Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
FBT's Pickem

Anyone finding this week to be tougher than others so far?

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm creeping up the leader board like a pair of old underwear with bad elastic.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:This is my first year doing pick'em and I agree...very humbling. Enough to make you pull your hair out , yell at the TV and accuse the NFL of being a dirty, scripted league LOL.

It can be quite a challenge to keep your emotions in check when it comes to NFL games or any competition that you are watching others determine the outcome.       The worst moment for me in this regard was probably when the Officials reversed what sure looked like a TD for Calvin Johnson near the end of the Lions 2010 season opener in Chicago.       To this day,    I'm convinced that Megatron caught that pass.    

The results of Week # 9 are a reminder why I did my best to stay grounded after being fortunate to have Week # 8 success.     I'm having a FAR less than stellar week with the picks.   That's an understatement.      Each week and even specific game is an entity on to itself.    Having said that,   I enjoy the competition of trying to predict the games and share the experience with people like you,   Sammy,   and the others in the contest.

Quote:Anyone finding this week to be tougher than others so far?

There were several games that concerned me.     Unfortunately for good reason.    

Rough week for all. Very ugly scores. Best right now is 60, yucky.

This will take over as my throw out week. I am not happy about that.

;

Quote:Rough week for all. Very ugly scores. Best right now is 60, yucky.

I am at 185 so far with lacy left. Foles was huge.
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:I am at 185 so far with lacy left. Foles was huge.
I think you're in the wrong thread.

;

Quote:I think you're in the wrong thread.

Or playing with defensive players. I'm on 163 points with Rodgers and Tillman left.

Quote:Or playing with defensive players. I'm on 163 points with Rodgers and Tillman left.
This thread is about an NFL Pick em.....

;

Quote:This thread is about an NFL Pick em.....

Just noticed..believe it or not sorry haha!!

Quote:   There were several games that concerned me.     Unfortunately for good reason.    

QFT :yes:

Quote:Rough week for all. Very ugly scores. Best right now is 60, yucky.

I am afraid to go look at my picks from this past week, or I should say the results. Wallbash

Quote:QFT :yes:

I am afraid to go look at my picks from this past week, or I should say the results. Wallbash
I moved up a spot, and had a terrible week. As expected this past week took over as my new throw out week.

;

Quote:QFT :yes:

Sammy,   what capped off the week of picks for me is that I changed my pick from Indianapolis to Houston a few hours before the game.     My hunch  proved correct for much of the evening.     From a Colts standpoint,   I was concerned that the team would have difficulty adjusting to the loss of Reggie Wayne.    Also,   the Texans were in desperation mode.    The one thing I should have made a point of emphasis is Andrew Luck's ability to make comebacks,    even when his team is being outplayed significantly.     I saw this first hand last December when the Colts came back from 12 down to win on the road in Detroit.        This is a QB that clearly elevates his team to much greater heights.         I think Luck has reached the point that he's already a top 5 NFL QB.   

Quote:Sammy,   what capped off the week of picks for me is that I changed my pick from Indianapolis to Houston a few hours before the game.     My hunch  proved correct for much of the evening.     From a Colts standpoint,   I was concerned that the team would have difficulty adjusting to the loss of Reggie Wayne.    Also,   the Texans were in desperation mode.    The one thing I should have made a point of emphasis is Andrew Luck's ability to make comebacks,    even when his team is being outplayed significantly.     I saw this first hand last December when the Colts came back from 12 down to win on the road in Detroit.        This is a QB that clearly elevates his team to much greater heights.         I think Luck has reached the point that he's already a top 5 NFL QB.   

I think I had the Colts low, and it would have been lower, but you can't put them all in the #1 spot, and then I think I had Green Bay high. That was one impossible week of picks.

I recall that Detroit game well, and the finish was a little comical in a way ... IIRC The go ahead Colts touchdown was Luck throwing it to TY Hilton, and then nearly beating him into the endzone. (Psst, I just knew the Colts would lose that Detroit game ... somehow they didn't, and it was every bit as exciting as I feared it would be)

I bought a TY Hilton jersey last year before he became popular. Had to go to NFL.com because it wasn't mass produced or sold locally. NFL.com didn't even have the upper models, they only had the $100.00 one. He just may be able to make a difference with all playmakers the Colts were counting on being on IR ... I really hated to see Reggie go down, but it happens to so many guys. I wouldn't doubt that one of these days every player will be required to wear knee braces.

I haven't looked at this weeks games, probably get it overwith tonight.

Bleh, I moved down a lot.  Stupid Jets in week 5.  Stupid Falcons.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I think I had the Colts low, and it would have been lower, but you can't put them all in the #1 spot, and then I think I had Green Bay high. That was one impossible week of picks.

I recall that Detroit game well, and the finish was a little comical in a way ... IIRC The go ahead Colts touchdown was Luck throwing it to TY Hilton, and then nearly beating him into the endzone. (Psst, I just knew the Colts would lose that Detroit game ... somehow they didn't, and it was every bit as exciting as I feared it would be)

I bought a TY Hilton jersey last year before he became popular. Had to go to NFL.com because it wasn't mass produced or sold locally. NFL.com didn't even have the upper models, they only had the $100.00 one. He just may be able to make a difference with all playmakers the Colts were counting on being on IR ... I really hated to see Reggie go down, but it happens to so many guys. I wouldn't doubt that one of these days every player will be required to wear knee braces.

I haven't looked at this weeks games, probably get it overwith tonight.

There have been many weeks that I wanted to put teams low in confidence points but ended up putting the in the middle or even on the high end.    Similar you mentioned,    you can only put so many teams at or near the lowest confidence point total.

While Ty Hilton has already far exceeded what the typical 3rd Round pick provides,   at the end of the game in Detroit,   it was Donnie Avery who caught the winning TD.     The Colts sent all of the other skill players deep,   with Avery then catching a crossing pattern and having the running room to score against a Lions Defense that was drawn well into the end zone.     Great play call and execution by the Colts.     It was the most difficult loss of last season for me but it was a game that convinced me beyond any doubt that Luck is a differential QB.     I'm still in disbelief the Lions lost that game.

Quote:Sammy,   what capped off the week of picks for me is that I changed my pick from Indianapolis to Houston a few hours before the game.     My hunch  proved correct for much of the evening.     From a Colts standpoint,   I was concerned that the team would have difficulty adjusting to the loss of Reggie Wayne.    Also,   the Texans were in desperation mode.    The one thing I should have made a point of emphasis is Andrew Luck's ability to make comebacks,    even when his team is being outplayed significantly.     I saw this first hand last December when the Colts came back from 12 down to win on the road in Detroit.        This is a QB that clearly elevates his team to much greater heights.         I think Luck has reached the point that he's already a top 5 NFL QB.   
I'm just curious, because I've never seen you post like it before, why the 3-4 spaces or more after a period and comma?

;

Quote:I'm just curious, because I've never seen you post like it before, why the 3-4 spaces or more after a period and comma?

One thing for sure, it wasn't intentional. Yet, when writing this reply, I'm noticing that I'm going beyond the intended one space after a sentence. W/o realizing it, I probably have posted 3 or 4 spaces apart between sentences in many past posts that neither one of us realized this was occurring.

Interestingly, when reading your message yesterday ( I didn't have the opportunity to reply until now ), I thought that what occurred was related to my laptop computer. In recent weeks, there have been times when my laptop computer was moving from the spot I intended to continue a sentence. When this happened, rebooting the computer solved the problem.

Thanks for pointing this out. It probably will happen in the future but only because for some reason it currently seems more natural to skip more than one space.

Quote:One thing for sure, it wasn't intentional. Yet, when writing this reply, I'm noticing that I'm going beyond the intended one space after a sentence. W/o realizing it, I probably have posted 3 or 4 spaces apart between sentences in many past posts that neither one of us realized this was occurring.

Interestingly, when reading your message yesterday ( I didn't have the opportunity to reply until now ), I thought that what occurred was related to my laptop computer. In recent weeks, there have been times when my laptop computer was moving from the spot I intended to continue a sentence. When this happened, rebooting the computer solved the problem.

Thanks for pointing this out. It probably will happen in the future but only because for some reason it currently seems more natural to skip more than one space.
Got ya, was just curious.

;

I knew the Skins/Vikings game was a 1 pointer (4 me)

And in the case of pick'em players on the fence about which team to pick on the Thursday night game ... pick neither? (New Tactic?)

Now I have to ask ... Last week when TMD didn't pick the Thursday night game his 0 points weren't negative like mine were, and now this week he doesn't pick the Thursday night game (again), and now he is ahead of the majority of the players that made a choice going into the weekend.

Remember when he cried about his Thursday night game pick that "didn't" register? :whistling:  ... I think it may just be a tactic. ... He is afterall ... ahead of you heading into the weekend. Is he not? no points is a better score than negative points.

Makes sense when you think about it ... except does it? :blink: