Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade Monroe to Denver

Quote:He is arguably the best player on the team and injuries allowed he has at least another 5 years at the top of his game.

Never say never, but I'd need a crazy offer to even consider it.

He is by far the best and most consistent player on the Jaguars roster, the only way the I can see Jaguars trading him to a team that will be drafting at the back end of the 1st round is if they offered a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Monroe is a free agent at the end of the season.  I consider him gone.  If the Jaguars wanted him for the future, they could have already resigned him.  They haven't.  They also drafted Joekel.  I disbelieve that they used the second overall pick in the draft to take a right tackle for the long term.  I think the plan all along was to let Monroe leave at the end of the season, move Joekel to left tackle next year, and then either draft a right tackle in the 2nd/3rd round or sign one as a free agent.  The bottom line is Monroe is as good as gone after this season and this season isn't going anywhere.  We might as well get a couple of picks for him.  This is all a moot point, Denver would never give us a 1st and 3rd for Monroe, particularly considering he will be a free agent at the end of this year.  That's a very high price for one year.  I know they have Super Bowl hopes, but they aren't stupid.

Quote:Monroe is a free agent at the end of the season. I consider him gone. If the Jaguars wanted him for the future, they could have already resigned him. They haven't. They also drafted Joekel. I disbelieve that they used the second overall pick in the draft to take a right tackle for the long term. I think the plan all along was to let Monroe leave at the end of the season, move Joekel to left tackle next year, and then either draft a right tackle in the 2nd/3rd round or sign one as a free agent. The bottom line is Monroe is as good as gone after this season and this season isn't going anywhere. We might as well get a couple of picks for him. This is all a moot point, Denver would never give us a 1st and 3rd for Monroe, particularly considering he will be a free agent at the end of this year. That's a very high price for one year. I know they have Super Bowl hopes, but they aren't stupid.

ever heard of the franchise tag?

if he doesn't resign with us, you can be sure that we will franchise him. he isn't on the trade block anyway.

I made this post to create a good dialogue on the pros and cons of trading Monroe. I agree with those who say that just getting a first rounder from Denver is not enough. That is why I included another high pick or quality player in the deal. I love the idea of Julius Thomas which someone made. No, I don't think Denver would accept this deal since Clady will be back next year and Monroe will be in a contract year but why not try ? Monroe may be asking for too much to re-sign with the Jags who just invested a lot of money in their left tackle of the future. Given the choice, I'd resign Monroe and have your bookend tackles, but I just don't see that happenning. Hopefully I'm wrong since having a dependable offensive line is a necessity regardless of who the quarterback is.

Because you don't tank for next year that is why. The browns situation was different. Richardson keeps getting injured. Not like he was top 3 and traded.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: why not try ? Monroe may be asking for too much to re-sign with the Jags who just invested a lot of money in their left tackle of the future.

Because the value for a young, very good LT is more than a somewhere in the last 5 picks of the first round draft pick, especially for a team with plenty of cap to resign him. And the target team has no real incentive to make that deal if you have to throw in another good young player to make it.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I made this post to create a good dialogue on the pros and cons of trading Monroe. I agree with those who say that just getting a first rounder from Denver is not enough. That is why I included another high pick or quality player in the deal. I love the idea of Julius Thomas which someone made. No, I don't think Denver would accept this deal since Clady will be back next year and Monroe will be in a contract year but why not try ? Monroe may be asking for too much to re-sign with the Jags who just invested a lot of money in their left tackle of the future. Given the choice, I'd resign Monroe and have your bookend tackles, but I just don't see that happenning. Hopefully I'm wrong since having a dependable offensive line is a necessity regardless of who the quarterback is.

The Jaguars just invested in a right tackle in Joeckel.  Whether he's the left tackle of the future remains to be seen.  The job is taken currently, and if Monroe continues to play at the level he has, he'll deserve every bit of what the fair market commands for a left tackle.  Joeckel's contract wasn't some unmanageable amount that forces this team to do anything, especially with the cap space they're sitting on.  It doesn't matter if he's expensive.  He's a LT.  Good ones are difficult to find, and we're not trading away a known quantity because we hope Joeckel can play that position.  Especially when it hurts us by forcing the team to go out and find yet another tackle. 

Your scenario really doesn't hold any water based on what's happening in Denver, and the youth and experience we have with Monroe.  He's a good YOUNG LT who has years of service left in him barring injury.  Why would you trade away a proven talent based on nothing more than hope?  It's silly.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]