Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Koyak and Sterling

Quote:When factoring in the contract and J. Thomas' overall play,  he probably will have to restructure his contract downward to have a chance at being back with the Jaguars next season.'

Being injured a couple times certainly does not help him. He was fine when healthy IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:They are vastly different type of TEs.  

I never thought about that. Both are on the field to catch passes, not run block.

Quote:Being injured a couple times certainly does not help him. He was fine when healthy IMO.

Do you think that Julius Thomas,  even as a receiver,  has been close to the player he was with the Broncos?

Sterling is a faster Thomas.

Quote:I never thought about that. Both are on the field to catch passes, not run block.

Marcedes Lewis' primary value is his blocking skills and intangibles.   You can find many TEs on the street that are better receiving options.

Quote:Sterling is a faster Thomas.

And a LOT cheaper. 

Quote:Can anyone explain to me why this Ellis guy keeps starting over both of them?

If we didn't put certain players like Ellis in specifically to block, how would the other team know what we're doing.

Quote:Marcedes Lewis' primary value is his blocking skills and intangibles. You can find many TEs on the street that are better receiving options.

We have better receiving options now with Sterling and Koyack. They will never be like New England's pairing, but are definitely an upgrade for the Jaguars. Unfortunately they are two of five Jaguars who sprained their ankles yesterday.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2016, 03:51 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:If we didn't put certain players like Ellis in specifically to block, how would the other team know what we're doing.

I don't think most teams know too much about Ellis anyway.

Quote:We have better receiving options now with Sterling and Koyack. They will never be like New England's pairing, but are definitely an upgrade for the Jaguars. Unfortunately they are two of five Jaguars who sprained their ankles yesterday.

Both should have opportunities with the Jaguars in the spring and likely the summer to display if they are worth moving forward with.   With a new coaching staff very likely and possibly a new GM,  many players on the Jaguars roster won't be back.  These two players have bargain basement type of contracts,  hence it's worth giving them opportunities on the team's 90 man roster. 

Quote:Why is your avatar a Raiders logo?
I'm being like you which is being a fan of multiple teams. I'm fan of the Raiders because they are good now and I can get excited about football.

Quote:I'm being like you which is being a fan of multiple teams. I'm fan of the Raiders because they are good now and I can get excited about football.

The Jaguars sucking does not make me any less excited about football. I never jumped on any team's bandwagon because the Jaguars suck.

Of course the Raiders do have a former Jaguars coach now . . .

They've both been impressive considering where they were drafted and how they entered this team. Sterling has been transitioning over from receiver and Koyack has had to work on his blocking. At this point I am fine with next year's coaching staff cutting Julius Thomas, keeping Lewis, Koyack & Sterling and bringing back a full back onto the roster to help in run blocking. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Both should have opportunities with the Jaguars in the spring and likely the summer to display if they are worth moving forward with. With a new coaching staff very likely and possibly a new GM, many players on the Jaguars roster won't be back. These two players have bargain basement type of contracts, hence it's worth giving them opportunities on the team's 90 man roster. 

The new GM, if we get one, would be smart to sign them to "prove it" contracts. One reason I like Caldwell is he does that for middle-of-the-pack players before signing them to big contracts, unlike the idiot Gene Smith.

Thomas is getting paid like he's Gronk or Jordan Reed.

See ya bro.

Quote:Being injured a couple times certainly does not help him. He was fine when healthy IMO.

Really? He's made some good red zone catches, but he can't block, has no afterburners and doesn't fight for yards. It's difficult to watch such a big guy shuffling off the field rather than running over the opponent.

Quote:  Do you think that Julius Thomas,  even as a receiver,  has been close to the player he was with the Broncos?

No. But in fairness, he was catching passes from Peyton Manning instead of Bortles.

Quote:No. But in fairness, he was catching passes from Peyton Manning instead of Bortles.

Related to what you mentioned,  which is a valid point:  

Now that Julius Thomas has been paid substantially and injuries are piling up,  it's very possible that even if Thomas ends up with a much better QB and overall situation than the 2016 Jaguars,  his best NFL days are in the rear view mirror.

Quote:The new GM, if we get one, would be smart to sign them to "prove it" contracts. One reason I like Caldwell is he does that for middle-of-the-pack players before signing them to big contracts, unlike the idiot Gene Smith.

It's a good strategy when applicable.   If you want to sign a FA in high demand,   he's going to very likely expect more than a ' prove it'  contract. 

Cut Thomas. Bring back Lewis on a cheap deal if he still wants to play. He should retire a Jag and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the Ring of Honor one day.