Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Playoff races

Quote:It would be a miracle if all of that happened. I am very surprised we have not been mathematically eliminated yet with only four wins and three games left to play. The Seahawks got in the playoffs with a losing record by winning their division and would have been eliminated otherwise when it happened. If a 7-9 team ever got in as a wild card, people would call for changes to playoff tiebreakers.

I think in two more years, we will be ready for another playoff run. Until then, I am just enjoying whatever wins we can get and hoping the Broncos dominate the AFC playoffs.

It's not entirely farfetched though. I won't be holding my breath of course, but it is certainly interesting. Also, if we get it in as a 7-9 team that means that there were only 5 teams with records better than 7-9, changing the tiebreakers would do nothing but change which 7-9 team got into the playoffs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

All I hear is Jim Mora.  Still, got my fingers crossed.  

If this team finds a starting QB, and a younger RB, and a center that's not from the Tom Coughlin era of the Jaguars, this team could be in playoff contention next year.  Also a pass rusher.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:All I hear is Jim Mora.  Still, got my fingers crossed.  

To be fair, it's fun for it to even be a mathematical possibility. Anybody that expects the Jags to make it to the playoffs is insane.

Quote:If this team finds a starting QB, and a younger RB, and a center that's not from the Tom Coughlin era of the Jaguars, this team could be in playoff contention next year.  Also a pass rusher.  

Actually we do have a center not from the Tom Coughlin era, but he plays left guard. Mike Brewster was a center most of his career at Ohio State and probably will be Brad Meester's replacement the day Meester retires.

The Broncos and Colts clinched playoff berths with their most recent wins.

Quote:The Broncos and Colts clinched playoff berths with their most recent wins.

Colts didnt win this week. They clinched the south on the Titans loss to Denver. Indy could lose out and go 8-8 on the season and be a 4 seed lock. AFC south so bad this year.

Quote:Colts didnt win this week. They clinched the south on the Titans loss to Denver. Indy could lose out and go 8-8 on the season and be a 4 seed lock. AFC south so bad this year.

They lost because Jeff Triplette was the referee. He gave the Bengals a gift touchdown.

Yeah, the AFCS sucks this year. It is like the West divisions we played against used to be.

Quote:They lost because Jeff Triplette was the referee. He gave the Bengals a gift touchdown.

Yeah, the AFCS sucks this year. It is like the West divisions we played against used to be.
The Colts lost because their defense played like [BLEEP]. Even with the gift touchdown, they lost scoring 28 in the second half with Luck having a career day and Da'Rick Rogers having a coming out party against a top tier defense in Cincinnati on the road. That shouldnt happen.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM by jagherd.)

Quote:They lost because Jeff Triplette was the referee. He gave the Bengals a gift touchdown.
Yes, that was another terrible call by Triplette. But, that is not the reason the Bengals won.

The Bengals played fantastic. The Colts defense could hardly stop the Bengals all day. I was there.

Side note: Bengals have not lost a home game yet this year (6-0). They have 2 home games left.

The Patriots winning from questionable calls keeps them in #2 seed right now. The Bengals got screwed in that regard. They have beaten the Pats, and would've moved into the #2 seed yesterday.

Quote:Yes, that was another terrible call by Triplette. But, that is not the reason the Bengals won.

The Bengals played fantastic. The Colts defense could hardly stop the Bengals all day. I was there.

Side note: Bengals have not lost a home game yet this year (6-0). They have 2 home games left.

The Patriots winning from questionable calls keeps them in #2 seed right now. The Bengals got screwed in that regard. They have beaten the Pats, and would've moved into the #2 seed yesterday.

You know the Patriots lost a game because of a bad call too, right?

I don't understand how a team can have 10 wins and not clinch a playoff spot yet. It is very rare for a 10-win team to miss the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 02:30 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Out of the playoff race:

Atlanta Falcons

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Washington Redskins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Minnesota Vikings

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Houston Texans

St. Louis Rams

New York Giants

Can be eliminated this week:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Jacksonville Jaguars with a loss or tie OR Miami win OR NYJ win OR Baltimore win

Oakland Raiders with a loss or tie OR Miami win OR NYJ win OR Baltimore win

Cleveland Browns with a loss or tie OR Miami win OR NYJ win OR Baltimore win

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Buffalo Bills with a loss or tie OR Miami win OR NYJ win OR Baltimore win

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Teams who's playoff hopes are on life support:

New York Jets

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">San Diego Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers 

Tennessee Titans

Arizona Cardinals

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Teams who's playoff hopes are endangered:

Green Bay Packers (can be eliminated this week, but their playoff chances are still above 10%)

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Chicago Bears (can be eliminated this week, but their playoff chances are still above 10%)

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Teams in the hunt

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Philadelphia Eagles

Baltimore Ravens

Miami Dolphins

Dallas Cowboys

Detroit Lions

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Teams in good position:

None

Teams in Great position: 

None

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Teams in excellent  position:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">New England Patriots

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Kansas City Chiefs

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">New Orleans Saints

Cincinnati Bengals

Carolina Panthers

San Francisco 49ers

Teams Already in:

Indianapolis Colts

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Denver Broncos

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Seattle Seahawks

Doctor, did you write that before the MNF game ended? The Bears are now 7-6 with that win. However, they were swept by the Lions, so they need to win out and hope Detroit loses at least once.

Now the Cowboys are a game behind the Eagles in the NFCE. Their game at Philadelphia in three weeks probably will be "win you're in, lose you're out."

Because it was a matchup of two NFC teams, Mike Tirico did not talk about the AFC playoff picture.

No, I wrote it after the MNF game.

Chicago remains endangered.  Currently at a 21% chance of making the playoffs.  

Because Dallas beat Philadelphia once this year, they still have a 40% chance of making the playoffs.  While Philadelphia moves a game ahead of the Cowboys, but still only has a 62% chance of making the playoffs.  A win and a cowboys loss next week would put them in great position.

Quote:No, I wrote it after the MNF game.

Chicago remains endangered.  Currently at a 21% chance of making the playoffs.  

Because Dallas beat Philadelphia once this year, they still have a 40% chance of making the playoffs.  While Philadelphia moves a game ahead of the Cowboys, but still only has a 62% chance of making the playoffs.  A win and a cowboys loss next week would put them in great position.

Where are you getting the percentages from?

If anybody is interested, I will post the schedules for all "in the hunt" teams that are not on life support.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 02:48 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

I get percentages from sportsclubstats, which calculates every possible scenario, and determines how many of those scenarios the teams make the playoffs

Clinch Scenarios: (at least the ones I'm aware of)

Already Secured:

Indianapolis Colts

Seattle Seahawks

Denver Broncos

New England Patriots can clinch with:

Win

OR

Baltimore Loss

Cincinnati Bengals can clinch with:

WIN

AND

Baltimore Loss

OR

Miami Loss

Kansas City Chiefs can clinch with:

WIN

OR

Baltimore Loss

OR

Miami Loss

New Orleans Saints can clinch with:

WIN

San Francisco 49ers can clinch with:

WIN

AND

Loss by Philadelphia, and Arizona

OR

Loss by Dallas and Arizona

Of note at the end of next week it could be potentially 13 teams fighting for the last 4 playoff spots.  Of which one MUST be Philadelphia or Dallas.  And One MUST be Detroit, Green Bay or Chicago.  Meaning 8 teams fighting for 2 wild card spots.  Six of which are fighting for one single spot.

AFC Wildcard Spot #2: (6 teams)

Dolphins/Chargers/Ravens/Steelers/Titans/Jets

NFC Wildcard Spot #2: (5 teams)

Cardinals/Panthers/ Loser of Philadelphia vs Dallas / 2 losers of GB/Det/Chi

Uh, how does anyone expect both Green Bay and Dallas to lose? LOL

Fixed.  Just needs a loss by Dallas and Arizona or Philadelphia and Arizona.  

Quote:Fixed.  Just needs a loss by Dallas and Arizona or Philadelphia and Arizona.  

The chances of Dallas somehow losing depend on some Green Bay players getting clearance.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 08:53 AM by jagherd.)

Quote:You know the Patriots lost a game because of a bad call too, right?

I don't understand how a team can have 10 wins and not clinch a playoff spot yet. It is very rare for a 10-win team to miss the playoffs.
Yes, I know the Pats lost to the Panthers on a terrible call. But, they also had a terrible call go against the Saints when the Pats pulled that one out.

A lot of calls have been in play for the Pats this year that had great determination in the outcome of their games.

The Bengals yesterday got the benefit of Triplette screwing up again. But, that had almost no bearing on the game. The Bengals almost steamrolled the Colts. The Colts scored a garbage TD to make the final score look even remotely close. The Bengals have been on the short end of the stick from Refs bad calls for years. About time they got one in their favor.

With 10 win teams not clinching: as long as a few teams are hanging just a couple games back, its still possible for playoff teams to be jumped around. Heck, the Bengals are still in danger of not winning their division and not even making the playoffs (very unlikely, but still possible).

P.s- I hate the Ravens. I wish they'd just LOSE another game already!