Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Top 10 All-Time Jaguars Busts

On one hand Leftwich was a good enough player to avoid being on this list. 

On the other hand, Leftwich fell short of the lofty expectations everyone had for him and Shack Harris desperately tried to prop him up by drafting two all-time loser crackhead busts Matt Jones and Reggie Williams, and shafting David Garrard who was clearly the better QB from the moment Fat-Boy hit the practice field for the first time, so he should make the list through "guilt by association". 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I wish you people would stop busting on Alualu. As stated, it's not his fault that he was overdrafted, but he's been more than a serviceable player. His position is not one that garners a lot of sacks, so quit throwing that up as well. This has been stated by people that know a lt more about football than you wannabe GM's and scouts. Enough already.... Cut the guy some slack.

And no, this is not his mother...
7 seasons and 83 starts with the team that drafted you precludes you from being a bust.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016, 01:12 AM by KodiakJag.)

This franchise has more busts than a comprehensive collection of ancient Roman sculptures

This franchise has more busts than the DEA

This franchise has more busts than an international wet t-shirt contest
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Quote:Just my opinion, but I really don't think Leftwich belongs on a a list of all-time Jaguars busts.
If you look at that pick by itself you are correct.  With that said, when you add in how the brass reached at future picks to prop up Byron's selection then his selection clearly does.

JMO

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Blackmon should not be on that list.  He has more yards in one season then most of our receivers prior to hurns and robinson had.   If he did not get suspended over and over again he would have been really good. Most rookies don't get 865 yards.  And till this day is all time receiving yards for the Jaguars as a nfl rookie.  Jimmy was not a rookie when joined the Jaguars.  

So though he messed up big time. He does not belong on that list.  

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Blackmon should not be on that list.  He has more yards in one season then most of our receivers prior to hurns and robinson had.   If he did not get suspended over and over again he would have been really good. Most rookies don't get 865 yards.  And till this day is all time receiving yards for the Jaguars as a nfl rookie.  Jimmy was not a rookie when joined the Jaguars.  

Being a bust doesn't mean they lacked talent.  Being a bust means they could not get on the field and produce, for whatever reason.

"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Quote:Blackmon should not be on that list.  He has more yards in one season then most of our receivers prior to hurns and robinson had.   If he did not get suspended over and over again he would have been really good. Most rookies don't get 865 yards.  And till this day is all time receiving yards for the Jaguars as a nfl rookie.  Jimmy was not a rookie when joined the Jaguars.  

You're pretty much making the exact opposite case than you intended.

Blackmon is the worst bust because he truly had the talent.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:On one hand Leftwich was a good enough player to avoid being on this list. 

On the other hand, Leftwich fell short of the lofty expectations everyone had for him and Shack Harris desperately tried to prop him up by drafting two all-time loser crackhead busts Matt Jones and Reggie Williams, and shafting David Garrard who was clearly the better QB from the moment Fat-Boy hit the practice field for the first time, so he should make the list through "guilt by association". 

My take is though like you mentioned Byron Leftwich didn't meet lofty expectations,  injuries played a major role in this.   Maybe,  part of that was due to his long release.   Yet,  when it came to clutch play,  arm strength,  and toughness,   Leftwich measured up well.

On a side note,  I'm glad to see that time has changed many Jaguars fans opinion on Fernando Bryant,  as he wasn't mentioned negatively in this thread.

Quote:On one hand Leftwich was a good enough player to avoid being on this list. 

Garrard was a terrible passer up until 2007, but partially made up for it with his running. Leftwich was clearly the better QB until his injury in 2005.

Reggie Williams was a reach. I still don't understand the pick. He was a second-tier receiver in a draft full of second-tier receivers after Fitzgerald and Roy Williams were gone, and with a first-tier QB in Roethlisberger still on the table. That situation screamed for a trade down.

Matt Jones was a fast tall QB who played great as a WR in the Senior Bowl. The Jags weren't the only team interested in him, the Eagles requested a trade up to pick him. He was also a coaches son which typically means that he had been drilled with a strong work ethic. He turned out to be an exception to that rule.

Based on what was publicly known at the time, I'd rate the worst first round picks as Reggie Williams, Tyson Alualu, and R. Jay Soward in that order. Based on the final results, I'd put Gabbert #1 followed by Harvey and Blackmon. Other than Soward, most of the other first round busts contributed some value, and Soward was a very late 1st.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote: On a side note,  I'm glad to see that time has changed many Jaguars fans opinion on Fernando Bryant,  as he wasn't mentioned negatively in this thread.

There have been so many first round busts for the Jags that Fernando Bryant has dropped through the cracks. He was a very good CB until the other teams noticed that he never looked back for the ball and so they just threw it to the guy he was covering anyway. And he always did a good job against Marvin Harrison.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"