Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stand United

Quote:So, in the end... how'd that work out for us?

There were many who incorrectly believed that we were "set" at QB, including the FO, and we neglected the position for nearly a decade.

That false sense of security has cause the QB position to look like it does today.

Had we started drafting QBs and bringing in FAs as short term solutions (McNair, Warner, Hasselbeck all became available and would have been fine solutions as we groomed a draft pick,) we wouldn't be rock bottom as we are today.

Since Brunell, we've had no viable franchise QB on the roster and we've only made two efforts to draft one (Leftwich, Gabbert.)

We're QB starved, because we quit.  We thought we had our "solution" on the roster at the time.  Well, look where that got us.

I expect at least one QB drafted, another brough in FA to compete for the job.

Whoever wins it... If some of you can't stand united behind our next QB (for once,) well...
I agree with most of what you posted...

Some on here, me included, only thought that Garrard was the best QB on the roster at the time... I've never called him elite or anything close to that... he was average at best but by him just being average...he still was the best QB on the team in my opinion... was that Garrard fault that he was only average...NO...was it his fault that he might have been the best QB on the roster and offered the Jags the best chance at winning...NO... I don't fault him for that at all...

Yes, it's the FO fault, that they didn't address the QB situation... just like the DL back then... they let it get old and injuries started stacking up on players like Stroud that cut his production down...they did nothing to address this problem either until it was to late... same could be said about the OL... Brads replacement should have already been on this team years ago...

The FO people that the Jags have had in place since 2003 are the ones who put the Jags in the place there are now... mistakes are everywhere and you only have to look at the roster and draft picks from back then to see it... no FO is going to hit on every player but they've to hit more than they miss on their first or second round picks...

One can only hope that this new FO will not make the same mistakes of the past ones...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't elite as TMD has tried to portray it.  Garrard had a very fortuitous stretch in 2007 that ultimately landed him one of the largest contracts in franchise history.  He subsequently demonstrated why 2007 was not a sign of being elite, but rather an anomaly in an otherwise pretty pedestrian career.  Nobody is denying he had a good year, and that there were some big wins in there.  But, to call it elite? 

Upon further review, I would agree. He was very good. Not elite.  An elite playoff run is what Joe Flacco had in 2012. Garrard was never at that level, even when beating Pittsburgh. I think to be elite out of 32 starting QBs you have to be at least in the top 5. While Garrard had a QB rating ranked 3rd, at no point in 2007 would anyone have thought Garrard was among the top 5 QBs in the NFL. He was very good. Even excellent. But he was not elite.

Many of us said exactly this at the time, but sometimes it's hard to see what you have when it's that close.  I was a DG fan but agree he was not elite.  Still on his best days he was pretty darn good.  Looking at his career as a whole he was pretty much a journeyman QB but it would be nice to have someone like that now.  Maybe the lights will come on for Gabbert soon and he can turn into a serviceable QB.  I wonder what would happen if he did actually?  So many people have made up their minds that he's a bust that it'd be tough for them to admit they were wrong if he does develop.  It would be a nice problem to have though.  Smile

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I am not declaring Garrard as an "elite" QB careerwise. I said that his 2007 season was elite.

Garrard would've had many elite years if the coaching staff had used his mobility. It was actually funny in those days when people chastised him for having that talent. Garrard was just way ahead of his time and his coaches time!
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://i.imgur.com/FiutZpK.gif'>http://i.imgur.com/FiutZpK.gif</a>

Quote:Garrard would've had many elite years if the coaching staff had used his mobility. It was actually funny in those days when people chastised him for having that talent. Garrard was just way ahead of his time and his coaches time!

Not really ahead of his time....Randall Cunningham was drafted before Garrard's rookie season by almost 20 years...

Our coaches (Jack) was stupid, tho....you got that part right. 

Quote:Garrard would've had many elite years if the coaching staff had used his mobility. It was actually funny in those days when people chastised him for having that talent. Garrard was just way ahead of his time and his coaches time!

How was Garrard ahead of his time? Mobile QBs have always had their place in this game allllllllll the way back to Fran Tarkenton,  Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, Jeff Garcia, even Mark Brunell. All found success running and passing before David Garrard was "ahead of his time"

Quote:Not really ahead of his time....Randall Cunningham was drafted before Garrard's rookie season by almost 20 years...

Our coaches (Jack) was stupid, tho....you got that part right.

Cunningham was too! These QBs came along when it was frowned upon to run the ball.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://i.imgur.com/FiutZpK.gif'>http://i.imgur.com/FiutZpK.gif</a>

Quote:How was Garrard ahead of his time? Mobile QBs have always had their place in this game allllllllll the way back to Fran Tarkenton,  Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, Jeff Garcia, even Mark Brunell. All found success running and passing before David Garrard was "ahead of his time"

All of these guys would have flourished with a Seahawk / 49er type offense. All ahead of their time!

Unfortunately, Garrard was the last that just missed it!

Standing with ya, FBT. :thumbsup:

I hope we win tomorrow, I really do. 

"I just know we need to win." - Coach Jack Del Rio

Garrard had a very good year to a great year in 07...  Let's not forget though that there was like 1 dropped INT every single game for DG...  That eventually caught up to him and he came back down to earth.  Sad for us...  If he would have been a smarter QB and kept working on his craft and improved each year, this franchise might look a whole heck of alot different.  But here we are...  Life goes on.  Koombayah... You give love a bad name...  Diamonds and Pearls...  Peaches and cream...  Captain and the Teal... 

Also Eli is not elite...  The 2 SB's are a nice resume filler for him...  But I wouldn't put him in the elite category.  He's very good though.  I wouldn't want him on my team as a franchise QB but I would put him over Rothlesburger.  I think it's intersting to see how slow both those QB's have started this season now that they don't have the same support on D, the lines, and offensive weapons...  Those teams have enough talent to be better than thier record is...  Elite QB's would have been able to help propel thier teams to better than 0-3, at least that's how I see it. 

No thanks.  More like Stand Moronic.

Quote:No thanks.  More like Stand Moronic.

Then feel free to lie down.

Personally, not my style.

Still standing united...   although it seems there are fewer of us each week. 

Also is it OK if we exclude some people from our unification?   Should I just list their jersey numbers?  

Quote:No thanks.  More like Stand Moronic.

Ok...bye

;

;