Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do you still get excited to watch Jaguar football on sunday

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 01:48 AM by barrrrrett.)

Quote:I don't agree with "lets lose this year to get a better draft pick so it can make us better" mentality. 

Lets not forget the draft is a gamble and there are no guarentees.  There is a long line of players who were "sure fire to be great" that turned out to be bust. 

I do not agree with losing to get a better lottery ticket.  This team has to be smart and get good players in the draft and spend some serious money in FA.  Yes there have been teams that have spend wisely in FA and are much better for it.
While not the popular choice, I very much agree. I'd be more than happy to watch this team actually try to be competitive each year going 5-11 or 6-10 while also trying to rebuild. Having that feeling that we have a chance is a really nice feeling to have. Definitely not experiencing that right now and don't see it in my future this year either.

I'm also not of the opinion that you have to pick top 5 to get "the guy" for the next 10 years (Rodgers 24th, Roethlisberger 11th, Brees 32nd, Dalton 35th, Flacco 18th, Cutler 11th, Wilson 75th (doh), Kaepernick 36th, Romo undrafted and Brady well documented at 199 all come to mind). While some still manage to, many teams over the years have shown that you don't have to have 3-4 miserable years of football to then right the ship. We're probably a lost cause at this point being so devoid of talent, but I digress.

To the original post, I'm vaguely excited. I'll still be in my seat and won't get up til the clock hits 0:00 even if we're down by 40, but I probably won't be terribly excited to be there. It's more of a chore right now. An interesting chore.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm always excited for Jaguars football.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The 90's were good to us, so I can die knowing that I witnessed a great team. But I hope I live to see us win a Super Bowl.

Don't forget that it hasn't always sucked in the last 10 years.  As recently as 2010, we were one game away from winning the division.  Also teams every year show that a quick turn around is possible.

Some of us wanted to just blow the team up and start over from scratch.  Well, Caldwell has done that.  I believe the Jags will improve in the second half of the season and with another good draft and off season the future will start to take shape.  Not much consolation for the here and now, but it's coming.  Smile

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote: 

When I see Del Rio get 5 wins with worse and get fired, and Mularkey gets 2 wins with about the same and get fired, and now knowing Caldwell and Bradley are likely to get 3 years I'm not enthused.

Regards..................the Chiefjag

You would take the joy out of Christmas.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 03:51 PM by Jinjo.)

Quote:While not the popular choice, I very much agree. I'd be more than happy to watch this team actually try to be competitive each year going 5-11 or 6-10 while also trying to rebuild. Having that feeling that we have a chance is a really nice feeling to have. Definitely not experiencing that right now and don't see it in my future this year either.

I'm also not of the opinion that you have to pick top 5 to get "the guy" for the next 10 years (Rodgers 24th, Roethlisberger 11th, Brees 32nd, Dalton 35th, Flacco 18th, Cutler 11th, Wilson 75th (doh), Kaepernick 36th, Romo undrafted and Brady well documented at 199 all come to mind). While some still manage to, many teams over the years have shown that you don't have to have 3-4 miserable years of football to then right the ship. We're probably a lost cause at this point being so devoid of talent, but I digress.

To the original post, I'm vaguely excited. I'll still be in my seat and won't get up til the clock hits 0:00 even if we're down by 40, but I probably won't be terribly excited to be there. It's more of a chore right now. An interesting chore.

Yeah you dont HAVE to draft a QB in the top 5 to find your guy, but it is ignorant not to acknowledge that the probabilities of a top 5 pick panning out are a lot higher than picks from the mid 1st onward. You list the exceptions to the rule, in reality under 10% of QBs picked after the 1st round end up being a top tier starter.

Especially when one of the best QB prospects in the last decade is coming out, I dont see why anyone would want us to win an extra 2 games and miss out on him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Better days ahead friends. ..

Quote:Yeah you dont HAVE to draft a QB in the top 5 to find your guy, but it is ignorant not to acknowledge that the probabilities of a top 5 pick panning out are a lot higher than picks from the mid 1st onward. You list the exceptions to the rule, in reality under 10% of QBs picked after the 1st round end up being a top tier starter.

Especially when one of the best QB prospects in the last decade is coming out, I dont see why anyone would want us to win an extra 2 games and miss out on him.

I said after pick number 10, not after round 1. Huge difference. Yes, some are after the first round, but there are many that slipped to the middle of the first or top of second (which is basically like a 1st round pick anyhow) for whatever reason. Also, among active QB's, the after top 10's have 8 Super Bowls to the top 10 picks' 3. I'm sure you understand why that would be. It's the most important position, but also the most overvalued. I do acknowledge that it may be necessary to draft your future starter 1st overall or what have you, but I absolutely disagree that the possibility is a lot higher that they will pan out. If you graze over this list, I think you'll understand what I mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL...arterbacks