Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pass interference

Jon Gruden said pass interference should be reviewable after referee Gerry Austin told him, "You are right. That is pass interference!" Then ESPN showed some blatant, uncalled pass interference penalties in other games. I understand why PI is not reviewable. However, grabbing a wrist to keep the receiver's left arm down is so obvious it can't be a judgment call like some others are and that happened in the end zone on third down. The Lions missed out on four points there because of the penalty that no flag was thrown for. I have to blame the officials for that loss, not Calvin Johnson's three drops, because they seemed to want the Ravens to win.

What do you think? I would wish PI was reviewable if it was always that obvious, especially in the end zone. But to do that would require not making it a judgment call. How would you improve officiating to reduce errors in calling or not calling pass interference?

I would give it a more exact definition: What specific actions by the defensive player warrant a flag? That would take all judgment out of it, allowing coaches to challenge if it occurs on third or fourth down.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013, 05:44 AM by archer56.)

I think i saw something on NFL.com that they were looking into the NHL's penalty review system. I personally think it' something that needs to happen but not only with PI fouls, but the roughing the passer plays and helmet to helmet hits on receivers when they're catching the ball. A lot of penalties aren't warrented and if they at least gave the option for the coaches to at least challenge the flag like lesser penalties I think a lot of games would have different outcomes.

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Penalty box for nfl players, let's do it!
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

You've got to have vaguely defined penalties that require a subjective judgement on the field. If you take that away then how would the NFL be able to influence games to get their preferred teams into the win column/playoffs?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You've got to have vaguely defined penalties that require a subjective judgement on the field. If you take that away then how would the NFL be able to influence games to get their preferred teams into the win column/playoffs?

Sigh.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I hate replay, kill it with fire.

Why bother with all this crap, cant someone develop a sensor system on the players to we can see exactly what touched what and when? Maybe something that reads brain waves too so we can see if they are thinking about breaking the rules.

Better yet, why not create some robot refs who can analyze all the millions of bits of data in nano seconds and get the correct call 110% of the time? Then, if we can develop robot refs, maybe we can develop robot players. I bet they wouldn't fumble on the goal-line or miss tackles. The game can only benefit from this.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:I think i saw something on NFL.com that they were looking into the NHL's penalty review system. I personally think it's something that needs to happen but not only with PI fouls, but the roughing the passer plays and helmet to helmet hits on receivers when they're catching the ball. A lot of penalties aren't warrented and if they at least gave the option for the coaches to at least challenge the flag like lesser penalties I think a lot of games would have different outcomes.

The first time I remember people complaining about face mask being unreviewable was after Sean Payton threw his red flag because he saw an obvious face mask grab. The player who should have been flagged was the same guy who forced a fumble! So the Vikings went on offense because their penalty was not called. You can argue if it had been called, it was more likely the Saints would have won the game. After that I came on here to start a thread about face mask penalties not being reviewable.

I totally agree on helmet collisions. If only RTP was reviewable our sack of Tom Brady would have counted because he clearly ducked his head to get the flag. I think any time a player is flagged for hitting someone's helmet it needs to be reviewed for intent: Did he aim for a shoulder and only hit the head because the other player ducked? But for that to happen, the NFL must go back to allowing those accidental helmet collisions and only make targeting the head or neck illegal. I don't see that happening in the near future.

Coaches are allowed to tell officials the other team had 12 men on the field or the quarterback crossed the LOS before throwing the ball. Those are reviewable because, unlike RTP and PI, they are not judgment calls. That is why I wish face mask grabs were reviewable - they are not judgment calls either. But will the NFL ever take referee judgment out of roughing the passer, pass interference, unnecessary roughness, and holding?

Quote:You've got to have vaguely defined penalties that require a subjective judgement on the field. If you take that away then how would the NFL be able to influence games to get their preferred teams into the win column/playoffs?

Quote:I hate replay, kill it with fire.

Why bother with all this crap, cant someone develop a sensor system on the players to we can see exactly what touched what and when? Maybe something that reads brain waves too so we can see if they are thinking about breaking the rules.

Better yet, why not create some robot refs who can analyze all the millions of bits of data in nano seconds and get the correct call 110% of the time? Then, if we can develop robot refs, maybe we can develop robot players. I bet they wouldn't fumble on the goal-line or miss tackles. The game can only benefit from this.

I hope both of you are being sarcastic.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM by Deacon.)

Quote:I hate replay, kill it with fire.

Agreed. Replay needs to go away. Human fallibility is a part of the game and it always will be. No use in trying to eliminate what can't be eliminated.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I mean the Ref was looking right at dude's arm.  The blind kid from Dumb and Dumber could have called that. 

I am getting tired of refs looking directly at something and making the wrong call, or not making the call at all.  These guys suck. 

I'm tired of the histrionics when receivers beg for flags.  How long do we want games to take with everything being reviewed.  The game is already getting killed with the whole "Receiver must complete a football Move" nonsense.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I'm tired of the histrionics when receivers beg for flags.  How long do we want games to take with everything being reviewed.  The game is already getting killed with the whole "Receiver must complete a football move" nonsense.

I have no problem with players begging for flags when they are right, which often happens. Unfortunately officials don't care what the players think.

Something else I hate: The receiver must have possession all the way to the ground. There is no Calvin Johnson Rule because the NFL decided only clarification of it will help, not taking that part out of the rulebook.

But even with stupid rules like that, I still think the NFL is better than college football. At least they don't eject players for targeting.

We can agree to disagree on the flag begging.  I was surprised that Miami wasn't called for PI on the final Patriots drive Sunday.  That is typically a call Tom Brady gets.  Honestly that is the problem for me.

But yeah the Calvin Johnson rule is exactly what we agree about.  The replays are slow motion and the game is full speed ahead.  Of course the plays look different on replay.  Ugh this is football not rocket science.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I hope both of you are being sarcastic.

I never kid about such serious matters.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I never kid about such serious matters.

So you might want to think twice about why a replay system was invented in the first place: to correct errors that are obvious to anyone watching games on TV. The fact that it does not always work the way it should comes from a problem the NFL refuses to admit: officials are biased. That was obvious in the Ravens/Lions game.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013, 11:52 PM by Adam2012.)

Quote:So you might want to think twice about why a replay system was invented in the first place: to correct errors that are obvious to anyone watching games on TV. The fact that it does not always work the way it should comes from a problem the NFL refuses to admit: officials are biased. That was obvious in the Ravens/Lions game.

Just stop it with the biased garbage. Provide proof or let it go.

I'm sure you are perfect in whatever field you are in. Or are you biased when you make an error?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

PI should just be a 15 yard penalty. If they aren't going to call it consistently for both sides, then that is the only solution IMO.

Defensive PI needs to be reviewable. It's potentially far too big of a penalty to be called incorrectly as much as it is.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:PI should just be a 15 yard penalty. If they aren't going to call it consistently for both sides, then that is the only solution IMO.

Even 15 yards would be an automatic first down. I like it being a spot foul. Changing the yardage will not help make calls better.

Quote:Defensive PI needs to be reviewable. It's potentially far too big of a penalty to be called incorrectly as much as it is.

Offensive pass interference should be reviewable too. You can't miss a receiver pushing a cornerback out of the way.

If nothing else, at least make it reviewable in the end zone.