Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Important Is A Top Draft Pick?

Quote:Having the #1 pick is more important when theres actually a player the caliber of Luck, Bridgewater, Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman sitting at the top of the draft....

I know the meaninglesswinlovers want to stamp their feet and hold their breath while trying to act like the #1 pick is insignificant for the upcoming year, but people with more than a 30 watter up there, can clearly see how important it is....especially for a team like Jacksonville. 

Comparing the upcoming season's draft to past drafts that didn't have the same caliber of talent is kinda silly. Bridgewater & Clowney are probably the best top 2 draft choice combo in an NFL draft in the last 25 years
You're reallly high on Bridgewater.  The first bolded passage proves that.

The second bolded sentence proves you're really high.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The whole "top draft pick" concept is a bit narrow minded. Just look at Indianapolis with Peyton Manning. Yes, he had a major part in turning that organization around, but he didn't do it all by himself. When he arrived, he already had a First Round Wide Receiver in Marvin Harrison, a top flight Left Tackle in Tarik Glenn, and they added a Top five all time Pass Rusher in Dwight Freeney.

Was Manning key to that? Yes. Was he the only key to that? Not in my opinion.

Is the #1 overall draft pick helpful? Oh yes, absolutely. But if you put all of your eggs in that basket you're probably going to end up being disappointed. It takes a lot of very good football players to make a very good team.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:The whole "top draft pick" concept is a bit narrow minded. Just look at Indianapolis with Peyton Manning. Yes, he had a major part in turning that organization around, but he didn't do it all by himself. When he arrived, he already had a First Round Wide Receiver in Marvin Harrison, a top flight Left Tackle in Tarik Glenn, and they added a Top five all time Pass Rusher in Dwight Freeney.

Was Manning key to that? Yes. Was he the only key to that? Not in my opinion.

Is the #1 overall draft pick helpful? Oh yes, absolutely. But if you put all of your eggs in that basket you're probably going to end up being disappointed. It takes a lot of very good football players to make a very good team.
Teddy #1 pick

First Round WR (hopefully) Blackmon

Top Flight LT (hopefully) Joeckel

Pass Rusher TBD

Teddy will help bring it all together my friend. I love Teddy but heck... even i don't care who is the QB of this team as long as they are really good and help us win. It could be ANYONE but i think Teddy has the best chance of being a franchise guy.

Its all a game of chance, but the chances of having a true starter with a first round pick are greater than a second, third and so on..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Its not "cheering for it". 

During the Titans game from 1-4 pm while the game was actually going on - I could not root for a loss. I was happy they were winning during that momentary lapse of reason.....and its just the way I am wired. I cannot sit there and root for losses this early in the season DURING the actual game. But, for the rest of the week, when I can see the situation from a more cerebral nature, I see that the Jags losing games the rest of this year is actually more likely to be beneficial in the long run than winning a few of them. 
And then procede to call other people stupid and mouth breather's and berating them for not denying how they feel. Class act there buddy

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM by Deacon.)

Quote:Teddy #1 pick

First Round WR (hopefully) Blackmon

Top Flight LT (hopefully) Joeckel

Pass Rusher TBD

Teddy will help bring it all together my friend. I love Teddy but heck... even i don't care who is the QB of this team as long as they are really good and help us win. It could be ANYONE but i think Teddy has the best chance of being a franchise guy.

I agree with you, and so do a lot of other people, but what if we're wrong? What if Bridgewater has tapped out his football abilities and is really nothing more than a pedestrian Quarterback? It can happen. So now with that #1 overall pick, you've used it on a player that you will need to replace, and you're going to have to use another high pick -- typically speaking anyway -- to do that.

I guess my point is that while it is very helpful to have the Top pick, it won't solve all of your problems. Even in your scenario above, you are hoping that Blackmon and Joeckel pan out, and stated that the team needs to find a pass rusher. That's a lot of unknowns and "I sure hope so's" that need to be sorted out. Just one guy ain't going to fix all of that.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I agree with you, and so do a lot of other people, but what if we're wrong? What if Bridgewater has tapped out his football abilities and is really nothing more than a pedestrian Quarterback? It can happen. So now with that #1 overall pick, you've used it on a player that you will need to replace, and you're going to have to use another high pick -- typically speaking anyway -- to do that.

I guess my point is that while it is very helpful to have the Top pick, it won't solve all of your problems. Even in your scenario above, you are hoping that Blackmon and Joeckel pan out, and stated that the team needs to find a pass rusher. That's a lot of unknowns and "I sure hope so's" that need to be sorted out. Just one guy ain't going to fix all of that.
But it all starts with the QB. You HAVE to get that first. Without Manning, Harrison isn't as good, Glenn is a nobody (still kind of is) and Freeney is rushing the passer for a below average football team.

What if we don't get the #1 pick and someone else takes Teddy. He becomes to next elite QB for someone else all because we decided to win a couple more games this year? There are a lot of "what if's" going around but there are a lot less "what if's" with Teddy than there are with any other QB coming out this year. I will take my chances with Teddy to help secure an franchise signal caller than gamble with anyone else.

Quote:I agree with you, and so do a lot of other people, but what if we're wrong? What if Bridgewater has tapped out his football abilities and is really nothing more than a pedestrian Quarterback? It can happen. So now with that #1 overall pick, you've used it on a player that you will need to replace, and you're going to have to use another high pick -- typically speaking anyway -- to do that.

Tim Couch - can't miss.  Once a decade prospect.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM by BasshunterX.)

Bridgewater is now becoming more important due to the fall of mariotta both talent and health wise. The gap between those two and the rest of the field is just huge (not to say the rest are bad) and mariotta is falling behind.

With that said, It all doesn't matter if we have a GM who drafts studs in the first round. Nobody hits on every single late rounder. Its the top 3 rounds that matter and so far so damn good as far as caldwell is concerned.

And clowney is the most overated guy since ryan leaf. There is no "consolation prize" for 2nd pick at this point with mariotta regressing.

It would not surprise me if Bridgewater is an elite QB. With his combination of accuracy, poise and leadership I could see him as a Brees type. On the flip side, it would also no surprise me if he ended up being a Sam Bradford. He also has the same abilities but (like Deacon mentioned as potential for Bridgewater) did not have much room for improvement apparently.

;

;

Quote:You're reallly high on Bridgewater.  The first bolded passage proves that.

The second bolded sentence proves you're really high.

I think most of us like Bridgewater as a prospect. Mad Dog seems to have put all his chips on Bridgewater. I am sure so he can thump his chest and act like he was the only one if he ends up good. Bizarre guy.

;

;

Quote:But it all starts with the QB. You HAVE to get that first. Without Manning, Harrison isn't as good, Glenn is a nobody (still kind of is) and Freeney is rushing the passer for a below average football team.

What if we don't get the #1 pick and someone else takes Teddy. He becomes to next elite QB for someone else all because we decided to win a couple more games this year? There are a lot of "what if's" going around but there are a lot less "what if's" with Teddy than there are with any other QB coming out this year. I will take my chances with Teddy to help secure an franchise signal caller than gamble with anyone else.

We can go round and round with this all day, but another "what if" is if there is a Quarterback whose professional career turns out better than Bridgewater in this draft. I know that I've read lots of posts that criticized Gene Smith for falling in love with his guys and doing whatever it took to get them; isn't that similar to what people are doing with Bridgewater? This team is going to get ten chances to select from a pool of 256 players. They are going to need to make the absolute most out of all ten of those chances in order to sustain a winning team.

The importance of the QB position, especially with the passing-favorable rules, creates a significant competitive advantage for a team with a good-elite QB versus a team with a marginal or worse QB.  As Parcells and others have said, in the NFL, there are teams with a good QB and teams that will do anything to get one.  The Jags, obviously, need one.  If the top few QB prospects are very similarly graded, then having the #1 pick is less important.  However, if there is a quarterback that is graded significantly better than the others, the top pick is important.  Grabbing a QB with a higher grade does translate to a player with a higher probability of NFL success.  Of course, there is no guarantee...but your risk of a bust is less with the higher graded person.     

Having the top pick means you can select the prospect you desire most, without having to trade up and give away picks, or settle for a lesser desired choice.        

Quote:Bridgewater & Clowney are probably the best top 2 draft choice combo in an NFL draft in the last 25 years. 

Clowney??? lol.  Yea, maybe if he changes his name.  Stupid names never work out in the NFL.  We may as well be drafting Bozo the Clown. 

Quote:Clowney??? lol.  Yea, maybe if he changes his name.  Stupid names never work out in the NFL.  We may as well be drafting Bozo the Clown. 
Kaepernick, Freeney, Forte, Brees, Ngata, Kuechley, Grbac, Biakabatuka,Butkus, Gay.... Probably more out there with weird names

Quote:First, your years were off by one.

I adjusted them above.

Secondly, I want you to examine the 2010 draft. 

Of the five players you listed, how many of them are better than Alualu?

How many of those players were available at 10?

Next, look at the 2011 draft.

Of the five players you listed, how many of them are better than Gabbert?

How many of those players were available at 10?

Now, the 2012 draft.  You didn't list the players selected after the trades.  I will list them here.

1.  Andrew Luck-Colts

2.  RG III-Skins

3.  Trent Richardson-Browns

4.  Matt Kalil-Vikings

5.  Justin Blackmon-Jaguars

Of the playes listed above, how many would you prefer to have on this team over Justin Blackmon?

Were any of those players available at 5?

The years above correspond to their records, not the draft.

Quote:Tim Couch - can't miss.  Once a decade prospect.

Aaron Rogers - not talented enough to be a top 10 pick in the draft.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This might have been said and i just missed it, but with pretty much each one of those drafts that you listed, the person drafted in those spots has sured up a position on that team that they no longer need to address though as well. A lot of them are names that you hear now every night making plays so the value of just getting a pick that results in a playmaker like that goes a long way since u no longer have to worry about drafting that position in the next draft thus being able to draft for your entire roster, and not being stuck drafting year after year for, in our example, a DE that can actually play. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:I've said it 100 times, it's about selection not position. Getting the 1st overall pick is great but if you miss on the pick then you're no better off.

You can also say this about any pick number. We had the #10 pick and could have selected Jason Pierre-Paul there, but picked a DT who is not nearly as good as JPP. I have criticized Gene Smith for that one since the first time I saw JPP play.

Quote:It does matter. You want to be able to pick your highest rated player. Whether the GM is able to evaluate talent is a different question.

Let me as you a question: Does that win versus the Titans mean anything in the long run?  Especially for a team with a bunch of guys playing who are fillers and nothing more.  Draft position means a lot more than whatever happens this year.

You just contradicted yourself. When a team botches a pick, it does not matter whether he was the first or the seventh pick. We know that because we picked Harvey and Monroe at #8. One was a bust, the other one of our best players.

That said, you are right that it is good to know you can get the highest-rated player . . . if he is not overrated.

Quote: If we finished 8-0, no one will care about our draft position.

7-1, 6-2, I would gladly accept for a drop in draft pick.Anything more than a 2 game win streak to finish the season, I would gladly swap for draft position.

Oh yes people will care about our draft position. Every year we worry about missing out on certain players who are expected to be top five picks. That is caring about our pick number.

Quote:If you think being 5-11 and having the #7 draft pick is better for this franchise than going 2-14 and having the #1 pick then I can't help you. The only... and I do mean... ONLY... only way to get better is to get a franchise QB. If you don't have one of those, you will never be in contention in today's NFL. The best way to get that franchise QB is to draft him. The best way to draft him is to take him before someone else does. If we end up with #5 or whatever it is because we won a few meaningless games then this season was for not.

Someone once said you need to be either really good or really bad. Being mediocre is the worst place to be.

Nonsense. The only way to improve the quarterback position is get a better quarterback. The only way to improve the outside linebacker position is get a better OLB. Are you that stupid to think improving one position will upgrade all 25 positions?

Whoever said mediocre is worse than really bad does not know what those words mean. It is always better to win 8 games than to win 2 games, period.

Quote:Aaron Rogers - not talented enough to be a top 10 pick in the draft.

The only team that needed a quarterback was San Francisco and they botched the pick.

Quote:This might have been said and i just missed it, but with pretty much each one of those drafts that you listed, the person drafted in those spots has sured up a position on that team that they no longer need to address though as well. A lot of them are names that you hear now every night making plays so the value of just getting a pick that results in a playmaker like that goes a long way since u no longer have to worry about drafting that position in the next draft thus being able to draft for your entire roster, and not being stuck drafting year after year for, in our example, a DE that can actually play. 

Are you suggesting we should draft the BAP regardless of our pick number? Sorry, David Caldwell is a needs-based drafter.