Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year

When fat Peter King said the name Peyton Manning at halftime last night, I just shut the TV off. As the writer Gerry Callahan said in the Boston Herald a couple of weeks ago, Manning is the winner of every award that doesn't matter.

Big deal, so he set all kinds of records this year. 

What has he won?

Disclaimer: I live in the Boston area so I may be biased (but...I do think that the DH ruined baseball and that a DH does not belong in the Hall of Fame)...

I give you David Ortiz, DH of the Boston Red Sox:

- hit .300 with 30 HR and 100 RBI

- stepped up after the Boston Marathon and delivered the best line- "This is OUR (...ing) city."

- when the Sox were down and out against the Tigers in the ALCS, he hit a Grand Slam in the 8th to bring them from the brink of defeat. A Grand Slam.

- had arguably the best World Series in history, all things considered, and led them to the Championship over the St. Louis Cardinals.

- in that World Series, he memorably pulled all his teammates together in the dugout and reminded them of the importance of the moment and they went on to rally and win that game and turn the Series around.

- he is in his homeland Dominican Republic right now, hosting his annual golf tournament. All of the proceeds go to help underprivileged kids there and in Boston get health care.

- he is ubiquitous in the Boston area, visiting hospitals, participating in benefits, you name it

- he is the face of the Boston Red Sox franchise and will be for years

Peyton Manning deserves lots of credit for another regular season for the ages and he sells lots of pizzas and Buicks but David Ortiz stood head and shoulders above him this year.

I know SI's SOTY isn't a big deal but I though Ortiz was a lead pipe cinch to get it. In the 3-4 minutes I spent thinking about it, I considered Phil Mickelson, maybe John Harbaugh, or some soccer player I never heard of or a Lindsey Vonn type, someone whose name I knew but not their accomplishments,

I never even thought of Jughead. He deserves it about as much as Eben Britton, IMO.

OMG, Peyton Manning. Why not just pick Goofy Sue, the greyhound who won a record 8 straight races at the Seabrook, NH dog track this summer? At least she won something.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Irrelevant award is irrelevant. You want to talk about Boston player that got robbed, talk about Andre Williams.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

I don't mind the Sportsman of the Year but they've become too QB-centric with the award. It started when Favre won in 2007 for frankly just being Brett Favre. In previous years it was because of winning a championship or breaking a record. I think Nick Saban and Jimmie Johnson would have been better candidiates. But they wouldn't sell magazines the way a Manning cover would. Just like when Favre won over Roger Federer in 2007.

;

;

Quote:When fat Peter King said the name Peyton Manning at halftime last night, I just shut the TV off. As the writer Gerry Callahan said in the Boston Herald a couple of weeks ago, Manning is the winner of every award that doesn't matter.

Big deal, so he set all kinds of records this year. 

What has he won?

Disclaimer: I live in the Boston area so I may be biased (but...I do think that the DH ruined baseball and that a DH does not belong in the Hall of Fame)...

I give you David Ortiz, DH of the Boston Red Sox:

- hit .300 with 30 HR and 100 RBI

- stepped up after the Boston Marathon and delivered the best line- "This is OUR (...ing) city."

- when the Sox were down and out against the Tigers in the ALCS, he hit a Grand Slam in the 8th to bring them from the brink of defeat. A Grand Slam.

- had arguably the best World Series in history, all things considered, and led them to the Championship over the St. Louis Cardinals.

- in that World Series, he memorably pulled all his teammates together in the dugout and reminded them of the importance of the moment and they went on to rally and win that game and turn the Series around.

- he is in his homeland Dominican Republic right now, hosting his annual golf tournament. All of the proceeds go to help underprivileged kids there and in Boston get health care.

- he is ubiquitous in the Boston area, visiting hospitals, participating in benefits, you name it

- he is the face of the Boston Red Sox franchise and will be for years

Peyton Manning deserves lots of credit for another regular season for the ages and he sells lots of pizzas and Buicks but David Ortiz stood head and shoulders above him this year.

I know SI's SOTY isn't a big deal but I though Ortiz was a lead pipe cinch to get it. In the 3-4 minutes I spent thinking about it, I considered Phil Mickelson, maybe John Harbaugh, or some soccer player I never heard of or a Lindsey Vonn type, someone whose name I knew but not their accomplishments,

I never even thought of Jughead. He deserves it about as much as Eben Britton, IMO.

OMG, Peyton Manning. Why not just pick Goofy Sue, the greyhound who won a record 8 straight races at the Seabrook, NH dog track this summer? At least she won something.

Is that the Ortiz with the PEDs or without?

Why in the world does this matter to you?

And it's Sportsman of the Year, not Athlete of the Year. Why are you talking so much about winning?

You are one reason many feel that Boston fans come across as entitled and provincial.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013, 01:47 PM by Adam2012.)

Quote:I don't mind the Sportsman of the Year but they've become too QB-centric with the award. It started when Favre won in 2007 for frankly just being Brett Favre. In previous years it was because of winning a championship or breaking a record. I think Nick Saban and Jimmie Johnson would have been better candidiates. But they wouldn't sell magazines the way a Manning cover would. Just like when Favre won over Roger Federer in 2007.

Nick Saban? Sportsman of the year? C'mon!

I thought Jimmy Johnson would have been a nice outside the norm selection.

I agree with you re Federer over Favre.

I really don't think they worry about which winner will sell more magazines. I don't think people will be rushing to the newsstands because Manning is on the cover. Now, if it was Kate Upton ...

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bump ... before this falls off the 1st page.

I dare they. :o

He can't be allowed a thing like the thing they gave Tom. The Travesty of it all. :angry: