more teams would be absolutely awful.  Changing seeding would be bull too, division winners should get a home game, I don't care if they win their division with four wins.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:Once again, you are in disagreement with something the rest of civilization
 thinks should happen. Why is this not surprising?

Judging by this thread....BZZZZZTTT!!!!!! Wrong!

Good news for all of the reseeding opponents:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...-reseeding

Goodell mentioned that if the playoffs are extended they're thinking of having a Friday Night and Monday Night game.  Seems like a bad idea.  Monday night team gets screwed for a short rest.  And Friday Night football is a bad idea altogether.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Goodell mentioned that if the playoffs are extended they're thinking of having a Friday Night and Monday Night game.  Seems like a bad idea.  Monday night team gets screwed for a short rest.  And Friday Night football is a bad idea altogether.  

Goodell is [BLEEP]. All a Friday or Monday night game would do is either hurt one team or benefit another in terms of rest. Both coming into those game and considering the winners from them. 

I can't stand Goodell and many of the "new (Greedy $$$) guard" of owners. 

Rozelle and the old guard had it right and would always make moves that were best for the league. Today everything is about the immediate bottom line. 

Quote:If they add a few more teams, and you know they will - probably one for each conference - you know we'll watch.

You know you will.

Yes, I know I'll watch.  I know I'll watch the playoffs get watered down just like the bowl system got watered down by too many unworthy participants.

There's nothing wrong with the wildcard participants, and there's no valid reason for adding more.

Just like the bowls, it's solely to generate more revenue, not make football better.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Yeah, we'll all be moaning and groaning - while we sit down to watch that extra wild-card game on wild-card weekend.

What, you're going to watch The Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars?

A question that every NFL owner should serious consider is at what point would playoff expansion create decreased TV ratings in the regular season?   I'm not sure if it would happen at the 14 team level.   However,  if the playoffs are expanded to 16 teams,  which is only a step away from a 14 team playoff,  that's when I think there will be a significant decrease in the TV ratings.   It might not happen the first season of a 16 team playoff.  But once people realize that the regular season games don't have the meaning that they used to have,  as evidenced by 7-9 and 8-8 wildcard teams advancing in the playoffs,   that's when the NFL is going to get hit in the wallet.

Quote:I don't want to see this occur because it would essentially dilute the playing field.

Now with the possibility of adding more franchises to the NFL, sure, I would warm up to the idea.

As much as I don't want more franchises in the NFL because the demand for QB's is already noticeably higher than the supply,  if the NFL foolishly expands the playoffs,  then I hope the NFL adds several more teams.   From my point of view,   keeping the % of teams that make the playoffs down,   is a substantial key to having a meaningful regular season.  

Better record should have home-field advantage.