Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(08-13-2018, 07:41 AM)Rico Wrote: Ah yes, the joys of home ownership.

The outside air handler fried yesterday afternoon.  They'll be coming out to give us estimates on a new unit today.  There's a few thousand dollars that I don't have to spend.

On a related note...boy was it pleasant sleeping with no a/c last night.  Ugh.

Stuff like that is why I keep a window ac unit in my emergency supplies. Mostly in case of hurricane power loss, a generator can run one of those babies nicely, but it’s good to have if the ac goes out too. Sleeping in the heat sucks!!

Sorry about you having to fork out more cash though...that sucks too.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-13-2018, 08:27 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

The outside air handler fried yesterday afternoon.  They'll be coming out to give us estimates on a new unit today.  There's a few thousand dollars that I don't have to spend.

Stuff like that is why I keep a window ac unit in my emergency supplies. Mostly in case of hurricane power loss, a generator can run one of those babies nicely, but it’s good to have if the ac goes out too. Sleeping in the heat sucks!!

The even worse news is, I'm just getting estimates today.  That means no a/c until at least tomorrow.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-13-2018, 08:44 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 08:27 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Stuff like that is why I keep a window ac unit in my emergency supplies. Mostly in case of hurricane power loss, a generator can run one of those babies nicely, but it’s good to have if the ac goes out too. Sleeping in the heat sucks!!

The even worse news is, I'm just getting estimates today.  That means no a/c until at least tomorrow.

Is there a chance it just needs repaired and not totally dead?

That does suck. Mine is a 15-year-old builder’s grade unit that keeps humming along, but I know is approaching kaput. I keep telling myself to get ahead of the inevitable and replace it before the magic smoke is released. But as long as it keeps working, I’m having trouble getting a crowbar wedged into my wallet.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 09:53 AM by RicoTx.)

(08-13-2018, 09:09 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 08:44 AM)Rico Wrote: The even worse news is, I'm just getting estimates today.  That means no a/c until at least tomorrow.

Is there a chance it just needs repaired and not totally dead?

No, it's dead.  We had the guy come out for service yesterday evening and he said that it's shot.  It's 18 years old.  We're getting a bunch of estimates today.

(08-13-2018, 09:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

That does suck. Mine is a 15-year-old builder’s grade unit that keeps humming along, but I know is approaching kaput. I keep telling myself to get ahead of the inevitable and replace it before the magic smoke is released. But as long as it keeps working, I’m having trouble getting a crowbar wedged into my wallet.

I will say...I had the AC replaced at my last house and they are waaaaay more efficient than they used to be.  I saw a $30-$40 dollar difference in my monthly electric bill over the summers after I got the new unit installed.

(08-13-2018, 09:51 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 09:09 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Is there a chance it just needs repaired and not totally dead?

No, it's dead.  We had the guy come out for service yesterday evening and he said that it's shot.  It's 18 years old.  We're getting a bunch of estimates today.

(08-13-2018, 09:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: That does suck. Mine is a 15-year-old builder’s grade unit that keeps humming along, but I know is approaching kaput. I keep telling myself to get ahead of the inevitable and replace it before the magic smoke is released. But as long as it keeps working, I’m having trouble getting a crowbar wedged into my wallet.

I will say...I had the AC replaced at my last house and they are waaaaay more efficient than they used to be.  I saw a $30-$40 dollar difference in my monthly electric bill over the summers after I got the new unit installed.

Same here, I got a new unit last October and we're $50 or so less per month this summer.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Well, lookie here. A week ago everybody gave me crap for saying 35C was hot and now Rico has to go without his precious AC for a few days in 30C weather and look who is complaining up a storm.

Started getting estimates, low so far is $5721.74. Ugh.

(08-13-2018, 02:42 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Well, lookie here. A week ago everybody gave me crap for saying 35C was hot and now Rico has to go without his precious AC for a few days in 30C weather and look who is complaining up a storm.

Don’t hate on us because we have all the modern conveniences over here.

(08-13-2018, 04:13 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 02:42 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Well, lookie here. A week ago everybody gave me crap for saying 35C was hot and now Rico has to go without his precious AC for a few days in 30C weather and look who is complaining up a storm.

Don’t hate on us because we have all the modern conveniences over here.

Not to mention, RAIN.

(08-13-2018, 03:44 PM)Rico Wrote: Started getting estimates, low so far is $5721.74.  Ugh.

What tonnage and Seer rating was that quote for?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(08-13-2018, 03:44 PM)Rico Wrote: Started getting estimates, low so far is $5721.74.  Ugh.

Sounds about right. Just had mine replaced in the spring. Was able to get a 24 month no interest financing deal on it. That makes it sting a little less.

(08-13-2018, 08:09 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

What tonnage and Seer rating was that quote for?

4/14

Amazing the variance in the four estimates for the same-sized unit.

You receive a wedding invitiation with the following instruction: Formal clothing is required for reception, we kindly suggest our guest to wear black. 

You wear:_______________.

(08-16-2018, 01:27 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You receive a wedding invitiation with the following instruction: Formal clothing is required for reception, we kinda suggest our guest to wear black. 

A black cocktail dress...but I don’t know if you have the legs for it.  Laughing

Seriously though, a tuxedo or a black suit with a black shirt and tie would also be appropriate. You can do a white shirt with the black suit, you’d just need to step up your tie game with that option.

(08-16-2018, 01:47 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 01:27 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You receive a wedding invitiation with the following instruction: Formal clothing is required for reception, we kinda suggest our guest to wear black. 

A black cocktail dress...but I don’t know if you have the legs for it.  Laughing

You only have to believe you’ve got the legs for it.

And call everyone ‘dahling’, you’ll be a hit. Or get hit. Heck, I know some of the characters around here would hit it. Either way, you’ll make an impression.

I’m not good with advice, so take that with a grain of salt.

Grim Reaper costume?

Wait...

They "kinda" suggest? Man, that means you can rock the Chuck Taylor's and some cutoffs.

If you do wear black though, I would recommend a white shirt and black vest / waistcoat for the California heat. It lets you go away from the tie but still look formal. Plus, you'll stand out almost as much as HomerMyBiscuit in his little black dress.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(08-16-2018, 01:47 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

Seriously though, a tuxedo or a black suit with a black shirt and tie would also be appropriate. You can do a white shirt with the black suit, you’d just need to step up your tie game with that option.

Ha, thanks Bunnie, I definitely do not. Formal usually indicates tuxedo to me but I think what they were going for was semi-formal i.e. black suit. 
(08-16-2018, 09:58 AM)Deacon Wrote:

Wait...

They "kinda" suggest? Man, that means you can rock the Chuck Taylor's and some cutoffs.

If you do wear black though, I would recommend a white shirt and black vest / waistcoat for the California heat. It lets you go away from the tie but still look formal. Plus, you'll stand out almost as much as HomerMyBiscuit in his little black dress.

Whoops! They "kindly" suggest. It's in Mid-Oct and outside of CA, clueless to how hot it will be. I don't normally do black suits but I have one - with very very faint pinstripes. Not entirely sure about that.

(08-16-2018, 01:47 AM)Bchbunnie Wrote: Seriously though, a tuxedo or a black suit with a black shirt and tie would also be appropriate. You can do a white shirt with the black suit, you’d just need to step up your tie game with that option.

With a tuxedo, a white tie is actually more formal than black.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.