Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mariota vs Hundley game watching party topic

Quote:I have two problems with Mariota first his accuracy

Don't get me wrong every QB overshoots now and again but with Mariota I see too many passes sail out of bounds and miss wide open receivers on intermediate routes
That's a legitimate concern, but if correctable, then he should still be in consideration in the top 5 IMO. Just too much upside.

Watching Colin Kaepernick yesterday really validated what I thought already, not that our defense is great, but his mobility really gave our defense no chance at all. 

If there was a redraft of 2011, CK would've went top 5.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I have watched a ton. A TON of Mariota the past two weeks. I want to like him. I really do. For the sole worry of the Jaguars deciding to Jaguar and miss out on Bridgewater.

I just can't. I don't like the kid. I don't like the Oregon offense. I think Mariota looks raw. I hate his throwing motion and how awkward he releases at times. He also seems to get TOO comfortable in the pocket at times because he is confident in his own speed.

TEST

Quote:I have watched a ton. A TON of Mariota the past two weeks. I want to like him. I really do. For the sole worry of the Jaguars deciding to Jaguar and miss out on Bridgewater.

I just can't. I don't like the kid. I don't like the Oregon offense. I think Mariota looks raw. I hate his throwing motion and how awkward he releases at times. He also seems to get TOO comfortable in the pocket at times because he is confident in his own speed.

If Jags miss out on TB, they have to either take Clowney or trade out of the spot for someone who does want Clowney.

You can get the same QB value as Mariota in the 2nd or 3rd.

Quote:I have watched a ton. A TON of Mariota the past two weeks. I want to like him. I really do. For the sole worry of the Jaguars deciding to Jaguar and miss out on Bridgewater.

The offense that he comes from is the biggest issue. He is not learning the pro style concepts that are required to be successful at the NFL level

Quote:The offense that he comes from is the biggest issue. He is not learning the pro style concepts that are required to be successful at the NFL level

He's also way too quiet and shy for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nI-T2ToEJU

TEST

I don't think he's shy or timid, and his attitude is fine. Hes a very humble young man.

The biggest question is could he come in and make a different right away for the worst team in the league. He looks like someone who need to sit behind a vet for a year or two before he can start.

When it's all said and done, If they are going the QB direction in the first round, I'm fairly confident TB is the pick.

Quote:I don't think he's shy or timid, and his attitude is fine. Hes a very humble young man.

The biggest question is could he come in and make a different right away for the worst team in the league. He looks like someone who need to sit behind a vet for a year or two before he can start.

When it's all said and done, If they are going the QB direction in the first round, I'm fairly confident TB is the pick.

That's funny because in the video I just posted Mariota called himself shy.

TEST

Quote:He's also way too quiet and shy for my taste.

The shyness doesn't bother me, thats how Teddy is. Id rather have that than what I have seen from RG3. Its the offense and his lack of pro style concepts that bother me. He is extremely overrated especially by the Mchays and Kipers of the world?

Who has espn insider and can post this article?

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-footb...raft-class

Have you seen videos of Teddy outside of a game not from 2 years ago? He doesn't seem even remotely shy. I have also seen him chew out receivers several times after they screwed up routes.

TEST

Quote:Have you seen videos of Teddy outside of a game not from 2 years ago? He doesn't seem even remotely shy. I have also seen him chew out receivers several times after they screwed up routes.
He is assertive on the field, but he is camera shy though. I prefer that, that means he just gonna focus on his position and being a better qb rather than celebrity status

I'd rather see someone shy and humble when they're that young (like Mariota) than seeing 21 year old Gabbert say "Because if you don't, I'll have to beat you for the next 15 years" (when asked "Why should we draft you?" in a pre-draft video)

Gabbert had the "fake" confidence.  Confidence in his abilities without ever actually excelling at the position.

Mariota and Bridgewater can at least say they've dominated whatever competition was put infront of them.  They have a right to be confident.

I'd love to see Teddy here.

Mariota could turn out special, but he just looks so young and uncomfortable.  Mariota going to the Jags would be a disaster for him.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Who has espn insider and can post this article?

All fluffs.  If by loaded, they meant in the 2nd to 4th round, then yes, it is loaded with developmental projects.  There should only be one QB deserves to be a top 10 pick, and that's TB. 

Quote:All fluffs.  If by loaded, they meant in the 2nd to 4th round, then yes, it is loaded with developmental projects.  There should only be one QB deserves to be a top 10 pick, and that's TB. 
As I thought

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/44...ns-offense

Article on Matiota with a few paragraphs about projectiong him to the NFL game.

Quote:He's also way too quiet and shy for my taste.

Nothing really wrong with that, there are different ways to lead. As long as he's vocal when he needs to be that's all that matters. 

Quote:The shyness doesn't bother me, thats how Teddy is. Id rather have that than what I have seen from RG3. Its the offense and his lack of pro style concepts that bother me. He is extremely overrated especially by the Mchays and Kipers of the world?

Who has espn insider and can post this article?

Poor mans Kaepernick basically....

Quote:Poor mans Kaepernick basically....
I am convinced that McShay and Kiper are on the payroll of either the Bucs or the Vikings...

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2013, 08:47 AM by ukjag34.)

Quote:That's a legitimate concern, but if correctable, then he should still be in consideration in the top 5 IMO. Just too much upside.

Watching Colin Kaepernick yesterday really validated what I thought already, not that our defense is great, but his mobility really gave our defense no chance at all. 

If there was a redraft of 2011, CK would've went top 5.

I don't have a problem with mobile quarter backs, the pocket passer is a dying breed, faster rushers means to extend the play and get away or bootleg you need nore mobile qbs.

Added gabbert had plenty of upside, it was the mental stuff and add to that, that we are the worst team for developing a quarter back right now. You really want to throw someone who is as raw as mariota into this quagmire. You could say he has more potential or a higher ceiling than bridgewater, his running is excellent and his arm shows potential but that is not the qb the jags need right now.

The jags need a luck, polished game and mobility, the nearest to that is bridgewater though luck is bigger and stronger. We put mariota in here on the whisper of his potential without an established qb to sit behind for a year to get him nfl ready and he will be the next gabbert or even... if rg3 keeps going the way the season's going... the next rg3.

Added mariota is much more like rg3 than kapernick. Rg3 is a runner turned passer, kaepernick a big arm passer that can run.

Plus our situation is much more like the redskins than the 49ers. 9ers good trenches lots of pieces around him and a qb he can sit behind for a year to get up to speed (alex smith is a very good game manager),

redskins, dodgy defense but a better o line than ours. We put mariota in our system and throw him straight into the first team I can see us crushing another qb with potential that needs developing. That;s why the eagles is a perfect fit, sit him behind vick for a year and put him in a system designed for a fast paced mobile qb with the best rb in football this year at year  to support him in mccoy.

So for me it's bridgewater or clowney, trade back to the middle of the second and if someone falls get our qb between mid second and third rounds.

Though i would not object to us trading back into the first to get de'anthony thomas if mjd leaves.

Quote:I'd rather see someone shy and humble when they're that young (like Mariota) than seeing 21 year old Gabbert say "Because if you don't, I'll have to beat you for the next 15 years" (when asked "Why should we draft you?" in a pre-draft video)

So you wouldn't want Peyton Manning then, because that's exactly what he told Bill Polian in 1998 before the draft.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Added gabbert had plenty of upside, it was the mental stuff and add to that, that we are the worst team for developing a quarter back right now. You really want to throw someone who is as raw as mariota into this quagmire. You could say he has more potential or a higher ceiling than bridgewater, his running is excellent and his arm shows potential but that is not the qb the jags need right now.
The difference is that we can at least be creative with Mariota, unlike Gabbert who isn't going to scare anyone when he gets out of the pocket. He also doesn't show the same type of panic in the pocket that Gabbert showed as Mizzou. However, I'd only want to pick him in the top 5 if they truly thought he could develop into a pocket passer long term.

I prefer Teddy, but would settle for Mariota if we don't pick #1.