Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bill O' Brien to be Next Texans Coach

Quote:I would argue getting 4 or 5 wins with this roster is more impressive than what O'Brien did with his roster and the competition he faced.

The 2nd half of Jacksonville's schedule was the easiest in recent memory and one of the easiest stretches of schedule that you'll ever see. When they were 0-8 I was saying that the next 8 games were "winnable" even with this roster. (not meaning that they'd go 8-0, but meaning that any one of those games could be won by the Jags, yes even these Jags). 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So you would have taken Smith over Mularkey, but now you think Smith is overrated? 

Yes I would have taken Smith over Mularkey. 

Uhmmmm, you do realize that Mularkey is 100% hot garbage, right? 

I'd probably take Wade Phillips over Mularkey too, doesn't mean that I "like" Wade Phillips as a head coach. 

Quote:I just want to see the Jags get better, I don't care what everyone else in the division does. If we do our job it won't matter either.

No kidding.

TMD has the crappiest attitude of any 'favorite team' attitudes of anyone that I've ever seen.  I can't think of a more negative poster, perhaps ever.  Yet, he's a big fan of the team?  He always manages to see the gray lining in every silver cloud.  Something just doesn't jibe for a fan.

Back to your point.  I don't give a rat's patoot about aay other team.  It's all about what happens here.  If Caldwell and Bradley build a winning team, who gives a crap about the rest of the division.  As a matter of fact, I liked it when we were considered one the best divisions in football.

What a downright pathetic excuse for a so-called fan.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:The 2nd half of Jacksonville's schedule was the easiest in recent memory and one of the easiest stretches of schedule that you'll ever see. When they were 0-8 I was saying that the next 8 games were "winnable" even with this roster. (not meaning that they'd go 8-0, but meaning that any one of those games could be won by the Jags, yes even these Jags). 

Who cares what you said?  If you haven't seen a lot of improvement from this team, despite who we played, you weren't watching.  I've seen Penn State play and I've seen their competition also.  I thought O'Brien did a good job last year, but was kind of OK this year.  I don't think it was that impressive all things considered.  I'm not saying he did a bad job - I think overall he did a good job.. but I think despite the sanctions, Penn State had a good enough team to win 7-8 games, which they did.  Look at the teams they beat this year... You can argue that O'Brien didn't win a single game as an underdog this year.... It's not like he kept up with Ohio State or beat Ohio State - THAT would have been a perfect example of doing more with less.  He had a lot of close wins against mediocre competiton, big freakin deal.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:No kidding.

TMD has the crappiest attitude of any 'favorite team' attitudes of anyone that I've ever seen.  I can't think of a more negative poster, perhaps ever.  Yet, he's a big fan of the team?  He always manages to see the gray lining in every silver cloud.  Something just doesn't jibe for a fan.

Back to your point.  I don't give a rat's patoot about aay other team.  It's all about what happens here.  If Caldwell and Bradley build a winning team, who gives a crap about the rest of the division.  As a matter of fact, I liked it when we were considered one the best divisions in football.

What a downright pathetic excuse for a so-called fan.

Its not a negative attitude. 

I've just learned a lot from my decades of watching football. 

Having (wanting) the division you play in to be tough and filled with the best coaches & QB might be a "noble" way to look at it, but its also a STUPID way to approach it if you have any realistic thoughts / hopes of having success (division titles & more) in the near future. 

As said, How'd playing in the NFC East with the likes of the Giants/ Redskins & Cowboys fare for the Cardinals & Eagles over the 1980's and early 1990's?? The Eagles even had the best defense ever assembled and were still so exhausted by the time the playoffs arrived through fighting through such hard schedules that they never could get over the hump. 

Conversely, look at a team like the 1980's/ early 1990's San Fran 49ers, who benefited from weaker divisions and weaker schedule and they were able to win many divisions and gain higher playoff seeding with help from that. That ultimately made their playoff ride to the SB's easier and less taxing on their team, so they were fresher come playoff time. 

So you can label me with a bad attitude all you want. I know that the tougher this division gets the worse it is for the Jaguars chances of any real success. History proves it. Heck even the Jags themselves had their BEST success as a franchise when their AFC Central division was in a weak ebb. 

Sure, I agree that having 4 really good teams in our division is not the best situation to be in.

However, I think shtting the bed just because the Texans signed Bill freakin O'Brien is simply crazy. Chill out, man.  You don't know that Bill O'Brien will be a success story in the NFL.  I think you are greatly overrating him.  Not saying he's a bad coach.. but he's definitely not a coach to be feared.

It's not like the Texans are bringing Lombardi back... but you make it seem like they are.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

The tacks are IMO not ascending like we are....

The Colts have Luck, but they also just traded their 1st round pick away for Trent Richardson... we can gain some ground on them.

Quote:The tacks are IMO not ascending like we are....

The Colts have Luck, but they also just traded their 1st round pick away for Trent Richardson... we can gain some ground on them.

I agree right now the Tacks are not ascending. Thats why I hope Munchak stays in place. 

But if the Tacks fire Munchak and replace him with say, Shaw from Stanford...well then, that situation could be changing for their better real quick. 

Quote:I agree right now the Tacks are not ascending. Thats why I hope Munchak stays in place. 

But if the Tacks fire Munchak and replace him with say, Shaw from Stanford...well then, that situation could be changing for their better real quick. 

Yeah, could be changing... could also not change even if they hire those guys.

Point is, your panic is downright laughable.  Chill out FFS.

This thread is hilarious.  I have no idea how anyone can panic over stuff like this like TMD does.

Quote:Its not a negative attitude. 

Baloney.  80% (at least) of your posts are negative and the ones that aren't are a brief mention.

I've just learned a lot from my decades of watching football.

Like how to be negative, opinionated and self-centered?

Having (wanting) the division you play in to be tough and filled with the best coaches & QB might be a "noble" way to look at it, but its also a STUPID way to approach it if you have any realistic thoughts / hopes of having success (division titles & more) in the near future. 

So you only want them to play bad teams?  Then again, that would give you a fallback to complain about the bad teams they've beaten.

As said, How'd playing in the NFC East with the likes of the Giants/ Redskins & Cowboys fare for the Cardinals & Eagles over the 1980's and early 1990's?? The Eagles even had the best defense ever assembled and were still so exhausted by the time the playoffs arrived through fighting through such hard schedules that they never could get over the hump. 

Interesting that you'd go back 20 years rather than just looking at the last 7 where the Giants have won the Super Bowl twice.  Let's not even mention that the NFC East has won 10 Super Bowls since 1980.  Competition can only make you better.

Conversely, look at a team like the 1980's/ early 1990's San Fran 49ers, who benefited from weaker divisions and weaker schedule and they were able to win many divisions and gain higher playoff seeding with help from that. That ultimately made their playoff ride to the SB's easier and less taxing on their team, so they were fresher come playoff time. 

See above.

So you can label me with a bad attitude all you want. I know that the tougher this division gets the worse it is for the Jaguars chances of any real success. History proves it. Heck even the Jags themselves had their BEST success as a franchise when their AFC Central division was in a weak ebb. 

Only because it's true.  Maybe it's not your fault.  It's that attitude that's pervasive in the northeast.  I always liked to call them anti-fans.  Or maybe it's sophisticated fans.  I get them mixed up.  You're hear to rant and rave and get noticed.  It works.  You do indeed make a spectacle of yourself.  But it gets really, really, old.

How pathetic.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Yes I would have taken Smith over Mularkey. 

Uhmmmm, you do realize that Mularkey is 100% hot garbage, right? 

I'd probably take Wade Phillips over Mularkey too, doesn't mean that I "like" Wade Phillips as a head coach. 

Your double-flopping is unreal. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:This thread is hilarious.  I have no idea how anyone can panic over stuff like this like TMD does.

Its fun to watch, no?   Smile

Gene's Myth

TMD loves to panic. It's what he does to get a reaction.

I don't get the cult of personality regarding coaches. No one has a clue how someone like O'Brien will do.

What people should be obsessing about are the GMs. Do you think O'Brien will do well if they have bad drafts?

Do you think Chuck Pagano is a good coach? You have no idea. But they have Andrew Luck and they win a lot of games. Funny how that works.

So bring on O'Brien. They can bring back Vinny Lombardi for all I care. It really depends on the GM.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I think its a great hire for the Texans.  He was able to coach up a team that had inferior talent and continue to win despite everything that is against them.

If I were an NFL team I would want new blood as a coach, not retreads....I think they made a good choice.

Quote: 

So bring on <b><i>O'Brien</i></b> They can bring back Vinny <b><i>Lombardi </i></b> for all I care. It really depends on the GM.

Interesting having those 2 mentioned in your same sentence. I won't be surprised if one wins the other soon. 

Quote:I think its a great hire for the Texans.  He was able to coach up a team that had inferior talent and continue to win despite everything that is against them.

If I were an NFL team I would want new blood as a coach, not retreads....I think they made a good choice.

And thats the mark of a good head coach or QB. A track record of doing more with less, and winning through adversity. 

The division is not setting up well for the Jags to have much success over the next X number of years. Its like the NFL wants it this way. Years ago it was Manning and Fisher with their teams duking it out for supremecy of the division for about a decade and now it seems to be shaping up between Luck and O Brien/ Bridgewater for the next decade. 

Whats infuriating is the Jags played a part in their own fate. Had they merely lost a few more games to the Texans and Colts in 2011, 2013, the entire division outlook for the Jags would be brighter right now. smh,,,

It looks like the title of this thread is going to become a reality:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...or-texans/

O’Brien bolts Penn State for Texans

What an awful hire. What has this guy done? He will be another broken branch in the Bill B. tree, and the Texans have to buy out his contract?

As a Jag fan, we thank you Bob. I feel a downward spiral coming for that franchise.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013, 11:56 PM by Adam2012.)

Quote:Interesting having those 2 mentioned in your same sentence. I won't be surprised if one wins the other soon. 

And thats the mark of a good head coach or QB. A track record of doing more with less, and winning through adversity. 

The division is not setting up well for the Jags to have much success over the next X number of years. Its like the NFL wants it this way. Years ago it was Manning and Fisher with their teams duking it out for supremecy of the division for about a decade and now it seems to be shaping up between Luck and O Brien/ Bridgewater for the next decade. 

Whats infuriating is the Jags played a part in their own fate. Had they merely lost a few more games to the Texans and Colts in 2011, 2013, the entire division outlook for the Jags would be brighter right now. smh,,,
Why do you always do that? You pretend to look into the future and, surprise!, it's always gloom and doom.

If you gave some kind of reasoned explanation, that would be one thing. But no - just out of the blue you are convinced that Teddy Bridgewater and Bill O'Brien are going to dominate the AFCS.

Like I said, I'm more concerned about personnel acquisition and how that sets up for the future of the AFCS. I'm not as concerned about a two-year college coach who was OC for a short time for the Patriots (if Manning is the OC on the Broncos you don't think Brady and Belichick aren't for the Pats?)

And Bridgewater could blow out his knee the first day of training camp.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

May O'Brien be as successful as all the other disciples of BB.

60% of the Time...It works everytime...