Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:They don't? Oh. Awkward.

Well, regardless, I think everyone wants a Von Miller - esque rush LB these days.

No worries, I always enjoy your takes. If they ended up drafting Barr, they would have a LB corps of WLB - Ogletree, MLB - Laurinaitus, SLB - Barr. That would be a really really tough front 7.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Unless I'm blind I didn't see Dennard on there and I would be shocked if he isn't a first rounder. He is easily my #1 CB right now and is quickly becoming my favorite non QB in the draft period, actually. Most ferocious press corner I have ever seen in college. Just abuses his man at the line it's so great to watch. I would take him top 10 no problem.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 07:59 AM by Jinjo.)

Quote:Unless I'm blind I didn't see Dennard on there and I would be shocked if he isn't a first rounder. He is easily my #1 CB right now and is quickly becoming my favorite non QB in the draft period, actually. Most ferocious press corner I have ever seen in college. Just abuses his man at the line it's so great to watch. I would take him top 10 no problem.
I doubt Caldwell takes a CB in the first 3 rounds. If we re-sign blackmon we have 3 very solid ones, so he would most likely prioritize other positions.

The first round pick will be either QB/LEO/DT I think. Not sure if he wants to pick a non pass rushing LB that high, and the secondary is set. If they are giving up on Blackmon maybe a WR Is a possibility.

Quote:I doubt Caldwell takes a CB in the first 3 rounds. If we re-sign blackmon we have 3 very solid ones, so he would most likely prioritize other positions.

The first round pick will be either QB/LEO/DT I think. Not sure if he wants to pick a non pass rushing LB that high, and the secondary is set. If they are giving up on Blackmon maybe a WR Is a possibility.
Yeah I didn't really mean for the Jags to take him, just saying someone could/should. He fits the Seahawks/Jags mold to a T, but that scheme also prides itself on being able to find the bigger, press, not so blazing fast types of CBs that slip through the cracks later in the draft so who knows. It's actually going to be an interesting scenario to see how his stock goes because of that. I hope he goes top half of the first round though he deserves it.

Quote:Unless I'm blind I didn't see Dennard on there and I would be shocked if he isn't a first rounder. He is easily my #1 CB right now and is quickly becoming my favorite non QB in the draft period, actually. Most ferocious press corner I have ever seen in college. Just abuses his man at the line it's so great to watch. I would take him top 10 no problem.

He has a tendency to be too physical though, which is a concern for most of the physical corners in CFB when they face bigger/stronger/faster guys in the NFL. He's still a top CB though given his potential.

I am going ahead and just gonna post my top 10. Here is my 1.0

1. Texans - Teddy Bridgewater QB

2. Rams - Jadeveon Clowney DE

3. Falcons - Anthony Barr OLB

4. Vikings - Derek Carr QB

5. Bills - Jake Matthews OT

6. Raiders -  Johnny Manziel QB

7. Buccs - Cameron Erving OT

8. Jaguars - Blake Bortles QB

9. Browns - A.J. McCaron QB (They get nervous) 

10. Titans - Sammy Watkins WR  

I think that the rams will try and trade down outta that spot, But also maybe consider Barr going to the Texans since brian cushings is coming off another ACL and their LB haven't been the greatest in recent years. He'd fill a need and is possibly the best player in the draft. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Kodiak, if you dont mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about the qbs in this draft.

Who is your favorite QB in this class? why?

Who do you feel is the best QB in this draft for the Jags? why?

Who is your favorite QB to watch? Why?

Who do you think will be the best QB from this draft in 5 years? Why?

I know some of these might seem silly but just because Carr might be your favorite QB doesn't mean Teddy isn't the best fit for the Jags while Manziel is your favorite to watch. Thanks for the work you do to keep the ignorant folk (such as myself) informed of opinions.

"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM by Kodiak.)

Quote:Kodiak, if you dont mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about the qbs in this draft.

Who is your favorite QB in this class? why?

Who do you feel is the best QB in this draft for the Jags? why?

Who is your favorite QB to watch? Why?

Who do you think will be the best QB from this draft in 5 years? Why?

I know some of these might seem silly but just because Carr might be your favorite QB doesn't mean Teddy isn't the best fit for the Jags while Manziel is your favorite to watch. Thanks for the work you do to keep the ignorant folk (such as myself) informed of opinions.

Good questions. I'm gonna keep it to the guys that I've watched, and assume everyone draft-eligible declares.

Favorite QB: My personal favorite is Bridgewater, with Carr as a close second. Maybe it's a result of watching years of terrible pocket presence and dump-offs, but Teddy's pocket movement and mental game really appeal to me. I like Carr's deep ball (especially his corner route, it's to die for) and leadership abilities. But yeah, as of now the favorite is Teddy because he has a very high floor.

Best QB for the Jags: The number one choice, and I'm basing this just off of Jedd's playcalling of late, would be Carr (tossup between Manziel and Teddy for second place). This is because the offense that he's currently in focuses on routes in all distances, maintains a high tempo, and relies on the QB to do a lot of the assignments. The risk is that his pocket presence is a lot worse than we think it is (will find out for sure in his bowl and in Mobile) and he won't be effective behind our line. My 2nd choice of Manziel is because we run a lot of naked boots, and Manziel's athleticism would be good for those and just to avoid a struggling pocket. Picked Teddy because he has a great mental game.

Favorite QB to watch: Manziel, and it's not close. He plays with this swagger and extreme competitiveness about him, which is something I actually think could attract Gus to him. He plays the game naturally. He runs around in circles behind the pocket and just throws it up. He puts up 100s of yards and multiple touchdowns each game against the best competition in College Football. And he does it with terrible form. He's so much fun to watch.

Best in 5 Years: Hmm this is a tough one. There are a few different routes to go with this:
  • Teddy has the highest floor in the class, I just don't know if his lack of elite physical tools will keep him from progressing. His arm strength is probably weaker than everyone I've scouted except for Bortles. Teddy makes up for it with his touch, though. I think his floor is Alex Smith - type game manager, his ceiling is Matt Ryan.
  • Carr has the best physical tools in the class, as well as solid maturity and leadership ability. He has a very strong arm and is generally quite accurate. He runs around a 4.56, I believe. The only question with him is level of competition and the pocket presence. I think if he overcomes those he might be the best in the class. I think his floor is Christian Ponder, and his ceiling is a stronger-armed, weaker-minded Brady.
  • Bortles... Ugh honestly, (and I've only seen one game of his) I don't like Bortles. He seems like a solid starter, but not a game-changer, like the rest of these guys. Floor is Jake Locker. Ceiling is a VERY poor man's Luck
  • Manziel is where it gets interesting. He has a playmaking quality about him that none of the rest do. He has probably the second strongest arm in the class, with the third-best accuracy. He's obviously athletic. He just gives everything he has to the game. The only question is whether his style of play will translate. It's what makes him special, but it could also be what ends his career. He's so boom-or-bust it's crazy. I think he's either out of the league in 5 years, or in the new top tier of QBs such as Luck and Wilson. His floor is... I don't know, someone with poor technique who tries too hard. But his ceiling? ... I'm thinking a Wilson-Farve hybrid with a little Warren Moon thrown in. There's really no other way with him, he'll be a star or he will be on the street.

So, after reading what I just wrote, I think the best of the class in 5 years, with proper development, will be Carr. BUT if Manziel can be coached and if his style translates, it's him, no question.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013, 10:19 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I am going ahead and just gonna post my top 10. Here is my 1.0

1. Texans - Teddy Bridgewater QB

2. Rams - Jadeveon Clowney DE

3. Falcons - Anthony Barr OLB

4. Vikings - Derek Carr QB

5. Bills - Jake Matthews OT

6. Raiders -  Johnny Manziel QB

7. Buccs - Cameron Erving OT

8. Jaguars - Blake Bortles QB

9. Browns - A.J. McCaron QB (They get nervous) 

10. Titans - Sammy Watkins WR  

You have us taking Blake Bortles in the top 10 and then have the gall to remark "they" get nervous for another team taking McCarron at 9?  :blink:  :ermm: I guarantee you that if we take Bortles that high, a LOT of NFL media types will be crooning that we got nervous and reached if we take Bortles that high. 

Now if we trade down, accumulate picks, and get Bortles later, then fine. 

Quote:You have us taking Blake Bortles in the top 10 and then having the gall to remark "they" get nervous for another team taking McCarron at 9? :blink: :ermm: I guarantee you that if we take Bortles that high, a LOT of NFL media types will be crooning that we got nervous and reached if we take Bortles that high.

This. Bortles isn't a top ten pick. Im not sure I would take him in round one.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:This. Bortles isn't a top ten pick. Im not sure I would take him in round one.

He is easily better, from what I've watched (2-3 games last year and 5-6 this year), than Gabbert, Weeden, Ponder, Tebow, Campbell, Losman, Boller, Grossman, and Ramsey. He'll go first round, almost guaranteed top 20, and probably top 10 in my opinion. QBs with his size and traits don't last long, and there are just as many if not more QB needy teams at the top as ever.

Before even opening this, I knew you would have Derek Carr going to the Jags whether they were picking 1st or 32nd.

Quote:Kodiak, thanks for your efforts in putting together the Mock Draft and comments.

In terms of current or past NFL LB's, who do you think C.J. Mosley reminds you of?
I know i'm late on responding to this, but Mosley reminds me alot of Daryl Smith. A "do it all" LB who isn't the best at anything but very good to great at almost everything.

Quote:You have us taking Blake Bortles in the top 10 and then have the gall to remark "they" get nervous for another team taking McCarron at 9?  :blink:  :ermm: I guarantee you that if we take Bortles that high, a LOT of NFL media types will be crooning that we got nervous and reached if we take Bortles that high. 

Quote:This. Bortles isn't a top ten pick. Im not sure I would take him in round one.

Ok fair enough, I concede you two are right. 

I am just worried about the QB situation. It is more than likely that Carr and Bridgewater will be gone. Cleveland has two picks in the first round and not to mention if the top 7 teams do not select a QB with their 1st round selection they probably will be selecting QB's with their early 2nd round selections. This leaves the Jags in a tough spot: do they jump on a guy early? or do they just take a chance and wait till their 2nd round pick to select a QB?

Quote:Ok fair enough, I concede you two are right. 

I am just worried about the QB situation. It is more than likely that Carr and Bridgewater will be gone. Cleveland has two picks in the first round and not to mention if the top 7 teams do not select a QB with their 1st round selection they probably will be selecting QB's with their early 2nd round selections. This leaves the Jags in a tough spot: do they jump on a guy early? or do they just take a chance and wait till their 2nd round pick to select a QB?
if the NFL and ESPN draft analysts are actually on the money this year, bortles will go in the first round. Like KYjaggy said, most qbs that actually have those traits don't last long in the draft and if he has a strong bowl showing and a good pro day/combine (given he actually goes out) then it'll be hard to have him not in the first. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

I'm not promoting this - nor saying it's a sure thing - but I just have this weird gut feeling that the Jags will pick 5th or 6th and take Manziel.  

( I think I'd be into trading down for Bortles instead - depending on him coming out and how far his stock rises)

Quote:I know i'm late on responding to this, but Mosley reminds me alot of Daryl Smith. A "do it all" LB who isn't the best at anything but very good to great at almost everything.

Here's the question I would ask you based on what you expressed.  If you knew that C.J. Mosley would have exactly the same career Daryl Smith has had from an individual performance standpoint,  at what spot of a typical draft would you select Mosley?

Quote:Here's the question I would ask you based on what you expressed.  If you knew that C.J. Mosley would have exactly the same career Daryl Smith has had from an individual performance standpoint,  at what spot of a typical draft would you select Mosley?

I think I'd start at pick 11.

Quote:I think I'd start at pick 11.

That's higher than I expected the response to be. I was thinking somewhere from pick # 20 to pick # 35.   Yet, I respect where you are coming from being that Daryl Smith has been a very good all around LB for a decade,  with good intangibles.