Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(07-23-2021, 08:53 PM)Jags Wrote: It’s super bad when you have a no call, no show and the whole crew is [BLEEP] this guy out since your understaffed and working another 11 hours on a Friday and you get relief that said guy calls in the evening and his alibi is that he was in jail.  That is bad to begin with.  I used to have nothing but good hardworking guys fresh from HS looking to earn money before they went on to do better things.  It has gotten to that point we now have a guy or two forced to work for probationary reasons.  Once the crew and I found out this guy was in jail, we all felt relieved.  That’s [BLEEP] sad.  And funny as well I suppose.  I mean, our job does get that wrap.  We’ll support this man the best we can, but I’ve been. More lenient with him than anyone else in the last 15.  I hope he gets his act together for himself, his family and well, I need him. I’ve got another prospect that seems really promising and “normal” with experience looking for extra money on his off days.  Works at a very reputable company nearby.  Therefore, should be drug/alcohol free.  Also sounded like the most normal person I’ve talked to in a while including family and high end clients. Hopefully he’ll pan out too and we can gain some sanity. I really don’t know how much of this I can handle, me or the other guys. I don’t want to be another one of those guys that sells because of the help aspect vs work load.

That's funny that you felt relieved that he was in jail.  

That reminds me of the time I had an opening for a clerical job and we interviewed a dozen people, and finally settled on one candidate and hired her.  This was on a Friday.  So on Monday, she's supposed to show up, and her father called and said she had been in an auto accident and was in the hospital.  Then 20 minutes later he called back and said he had lied, but his conscience had gotten the better of him and he had to tell the truth, that she was actually in jail on a drug charge, and she was a repeat offender, with multiple drug charges.  

Why hadn't we done a background check?  Well, all I can say is, when you build a business from the ground up, learning as you go, you have no mentor to tell you what you ought to be doing, so you learn from experience.  That was a good one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

RIP, Jackie Mason. One of the great comedians who didn't need vulgarity to be funny. I didn't realize he was also an ordained Rabbi.

As if things aren't already tough enough in India.

https://youtu.be/87qpcKFx2_I

Who knew? A former Nazi buried at Arlington National Cemetery. 

I hate this narrator’s affected dramatic voice, but an interesting story nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/GwqLJyvoI4c

Well, I made it six and a half years before my daughter decided to play dress up with me. I didn’t do the dress and makeup junk. But between the “Elton John-esque” sunglasses, half a dozen bracelets, a few rings, head band, cat ear headband, a necklace and a boa, I kinda feel like Steven Tyler! Plus she had fun. Good times.

(07-30-2021, 06:59 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, I made it six and a half years before my daughter decided to play dress up with me.  I didn’t do the dress and makeup junk.  But between the “Elton John-esque” sunglasses, half a dozen bracelets, a few rings, head band, cat ear headband, a necklace and a  boa,  I kinda feel like Steven Tyler! Plus she had fun. Good times.

It may be embarrassing but....... Cherish those times.... they grow up before you know it....... My Daughter is now 36 and married off and yet, it seems like yesterday that I held her for the first time....... Damn I'm feeling old right now......
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(07-30-2021, 07:07 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 06:59 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, I made it six and a half years before my daughter decided to play dress up with me.  I didn’t do the dress and makeup junk.  But between the “Elton John-esque” sunglasses, half a dozen bracelets, a few rings, head band, cat ear headband, a necklace and a  boa,  I kinda feel like Steven Tyler! Plus she had fun. Good times.

It may be embarrassing but....... Cherish those times.... they grow up before you know it....... My Daughter is now 36 and married off and yet, it seems like yesterday that I held her for the first time....... Damn I'm feeling old right now......

Cherished indeed!  I wasnt embarrassed a bit.  I was having fun.  Hell, it was my idea to take the photos.  I rocked that [BLEEP]!   I now know why some dudes accessorize, haha. I almost wanted to walk out like that to check the mail and get called derogatory names.  Would have been funny for a guy like that to beat some dudes [BLEEP].  (Well, not in the manner a guy dressed like that would normally like or enjoy. anyways…ya know what I mean). Yes, I had fun. She enjoyed it immensely.  Got it on camera as well. I’ll take that along with whatever moments we have awaiting us.  Hopefully many more.

Am I the only one who is getting lazy with this hot weather?

I hate that everything seems disposable now. I got a message saying parts may no longer be available for our printer soon and so we need to check out HPs discounts on a new printer. This thing is not that old. I know some of it is a marketing thing to get you to buy the "latest and greatest" so they can make money but it's also that we are way too much of a consumerist society.

My late grandfather died in 2009 and had the same stove/oven he bought in the 60s because it was actually cheaper to repair it. He worked on equipment at a well known outfit up there in RI, the name of which escapes me right now. Similar to Lockheed Martin but that wasn't it. Anyway, in the Navy during WW2 he was a radio repairman and was able to keep his old school console TV. refrigerator, stove/oven, etc., working. Now it's cheaper to replace something because parts may not be available anymore.

My husband is running into the same issue with our side business. Septic systems that are pushing 20 years old and over are getting increasingly difficult to find the electronic parts because they're just not around anymore. We can only find pumps locally, everything else is from Amazon, if they have it, because nothing is available anywhere else.

I'll never go to, or order from, my local Outback Steak House again...... I ordered a shrimp appetizer, Filet Mignon with a bake potato and french onion soup. The only thing edible was the soup. The steak was tough and dry, the shrimp, well, no words to describe them, and the baked potato looked liked it had been sitting all day..... $60 for something I could not eat so..... I'll just chalk it up to experience and go from there.....
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(07-31-2021, 07:15 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I'll never go to, or order from, my local Outback Steak House again...... I ordered a shrimp appetizer, Filet Mignon with a bake potato and french onion soup. The only thing edible was the soup. The steak was tough and dry, the shrimp, well, no words to describe them, and the baked potato looked liked it had been sitting all day..... $60 for something I could not eat so..... I'll just chalk it up to experience and go from there.....

If you ate it and paid for it, that's your problem.  I would have had the manager out there pronto.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021, 08:41 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-31-2021, 07:15 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I'll never go to, or order from, my local Outback Steak House again...... I ordered a shrimp appetizer, Filet Mignon with a bake potato and french onion soup. The only thing edible was the soup. The steak was tough and dry, the shrimp, well, no words to describe them, and the baked potato looked liked it had been sitting all day..... $60 for something I could not eat so..... I'll just chalk it up to experience and go from there.....

Did you order and eat in house or pick it up and take it home to eat? It’s amazing how crappy the food gets after sitting in a container and steeping in its own steam.

(07-31-2021, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote:

Did you order and eat in house or pick it up and take it home to eat? It’s amazing how crappy the food gets after sitting in a container and steeping in its own steam.

Ordered it through Uber Eats

(07-31-2021, 08:43 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote: Did you order and eat in house or pick it up and take it home to eat? It’s amazing how crappy the food gets after sitting in a container and steeping in its own steam.

Ordered it through Uber Eats

Ah,  that could be the issue.  It’s just not the same eaten when ready vs taken home in the box.  Sucks that you had that happen.  Especially with a filet.  Perfectly awesome cut wasted to the take home box.  I’m not sure I’d hold that against the restaurant.

I love the ATT commercial where the “aunt” is trying to see her niece/nephew (whatever it was) via zoom or whatever. The “paused/lagged” looks on this girls face while “seeing her niece” is hilarious.

(07-31-2021, 01:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Am I the only one who is getting lazy with this hot weather?

Yes, now get out there and mow your lawn before you get a letter!  And the house could use a little pressure washing as well.

For those that pack a lunch…try packing a lunch, don’t forget the ice packs, with crayons, glue sticks and play doh. See what the coworkers say. Should be a fun experiment. If nothing else, it’ll let them know you’re crazy. They won’t mess with you. You may get talked about behind your back though. But, it’ll keep them on their toes around you.

You have an interesting life. Lol.

(08-02-2021, 08:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You have an interesting life. Lol.
Thanks!  I chalk it up to having too much time on my hands as well as having the bad combo of genes.  I really don’t know how I have too much time, as I’d love to have more.  I can’t fight the genes though.  I may just be a lost cause.

(08-02-2021, 07:50 PM)Jags Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 01:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Am I the only one who is getting lazy with this hot weather?

Yes, now get out there and mow your lawn before you get a letter!  And the house could use a little pressure washing as well.

It will have to wait until at least Wednesday. Golf tomorrow. 

Why do today what can be done tomorrow, or the next day...