Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who will have the better career?
Mike Thomas
Ace Sanders
[Show Results]

Ace Sanders vs. Mike Thomas

Quote:The draft position was about as stupid as taking a punter in the third round. That doesn't have anything to do with what his problem was, though.

From an athletic standpoint he had sick ability. He caught 65 passes one year here, if I remember correctly, and that was as a guy that just didn't care to do more than the minimum. If he'd have been a guy with a work ethic he could have turned out well. You'd think with all the analysis they do before guys get drafted they'd have them talk to a psychologist to get an idea of just what sort of person they are.

So, you agree he was overdrafted. Thats one of my points. He had athletic ability, no doubt, however he was not refined. He was a project. 

Just another example of a project that didn't work out. 

.....now lets run out and draft Marcus Mariota at 2!!!! A great athlete but as a QB needs a lot of work.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Thats false. 
Stats prove me right. Shorts rarely has a game under 65 yards, Blackmon puts up monster numbers some weeks and others he's held to 3 rec 30 yards.

Quote:Stats prove me right. Shorts rarely has a game under 65 yards, Blackmon puts up monster numbers some weeks and others he's held to 3 rec 30 yards.

Blackmon rarely has a game under 65 yards as well. Maybe like 1 in his last 10. 

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013, 06:06 PM by BasshunterX.)

Quote:Blackmon rarely has a game under 65 yards as well. Maybe like 1 in his last 10. 

Try 2 out of his last 4 games. 50% chance he lays some duds. Pretty good for our "best" WR eh?  IMO, Shorts needs to be traded and we need to find a Z type receiver that can go downfield whether it be late rounds of the draft or better yet, Free agency. Im willing to let blackmon develop into a more than capable X style receiver while Sanders/Brown holds down the Y slot.

And Mariotta is far from the amount of risk Gabbert, Tebow, etc. all represented. He has pocket presence and a great arm. So does Bridgewater (better Deep ball tho). Ill take either.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM by Jungle Cat.)

Both Sanders and Robinson compare to Desmond Howard.

What did he do here? Zilch. He came in the expansion draft which means he had an upside down contract and his team dumped him on us via the expansion draft. 

The difference between Howard and Sanders/Robinson is we were more or less forced to eat Desmond's contract. We didn't have to draft Sanders or Robinson under as any kind of precondition.

Mike Thomas tracked as our best wide receiver up to his trade, which undoubtedly was engineered by Gene Smith, who additionally cut Jason Hill and fired the WR coach for not recommending Shorts as an immediate starter.

There's no animosity towards Shorts III here, but his rise to the starting role came as a result of somebody thumbing the scales and not as a result of truly earning the job which consists of convincing the coaching staff he was worthy.

Funny how this is now being revisited since Cecil Shorts III now carries the entire weight of the WR corps on his injured shoulder.

Funny how others bristled at the idea that Shorts III was a locker room cancer when all the attrition necessary to create the starting role for Shorts III taking place.

The irony of that is Shorts III finds himself on top of the heap and it appears his jimmies are rustled.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Both Sanders and Robinson compare to Desmond Howard.

I'll never understand how ill-informed and delusional you are.  This ^ is just one more example.  

Howard played in a whopping 13 games as a Jaguar.  He'd have been a good returner for us - had an overly uptight Coughlin not given him the boot prematurely. 

(not to mention Couglin had him on punts more than KO - when he clearly was better at KO)    

There really isn't a comparison unless you think Ace is gonna have a 10 year career with 3000 yards in PRs with 8 TDs  and  8000 more yards in KRs. 

Thought I'd bump this thread with the two receiver's stats thus far in their respective rookie seasons as Jags. 

Sanders  - 24 catches - 243 yards

Thomas - 23 catches 222 yards

Eerily similar.    I still think Sanders has great potential as a PR.  Hope to see it soon. 

Let me caveat this by saying:   I'm more than likely being a short-sighted homer and have forgotten alot of M80's "wow" plays.  But there have been a few times this season where I've been impressed with Sanders quickness.  This last week he juked the corner on one of our famous bubble (quick out) screens to the WR that made me sit up and take notice.

He's had some special plays on his returns as well.  He seems to have the speed and quickness to be alot better than Mike Thomas if we can find a QB and OC that can utilize his talents.  I honestly hope we do bring in a better Offensive Coordinator though....  Not to derail this thread, so I'll stop right there.

M80 was never really a #1 WR, even though that's how he was viewed towards the end. It's kinda unfortunate that he was treated that way after MSW regressed.  But what's done is done.

Ace has the opportunity to be utilyzed properly for the talents he has, he can potentially surpase M80 in the coming years.  Of course, if M80 more WR weapons around him, he also could have been more successfull here.  Though there is probably an arguement to say that since he didn't do anything in Detriot after he was traded, he only looked as good as he did because he was on a team (ours) that lacked any semblance of talent. 

I think that's the saddest thing.  We've been so starved for talent, it's hard to even realize if what we are seeing is real NFL caliber skills.  Though like I said, that juke this Sunday against the Cards was pretty impressive. 

Though the stats are eerily similar, I think we might seem Sanders explode in terms of his contribution in the next couple years.  Time will tell. 

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 10:07 PM by Jinjo.)

Ssnders has much more potential than MT. He is so much quicker out of his breaks, and can make the 1st guy miss most of the time. Once he gets the fine details of NFL route running hes going to be one of the best slot WRs in the league imo.

The numbers right now are irrelevant. Garrard was a much better QB than Henne.

Quote:Ssnders has much more potential than MT. He is so much quicker out of his breaks, and can make the 1st guy miss most of the time. Once he gets the fine details of NFL route running hes going to be one of the best slot WRs in the league imo.

The numbers right now are irrelevant. Garrard was a much better QB than Henne.
That's bold stuff!  I hope you are right! 

Quote:That's bold stuff!  I hope you are right! 

He is pretty much Tavon Austin without his long speed. Hes just as shifty and quick. If Ace was on that WVU offense he would have went SO much higher.