Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
To all you tankers...

I still find this thread quite entertaining given the Jags recent much improved play and our 2-1 record since the bye. Maybe someone forgot to tell the Jags that they are messing up the master plan of the tankers to have Teddy lead us to the promised land.

As far as Clowney goes, I am South Carolina fan and have seen him play in person in a number of games. He certainly passes the eye test and I think his potential at this point is huge. You really can't appreciate how big and fast he is until you see him on the field in person...it's pretty impressive. He is only 20 years old and will absolutely benefit from NFL caliber coaching versus what he is getting now at USC. He has had his share of struggles this season, but I think it will only help him in the future because all of the pressure of being the #1 pick in the draft will be gone come draft time if the current need for QBs continue at the top of the draft. Regardless of where he gets drafted, I think whomever drafts him will be getting a heck of a football player.

Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:2010, squeaky clean Alu Alu at 10 while character issue laden JPP sat there. Yeah that really worked out.

I don't know of any character issues for JPP in 2010.   The problem with picking him was his lack of football experience as I recall. 

Quote:So "intentionally losing is cheating and you should lose all your picks" unless you have locked up a playoff spot and are throwing a game to manipulate playoff seeding. That's a pretty water tight position you have there.
Except they aren't intentionally losing, they are resting their star players. They would be ecstatic if their young players went out their and won the game, not crying over a potential drop in draft pick.

Quote:Except they aren't intentionally losing, they are resting their star players. They would be ecstatic if their young players went out their and won the game, not crying over a potential drop in draft pick.

The Jaguars did that in 2005. They trotted out Quinn Gray and Labrandon Toefield and absolutely embarassed the Titans.

Quote:So "intentionally losing is cheating and you should lose all your picks" unless you have locked up a playoff spot and are throwing a game to manipulate playoff seeding. That's a pretty water tight position you have there.

To be fair:

I think most (I said MOST) times teams rest their starters is because they've already locked up a playoff spot and seed.

I've seen many times that teams play their starters when seeding determination is still up for grabs,, even though they have already locked up a playoff spot (and even a first round bye is locked).

I can only think of 1 instance that a team has actually rested starters to manipulate seeding,,, and I'm still not 100% convinced that was the reason they did it.

Quote:I still find this thread quite entertaining given the Jags recent much improved play and our 2-1 record since the bye. Maybe someone forgot to tell the Jags that they are messing up the master plan of the tankers to have Teddy lead us to the promised land.

As far as Clowney goes, I am South Carolina fan and have seen him play in person in a number of games. He certainly passes the eye test and I think his potential at this point is huge. You really can't appreciate how big and fast he is until you see him on the field in person...it's pretty impressive. He is only 20 years old and will absolutely benefit from NFL caliber coaching versus what he is getting now at USC. He has had his share of struggles this season, but I think it will only help him in the future because all of the pressure of being the #1 pick in the draft will be gone come draft time if the current need for QBs continue at the top of the draft. Regardless of where he gets drafted, I think whomever drafts him will be getting a heck of a football player.

The only thing that could derail Clowney from being an impact NFL DE is injury. I don't even think the taking plays off stigma will do it because if healthy, he'll make enough big plays to counter it. 

....that said, when a team needs both a DE and a QB, you always take the franchise QB first. 

Quote:I still find this thread quite entertaining given the Jags recent much improved play and our 2-1 record since the bye. Maybe someone forgot to tell the Jags that they are messing up the master plan of the tankers to have Teddy lead us to the promised land.

I'm jealous of you, that's all.

My mecca is South Carolina, would kill to relocate up there......

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I'm jealous of you, that's all.

My mecca is South Carolina, would kill to relocate up there......

What part would you choose if you could? I always thought that SC was a very clean state as I passed through on my way to Florida. 

Quote: 

This whole tanking thing is a self defeating scenario that requires you to throw away any gains or development on your NFL roster for a player who is still an unknown quantity in the NFL.

What known quantities do we have on this roster?!?

We know we have a roster that has a combined 4 wins in the last 25 games and 9 in the last 43.

We know we have an OL that can't run block at all, and pass blocks only marginally better.

We know that we have a defense that can't stop anybody (except Houston this last game).

What exactly are we sacrificing here?

The young guys showing promise now (Cyprien, Gratz, Evans, now Branch) aren't likely to be jettisoned under any scenario.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:To be fair:

I think most (I said MOST) times teams rest their starters is because they've already locked up a playoff spot and seed.

I've seen many times that teams play their starters when seeding determination is still up for grabs,, even though they have already locked up a playoff spot (and even a first round bye is locked).

I can only think of 1 instance that a team has actually rested starters to manipulate seeding,,, and I'm still not 100% convinced that was the reason they did it.
I guess because at one point in history the stars aligned that left the potential for a team to benefit from losing one game it suddenly advocates cheating.

Quote: 

....that said, when a team needs both a DE and a QB, you always take the franchise QB first. 
To bad there isn't a clear cut franchise guy there this year. Many intriguing possibilities? Yes. But none with the Cant miss qualification.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Except they aren't intentionally losing, they are resting their star players. They would be ecstatic if their young players went out their and won the game, not crying over a potential drop in draft pick.

That's adorable. 

Quote:I guess because at one point in history the stars aligned that left the potential for a team to benefit from losing one game it suddenly advocates cheating.

I guess you'll be saying "because at 2 points....." next year at this time....and no its not cheating. 

Quote:To bad there isn't a clear cut franchise guy there this year. Many intriguing possibilities? Yes. But none with the Cant miss qualification.

Disagree. 

Quote:1. Winning 5 out of 6 games in your division would be...I dunno.... a pretty good sign you can win games in your division.

2. What does drug use have to do with an NFL team cheating? This isn't a morality issue, it is an integrity issue. Don't confuse the two. Poor morality gives you a bad reputation, poor integrity gets you fired.

I don't have to know you to know that you advocate cheating, therefore it is pretty easy infer that you lack integrity.

There is an old saying, "There ain't nothing worse than a liar or a thief". Actually there is. It's a cheater because he is both.

1.  Winning that last game in 2011 was a sign the team "COULD" win games in the division.  However, the overall lack of talent on the roster-including at the QB spot-made it a lot less likely. 

2.  So you seriously assert there is absolutely no overlap between morality and integrity?

Let me help you...

http://thesaurus.com/browse/morality

Having dispensed with your filibuster, can you now answer the question you worked so hard to avoid?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:The only thing that could derail Clowney from being an impact NFL DE is injury. I don't even think the taking plays off stigma will do it because if healthy, he'll make enough big plays to counter it. 

Agree on both sentiments and I sincerely hope the Jags can find their franchise QB soon. I guess I'm not enamored enough by Bridgewater or Mariota at this point to declare either one of them our savior. Its wayyyy too early to really be talking about draft positions anyways, so its really just hypothetical at this point.

Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

Quote:I guess because at one point in history the stars aligned that left the potential for a team to benefit from losing one game it suddenly advocates cheating.

Lol.

In no way, am I advocating cheating/ manipulation. I was just trying to point out that teams normally do not rest their starters to manipulate seeding. He is wrong.

Teams will play their starters when seeding us on the line.

I've officially seen the light.  I no longer advocate tanking for draft position.  Effective immediately, I now am only for "resting our starters" for our upcoming playoff run.  I see now, that's how you do it with integrity.  And you know what, it really does feel good. :thumbsup:

Quote:What known quantities do we have on this roster?!?

We know we have a roster that has a combined 4 wins in the last 25 games and 9 in the last 43.

We know we have an OL that can't run block at all, and pass blocks only marginally better.

We know that we have a defense that can't stop anybody (except Houston this last game).

What exactly are we sacrificing here?

The young guys showing promise now (Cyprien, Gratz, Evans, now Branch) aren't likely to be jettisoned under any scenario.
 Playmakers make plays that lead to winning games and the only way to identify these players is by them actually going out on the field and doing it.

The more games this team can win without the QB the better off our prospects become when we do get the QB.

Quote:I've officially seen the light.  I no longer advocate tanking for draft position.  Effective immediately, I now am only for "resting our starters" for our upcoming playoff run.  I see now, that's how you do it with integrity.  And you know what, it really does feel good. :thumbsup:

lololol!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing