Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"Officiating Worse Then It Has Ever Been, Including Replacements"

It has been down right terrible. I got a good chuckle last year when some wanted to suggest the replacements were worse than the "regulars". There are at minimum 5 egregious calls per week, on top of some other garbage as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...--nfl.html

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dean Blandino's first year as the NFL's VP of officiating is certainly worse than any season Mike Periera had the job. I had never heard of incorrectly moving the sticks or failure to penalize somebody on the sideline for stepping onto the field. In the Ravens/Lions game ESPN replayed several blatant pass interference penalties that weren't called after a Raven was not flagged for holding a Lion's wrist in the end zone, which makes me think DPI on third down should be reviewable. This week, Blandino said a referee should have penalized a Steeler for the hit that put Kevin Huber on IR. And I have to disagree with him about waving off DPI because the ball was underthrown at Carolina. But the one mistake only Jaguars fans talk about despite being a rules violation was reviewing a nonreviewable play, saying there was no indisputable evidence to overturn the call when there was, and charging Gus Bradley with a timeout. Why wasn't that one discussed on NFL Total Access?

Despite all of that, it is important to note the reason a replay system was invented was egregious officiating errors and it does correct a lot of them. Part of the problem is judgment calls such as pass interference, holding, and roughing the passer and fumble recoveries in the field of play are not reviewable. If they were, we would not be as mad at the officials.

Quote:It has been down right terrible. I got a good chuckle last year when some wanted to suggest the replacements were worse than the "regulars". There are at minimum 5 egregious calls per week, on top of some other garbage as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...--nfl.html

While the officiating may not be great this year, to even compare it to the replacements is pretty dumb...thus, ends your arguement.

Officials have been terrible from the first game of football/baseball/basketball I have ever watched/played. 

Tough job, but if you can't stand the heat, get the out of the kitchen. 

I've said that since they got rid of the replacement refs. The refs are like Umpires...They just want to watch each other's back, not take responsibility for making the proper call...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

I can't tell the difference between the OFFICIAL officials and the replacements right now. 

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:While the officiating may not be great this year, to even compare it to the replacements is pretty dumb...thus, ends your arguement.
It's not just my argument.

;

Quote:I can't tell the difference between the OFFICIAL officials and the replacements right now. 
Nope

;

Quote:While the officiating may not be great this year, to even compare it to the replacements is pretty dumb...thus, ends your arguement.

I disagree.

The replacement refs would miss / allow the calls that could go either way. Which allowed for a smoother game, IMO. Similarly, they would occasionally mess up calls in ways that even an average fan would get right, but it didn't usually affect the outcome of a game. I think these refs are making mistakes that shouldn't happen at the NFL level. The frequency of error is too much for something like the NFL where its product should be reliable.

Quote:I disagree.

The replacement refs would miss/allow the calls that could go either way. Which allowed for a smoother game, IMO. Similarly, they would occasionally mess up calls in ways that even an average fan would get right, but it didn't usually affect the outcome of a game. I think these refs are making mistakes that shouldn't happen at the NFL level. The frequency of error is too much for something like the NFL where its product should be reliable.

It was not just bad calls. I remember one night they spent 6 minutes talking about a Broncos fumble recovered by the Falcons. I also saw a two-minute warning was called before the PAT attempt. They really did not know how to do their jobs.

Wow, anyone else see that PI call on Baltimore that just gave the Pats 1st and goal?

Almost the same call that won the Browns game for them. Ridiculous.

Quote:Wow, anyone else see that PI call on Baltimore that just gave the Pats 1st and goal?

Almost the same call that won the Browns game for them. Ridiculous.
It's simply laughable at times.

;

The speed of the game has absolutely effected officiating. Yes I understand the referees/field judges are to monitor their sections of the plays, but asking refreees have to throw a flag on a play that has a 50/50 discretion in 1/10 a second is difficult.

These kind of arguments exists because of the tv audience having benefits to multiple replays in between plays, commercial breaks, etc. While viewing the game at the stadium in live action, the speed is dramatically different.

Having an onsite review booth team will help take the pressure off the officials, but the game will turn into a 5 hour event which I dont know if the NFL wants that.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:The speed of the game has absolutely effected officiating. Yes I understand the referees/field judges are to monitor their sections of the plays, but asking refreees have to throw a flag on a play that has a 50/50 discretion in 1/10 a second is difficult.

These kind of arguments exists because of the tv audience having benefits to multiple replays in between plays, commercial breaks, etc. While viewing the game at the stadium in live action, the speed is dramatically different.

Having an onsite review booth team will help take the pressure off the officials, but the game will turn into a 5 hour event which I dont know if the NFL wants that.

Yep, and I read an article on SI that followed a crew for one week.  They are looked at so closely on calls and can get dinged easily. 

These guys watch film, listen on conference calls, and talk to each other on a weekly basis.  If they cant get it right to your liking, nobody will.

I guess this is going to be a weekly occurrence, particularly by TravC59 and/or JaguarsWoman.

There are going to be some "bad" calls among the million or so calls made during 16 games. You're not used to it, you're not ready for it? You should be.

If you are seeking perfection you might want to start following chess.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.