Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bill O' Brien to be Next Texans Coach

Quote:Gabbert was a top recruit too, tool. How'd that one work out? 

Keep trying to diminish O Brien's accomplishments. You'll look dumber when he succeeds in Houston. 

Winning with freshman QB is never easy in college football. 
hackenberg had a great rookie season whereas gabby did not, seriously your rebuttals are so embarrassing.

not diminishing obrien at all, youre the one diminishing Hackenbergs talent you idiot, yes hes a freshman but hes not just any freshman, he has legit nfl talent. youre so illiterate dude.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013, 08:24 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:hackenberg had a great rookie season whereas gabby did not, seriously your rebuttals are so embarrassing.

not diminishing obrien at all, youre the one diminishing Hackenbergs talent you idiot, yes hes a freshman but hes not just any freshman, he has legit nfl talent. youre so illiterate dude.

lol, you're so easy....

Gabbert was a top recruit coming out of high school. Make all the excuses you want for it going belly up after that point. Lots of top QB recruits have legit NFL potential. But it doesn't always end well. Part of that is coaching/ development. Its not just "players not plays" as you are simplifying it to be, 

Maybe if Gabbert would have had O Brien as his head coach as a freshman things might have ended better for him. He would have been groomed to play QB the right way. I don't care how good of a prospect Hackenberg was. O Brien should get credit for developing him and still maintaining a winning season. 

Keep trying to argue both sides though. 

oh, and HeeRo, .....

Carr sucks. Too bad theres no way Houston drafts him now.... sucks for us. 

Quote:lol, you're so easy....

Gabbert was a top recruit coming out of high school. Make all the excuses you want for it going belly up after that point, 

Maybe if Gabbert would have had O Brien as his head coach as a freshman things might have ended better for him. He would have been groomed to play QB the right way. I don't care how good of a prospect Hackenberg was. O Brien should get credit for developing him and still maintaining a winning season. 

Keep trying to argue both sides though. 

oh, and HeeRo, .....

Carr sucks. Too bad theres no way Houston drafts him now.... sucks for us. 
[Image: movinggoalpost.gif]

If Bill O'Brien does indeed end up as Texans HC,  time will tell how the decision will pan out for the Texans.  O'Brien did a very good job at Penn State. But the history of former Bill Belichick assistants as an NFL HC isn't good. 

One thing I give the Texans huge credit for is not waiting until the end of the season to fire Gary Kubiak.  The Texans proactive approach gave them a head start compared to all of the other teams that will be firing their Head Coach after the regular season.   Once your team is eliminated from the playoffs and it's apparent that the HC isn't going to be retained,  it makes no sense delaying the inevitable.  

Quote:Excuses? O Brien needs no excuses. How many other coaches would have been successful given that Penn State situation/ circumstances???

Not many. Not many at all. 

The mark of both a good QB and good head coach is doing more with less/ or doing well through adversity. O Brien proved his worth. 

I guess by your mark Al Golden would make a great NFL Head Coach as well. Ya know, since mediocre results post-scandal are the measure.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:If Bill O'Brien does indeed end up as Texans HC,  time will tell how the decision will pan out for the Texans.  O'Brien did a very good job at Penn State. But the history of former Bill Belichick assistants as an NFL HC isn't good. 

One thing I give the Texans huge credit for is not waiting until the end of the season to fire Gary Kubiak.  The Texans proactive approach gave them a head start compared to all of the other teams that will be firing their Head Coach after the regular season.   Once your team is eliminated from the playoffs and it's apparent that the HC isn't going to be retained,  it makes no sense delaying the inevitable.  

That doesn't necessarily mean much D6, you can look at it in reverse - didn't a lot of coaches from the Bill Walsh tree turn out pretty good?....and then there was Ray Rhodes....so theres always exceptions. 

The fact that O Brien is already showing success albeit in college, ---- but in circumstances that a lot of coaches likely wouldn't have been able to produce the same amount of success says a lot. 

Yep, the procactive approach by the Texans did indeed give them a head start in the coaching race. So to all the people that like to say "theres really no reason to not wait until the end of the season to fire a head coach", you're all dead wrong. 

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013, 08:35 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I guess by your mark Al Golden would make a great NFL Head Coach as well. Ya know, since mediocre results post-scandal are the measure.

Al Golden might make a pretty good NFL head coach. Do you know that he wouldn't??

The dude won at TEMPLE for Gods sake.....Temple!!!!

Think about that one for a few minutes.... 

Quote:Al Golden might make a pretty good NFL head coach. Do you know that he wouldn't??

No, in fact I think he would make a good one. I just had to point out that there are other coaches who have had identical results in identical situations and yet, you don't hear people clamoring for them to be hired. Again, that points back to the question. What makes him special?

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:No, in fact I think he would make a good one. I just had to point out that there are other coaches who have had identical results in identical situations and yet, you don't hear people clamoring for them to be hired. Again, that points back to the question. What makes him special?

I've already answered it. 

The mark of a good coach is doing more with less/ winning through adversity. O Brien has proven that now for 2 years. Had he stayed at PSU, he'd have undoubtedly had that program to one of the best teams in the country in short time. 

He didn't get the coach of the year award last season for being "mediocre" as you labeled it. 

Quote:I've already answered it. 

The mark of a good coach is doing more with less/ winning through adversity. O Brien has proven that now for 2 years. Had he stayed at PSU, he'd have undoubtedly had that program to one of the best teams in the country in short time. 

He didn't get the coach of the year award last season for being "mediocre" as you labeled it. 

Oh please. That Award had a lot more to do with being a feel good story in response to what happened there than anything he did on the football field.

Quote:That doesn't necessarily mean much D6, you can look at it in reverse - didn't a lot of coaches from the Bill Walsh tree turn out pretty good?....and then there was Ray Rhodes....so theres always exceptions. 

The fact that O Brien is already showing success albeit in college, ---- but in circumstances that a lot of coaches likely wouldn't have been able to produce the same amount of success says a lot. 

Yep, the procactive approach by the Texans did indeed give them a head start in the coaching race. So to all the people that like to say "theres really no reason to not wait until the end of the season to fire a head coach", you're all dead wrong. 

Bill O'Brien might turn out to be a great NFL HC, being an exception, not the norm regarding the Bill Belichick coaching tree.  Yet, the history of the BB tree not producing good enough results as NFL HC's is a significant concern.

Ray Rhodes comes to mind as a caution sign needed for Eagles fans and others that are already putting Chip Kelly into elite status as an NFL HC.  In Rhodes first season as Eagles HC,  the Eagles made the playoffs and advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs.   That was Rhodes'  high point as an NFL HC.   Kelly might turn out to be a great NFL coach over a long period of time but I'm interested to see how the opposition responses to Kelly with a full off-season of preparation.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013, 08:51 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Bill O'Brien might turn out to be a great NFL HC, being an exception, not the norm regarding the Bill Belichick coaching tree.  Yet, the history of the BB tree not producing good enough results as NFL HC's is a significant concern.

Ray Rhodes comes to mind as a caution sign needed for Eagles fans and others that are already putting Chip Kelly into elite status as an NFL HC.  In Rhodes first season as Eagles HC,  the Eagles made the playoffs and advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs.   That was Rhodes'  high point as an NFL HC.   Kelly might turn out to be a great NFL coach over a long period of time but I'm interested to see how the opposition responses to Kelly with a full off-season of preparation.

The history of the BB coaching tree should give one at least some pause, I agree.....however, IIRC, only O Brien has gone on to first be a head coach prior to then going to the NFL as far as assistants from that tree, previously. The others have all tried to go straight from that tree as an assistant to the NFL, no? So the circumstances aren't identical. 

As for your Eagles point, you might raise a good point there. But again.....in Rhodes case, there was no head coaching experience before his Eagles gig, whereas Kelly has prior HC experience. 

Not that it matters because apparently we have no chance the next decade but I actually think O'Brien will be a good coach in the NFL.

I also believe and trust the Jags regime we currently have in place will have us on par with the rest of the division each year.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:Not that it matters because apparently we have no chance the next decade but I actually think O'Brien will be a good coach in the NFL.

I also believe and trust the Jags regime we currently have in place will have us on par with the rest of the division each year.
Dont forget, Christian Hackenberg, a 5 star recruit who had a great freshman year with legit nfl future would be Gabbert if it werent for Obrien.  Forget about the talent he has, his success is all because of Obrien.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013, 09:08 PM by D6.)

Quote:The history of the BB coaching tree should give one at least some pause, I agree.....however, IIRC, only O Brien has gone on to first be a head coach prior to then going to the NFL as far as assistants from that tree, previously. The others have all tried to go straight from that tree as an assistant to the NFL, no? So the circumstances aren't identical. 

As for your Eagles point, you might raise a good point there. But again.....in Rhodes case, there was no head coaching experience before his Eagles gig, whereas Kelly has prior HC experience. 

In the case of Josh McDaniels, he went directly from being Patriots Offensive Coordinator to Broncos HC.  It will be interesting to see if the 2 year stint at Penn State helps prepare Bill O'Brien better than it did McDaniels for what's ahead.  So much is going to depend on which QB ends as the Texans QB of the future and how well O'Brien and his staff develop him.  

Having HC experience prior to becoming an NFL HC is better than the alternative if everything is equal.  However,  we have seen many times,  coaches with no previous HC experience have done well as NFL HC's.   And vice versa.    After 1995,  I couldn't praise Ray Rhodes and then Eagles Defensive Coordinator Emmitt Thomas enough for the job they did that season.  Eagles fans have to hope that history doesn't repeat itself in Chip Kelly peaking in his first season as an NFL HC like Rhodes did 18 years ago.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Dont forget, Christian Hackenberg, a 5 star recruit who had a great freshman year with legit nfl future would be Gabbert if it werent for Obrien.  Forget about the talent he has, his success is all because of Obrien.

....said no one on this thread, till you just did. 

Attributing PART of the success of Hackenberg during his freshman season to O Brien isn't attributing ALL of the success to O Brien. 

You are just one of those people that gives no credit to coaches for player development. You think its all as simplistic as "players not plays". 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...next-week/

It remains to be seen if Bill O'Brien will be interviewing with other teams.

Quote:His results at Penn State were not mediocre at all considering the circumstances he was saddled with. Thats why he won the friggin coach of the year award last season, you knucklehead. This year he managed to have a winning record with a FRESHMAN QB for Gods sake. His results at PSU have NOT been "mediocre"
Quote:You know that freshman qb is a 5 star recruit and the favorite to he the first qb taken for the 2016 draft right?

Yet another misinformed and terrible take. You're so embarrassing dude.
Quote:Gabbert was a top recruit too, tool. How'd that one work out? 

Keep trying to diminish O Brien's accomplishments. You'll look dumber when he succeeds in Houston. 

Winning with freshman QB is never easy in college football. 
Quote:hackenberg had a great rookie season whereas gabby did not, seriously your rebuttals are so embarrassing.

Quote:lol, you're so easy....

Gabbert was a top recruit coming out of high school. Make all the excuses you want for it going belly up after that point. Lots of top QB recruits have legit NFL potential. But it doesn't always end well. Part of that is coaching/ development. Its not just "players not plays" as you are simplifying it to be, 

Keep trying to argue both sides though. . 
check mate clown

Quote:Lets break it down.

- Led Duke to historically low offensive output, which considering their football background is saying something.

- Bounced around the New England coaching staff (never holding the same position for more than one season)

- Had mediocre results at Penn St.

8-4 & 7-5 (could've been 8-4 as the refs blew a call at the end of the Nebraska game) is mediocre? That is after the reduction in scholarships, too.

Quote:8-4 & 7-5 (could've been 8-4 as the refs blew a call at the end of the Nebraska game) is mediocre? That is after the reduction in scholarships, too.

Absolutely. That's the textbook definition of mediocre.