Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So who is the pick today?

Quote:Right but Clowney is pretty fast, so does his size exclude him? Or is it ok as long as the player is fast enough?
I think we'll have to wait until the combine to actually check his speed, watching his game against UCF (the game kodiak scouted bortles) he seemed like he would be able to get around the edge but the one thing i was suprised is even with a full head of speed bortles was able to outrun him and get the ball thrown away, so it makes me wonder how much run down speed he has. But on the other hand, Bortles wasn't able to turn the ball up feild either to gain yards, and the annoucners said that clowney has the speed and takes the right angles to deny the QB from being able to turn a play like that into a play which most mobile qbs would be able to turn into a positive run gain. so perhaps he does have the speed to do it, But realistically, Think of this possiblity. We take clowney and line him up at the right end, then put andre branch in the leo with the way he's been developing. This takes him off the line where he hasn't done well, and puts him in a more mobile position which it seems he's having the most success with thusfar this season. Clowney demands the on the line off the ball double team to stop him, freeing up a blocker for branch to rush the QB.

Quote:Clowney or Barr in the 1st and McCarron or Bortles in the 2nd. Yes and thank you. If we have to and Caldwell feels like Mccarron or Bortles wont be there in the 2nd, then trade back into the first to get em
What about trading down in the first to get Bortles and collecting a second round or multiple later round picks (3rd and then some) then trading back up into the second round to grab some defense or O line help. If we trade down in the 1st and accumulate more picks we'll have 11+ draft picks to mess around with this draft.

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Barr, Mack , Matthews or bust.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Why isn't anyone talking about the possibility of a team trading up? I would not be surprised if the Falcons trade up to beat someone else to Clowney.

Same as ever. Teddy, Carr, Bortles...or bust.

Tedddy/Clowney/Barr. If we pick where were slotted now, were guaranteed one of those 3.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Screw it, I want Clowney. Dude knows his value and it has gotten to his head this year but I don't think he will be a lazy bum in the NFL. We've been needing an absolute monster on the defensive line for to many years now and I'm sure they will find another QB.
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Screw it, I want Clowney. Dude knows his value and it has gotten to his head this year but I don't think he will be a lazy bum in the NFL. We've been needing an absolute monster on the defensive line for to many years now and I'm sure they will find another QB.
It's much easier (and much less important) to find a monster pass rusher than a super bowl caliber franchise QB. 

Quote:Screw it, I want Clowney. Dude knows his value and it has gotten to his head this year but I don't think he will be a lazy bum in the NFL. We've been needing an absolute monster on the defensive line for to many years now and I'm sure they will find another QB.

This whole lazy attitude thing was also said about Mario Williams and Julius pepper..I wouldn't mind if he turned out like either of them Wink

Quote:This whole lazy attitude thing was also said about Mario Williams and Julius pepper..I wouldn't mind if he turned out like either of them Wink
You make a great point. He probably will turn out like them and have a great career just like they have. Unfortunately, without the team he lands on getting a franchise QB he won't win a ring. Just like Peppers and Williams haven't either. 

Quote:You make a great point. He probably will turn out like them and have a great career just like they have. Unfortunately, without the team he lands on getting a franchise QB he won't win a ring. Just like Peppers and Williams haven't either. 

And that is the conundrum facing the Texans. Take Clowney and pass on a potential franchise QB. Or take a QB and pass on a potential elite pass rusher. I would not be surprised either way.

Quote:You make a great point. He probably will turn out like them and have a great career just like they have. Unfortunately, without the team he lands on getting a franchise QB he won't win a ring. Just like Peppers and Williams haven't either.

Im not saying because the same was said about those two he will automatically turn out like them, but it seems when there's elite defensive players in their second year..in the off season to the third year there is so much overweighted expectation that when it's not met they're instantly called lazy.

As much as we need a franchise qb and we definitely definitely do, the thought of Gus with this kind of talent available to him makes me kinda drool...the same if not more so for Barr.. This is like the guys second year as a d player? Someone like Gus coaching him could make him an absolute menace.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:As much as we need a franchise qb and we definitely definitely do, the thought of Gus with this kind of talent available to him makes me kinda drool...the same if not more so for Barr.. This is like the guys second year as a d player? Someone like Gus coaching him could make him an absolute menace.
I get where you're coming from, but you're romanticizing the possible impact a monster pass rusher will have. JJ Watt last year in his record breaking all time greatest all around season in defensive line history only had a positive play on 19% (pressures, sacks, deflections, run stops, etc) of his snaps (with a 3.5% sack rate)...and that is an earth shattering amount of productivity. It's extremely unlikely that Clowney or Barr will ever have a season like Watt's. 

So, for all of this drooling you and others will be doing you need to understand that even in our wildest dreams Clowney or Barr will be more or less useless for 80-90% of the snaps...or more even. 

That's why we gotta take Teddy, Carr, or Bortles if we get the chance. The NFL is always about the QB. 

If Blake Bortles declares (he'd be smart to) he has an excellent chance of going ahead of both Carr & Bridgewater.

Quote:I get where you're coming from, but you're romanticizing the possible impact a monster pass rusher will have. JJ Watt last year in his record breaking all time greatest all around season in defensive line history only had a positive play on 19% (pressures, sacks, deflections, run stops, etc) of his snaps (with a 3.5% sack rate)...and that is an earth shattering amount of productivity. It's extremely unlikely that Clowney or Barr will ever have a season like Watt's. 

So, for all of this drooling you and others will be doing you need to understand that even in our wildest dreams Clowney or Barr will be more or less useless for 80-90% of the snaps...or more even. 

That's why we gotta take Teddy, Carr, or Bortles if we get the chance. The NFL is always about the QB. 

But that doesn't mean you have to take one with your first pick. The Niners took Aldon Smith in the first round and Kaepernick in the second. I think that has worked out ok.

Quote:I get where you're coming from, but you're romanticizing the possible impact a monster pass rusher will have. JJ Watt last year in his record breaking all time greatest all around season in defensive line history only had a positive play on 19% (pressures, sacks, deflections, run stops, etc) of his snaps (with a 3.5% sack rate)...and that is an earth shattering amount of productivity. It's extremely unlikely that Clowney or Barr will ever have a season like Watt's.

I completely agree that Pash rusher is a second tier needs behind franchise qb I completely do. But there's a lot more guarantee your getting a top pass rusher than a franchise qb.

Like I said earlier if we get Bridgewater/Clowney/Barr or Carr is be happy with the draft, out of those 4 Carr would be the one I would be least confident in succeeding.

As for Bortles I wouldn't pick him top 10 though I agree he's a good qb, he's a product of over hype, that's just my opinion.

As said by the guy the post above, QB's don't necessarily need to be drafted in the first, I honestly like mccarron in the 2nd. But if Teddy falls to us in the first, id want us to pull the trigger because I think he's the only true 'almost certain' franchise qb of the last couple of years.

Quote: 

I used to have this mindset, but have since changed my stance.  I'm not for taking a QB in the first round just for the sake of taking a QB in the first round.  I'm constantly watching videos of each prospect (at least the ones made available) and I can honestly say the only QB I want in the first round is Teddy Bridgewater.  Guys like Carr, Bortles, and McCarron are capable of being good, but I wouldn't touch them before round two.  If Teddy is gone by our pick, I think we should go with a potential defensive juggernaut like Anthony Barr or Khalil Mack.

I'd rather take Barr/Mack in one, then get a stop-gap QB like McCarron or Bortles in round two (if available) and ride with them until we do land a franchise QB, I have little doubt that McCarron, Bortles, Mettenberger, and maybe even Boyd will be better Pro's than Chad Henne, therefore, we'd be getting better either way.

Johnny Football or Carr.

I love how some of you "gurus" are hopping on the Blake Bortles train like the rest of the writers in America.  You don't mention him till everybody else does.  What a load of crap.  It's so ridiculous to see him on some big boards and going top ten after one measely game. 

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

Quote:My bigboard as of right now

1. Clowney

2. Barr

3. Carr

4a. Bortles

4b.. Teddy

5. Mack
--------

Please tell me all about how you've been watching Blake Bortles this year.  Seems like you and the rest of America found out the same week!  What a coincidence.

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM by FreeAgent01.)

I'd hope for Bridgewater/Clowney/Bortles.  If none are available at our pick, I'd look to trade down.  I don't get the Barr Hype.  In my opinion, I couldn't take Barr top 10.  I actually like Van Noy a lot more than Barr.