Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

Greyhound was the only way my grandma would travel, flying was just a “fad” to her.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2021, 01:50 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Greyhound was the only way my grandma would travel, flying was just a “fad” to her.

For a day or two of travel, it's not a bad way to go if you have the time. I rode a Greyhound between Kansas and Kentucky a couple of times and it wasn't too bad. Going from Kentucky to California and back again was interesting because I had never been that far west before. The vistas were breathtaking to me then. Since we had a long layover there, a fellow traveler I befriended called up some old acquaintances in Salt Lake City who took us on a tour of Capitol Hill. What a beautiful place. 

I was young and resilient then, but it was still a long haul. A baggie of Thai bud made the return trip a little more pleasant, though.

NASA is sharply changing its pricing for support of commercial endeavors to the ISS. Lawyers work for minimum wage compared to what an hour of astronaut time costs.

NASA hikes prices for commercial ISS users - SpaceNews

In the statement, published with little fanfare on the agency’s website, NASA said it was updating that price list “to reflect full reimbursement for the value of NASA resources.” The decision to do so, NASA said, was based on “discussions with stakeholders, the current market growth, and in anticipation of future commercial entities capable of providing similar services.”

By removing the subsidy, the prices of those services went up significantly. The cost to transport one kilogram of cargo up to the station, known as “upmass,” went from $3,000 to $20,000. The cost to bring that one kilogram back down from the station, “downmass,” went from $6,000 to $40,000. One hour of crew member time, previously $17,500, is now $130,000.

(03-05-2021, 01:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does anyone else remember when Greyhound and Trailways buses were ubiquitous on the interstates?

When is the last time you actually saw a commercial bus on the highway? I saw a Greyhound on I-10 about five years ago.

Sorry, I'm busy looking for a motel with a restaurant.  Have you seen one?

[Image: R0af4eb91b2fc32e864e8489183d4b5e8?rik=4M...pid=ImgRaw]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-05-2021, 09:18 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 01:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does anyone else remember when Greyhound and Trailways buses were ubiquitous on the interstates?

When is the last time you actually saw a commercial bus on the highway? I saw a Greyhound on I-10 about five years ago.

Sorry, I'm busy looking for a motel with a restaurant.  Have you seen one?

If I’m not mistaken, there is an old one of those on US1 just north of Nease high school and just south of cr 210.  It’s changed over the years, last I remember a “stone” business owned it.  [BLEEP], it could be a storage facility now.  But I do remember seeing that on my way to HS way back in the very late ‘90’s.  It wasn’t a HOJO then either.

(03-06-2021, 07:46 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 09:18 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Sorry, I'm busy looking for a motel with a restaurant.  Have you seen one?

If I’m not mistaken, there is an old one of those on US1 just north of Nease high school and just south of cr 210.  It’s changed over the years, last I remember a “stone” business owned it.  [BLEEP], it could be a storage facility now.  But I do remember seeing that on my way to HS way back in the very late ‘90’s.  It wasn’t a HOJO then either.

It’s been gone for many years now.

You can tell it's a freaking Monday, my coffee maker died. NO Caffeine fix for me this morning
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(03-08-2021, 07:57 AM)The Drifter Wrote: You can tell it's a freaking Monday, my coffee maker died. NO Caffeine fix for me this morning

Strain it through a paper towel.  You can't go without coffee!  (I know I can't).

(03-08-2021, 08:12 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 07:57 AM)The Drifter Wrote: You can tell it's a freaking Monday, my coffee maker died. NO Caffeine fix for me this morning

Strain it through a paper towel.  You can't go without coffee!  (I know I can't).

I've done that!!

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-08-2021, 08:12 AM)Sneakers Wrote:

Or strain it through a coffee filter. 

I have a percolator that serves back up duty, which was pressed into action a couple of months ago when I accidentally knocked a hole into the coffee maker carafe. It was in use for a couple of days until the replacement carafe was delivered. Coffee is essential.

(03-08-2021, 08:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:12 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Strain it through a paper towel.  You can't go without coffee!  (I know I can't).

Or strain it through a coffee filter. 

I have a percolator that serves back up duty, which was pressed into action a couple of months ago when I accidentally knocked a hole into the coffee maker carafe. It was in use for a couple of days until the replacement carafe was delivered. Coffee is essential.

Those copper coffee filters are awesome.. I always had problems with the paper filters collapsing inside the machine until I bought one of those copper reusable ones.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 08:29 PM by Jags.)

My wife is normally a pretty crappy gift giver.  However, this past Christmas,  I received a pretty nice belt.  One with a lifetime warranty and one in which is also very sturdy for...oh... idk, concealed carry.  Cool!  This morning I was presented with a gift.  For some reason “tennis” shoes don’t hold up to lawn work.  UA, Nike, sketchers last only a few months before the soles give out    I’ve got a good pair of Redwings, but I really only use them when expecting wet conditions.  I’ve had them for years.  Great boots.  My gift this morning was “indestructible shoes”.  Look cool as hell.  They look like Skechers mesh shoes.  Good job wifey on the look!  Turns out, they’re also steel toe! Sweet! The sole is noticeably thicker and stronger.  Well, the mesh is the last thing that makes me wonder why these are “indestructible”.  Well, I go online.  Puncture proof or resistant, I don’t remember, non slip; steel toe, and [BLEEP] Kevlar mesh!!!!  She keeps this up, and I’m only a few Christmas and birthday presents away from being Tony stark or a super hero!!!   I haven’t decided yet!   But I’m satisfied.  I’ll have to come up with my super hero name though.  Suggestions are welcomed.

(03-08-2021, 08:27 PM)Jags Wrote:   I’ll have to come up with my super hero name though.  Suggestions are welcomed.

Turfman just doesn't sound very cool.  How about Zero-turn?

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 09:34 PM by Jags.)

(03-08-2021, 09:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:27 PM)Jags Wrote:   I’ll have to come up with my super hero name though.  Suggestions are welcomed.

Turfman just doesn't sound very cool.  How about Zero-turn?

The front runner atm is “El Presidente”.  The others that are currently using that name can now battle it out with my legal team.  After all, I am lawn mogul as of recently.  Smile

Although, zero turn has a ring to it.  Not sure what my super power would be.

(03-08-2021, 09:33 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Turfman just doesn't sound very cool.  How about Zero-turn?

The front runner atm is “El Presidente”.  The others that are currently using that name can now battle it out with my legal team.  After all, I am lawn mogul as of recently.  Smile

That has a certain cartel-ish ring to it.....I am "El Presidente", I deal in grass!   DEA may start monitoring your website.... Ninja

I noticed your post about incorporating a few days ago.  I didn't realize you had employees and company vehicles without protection, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 10:21 PM by Jags.)

(03-08-2021, 10:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:33 PM)Jags Wrote: The front runner atm is “El Presidente”.  The others that are currently using that name can now battle it out with my legal team.  After all, I am lawn mogul as of recently.  Smile

That has a certain cartel-ish ring to it.....I am "El Presidente", I deal in grass!   DEA may start monitoring your website.... Ninja

I noticed your post about incorporating a few days ago.  I didn't realize you had employees and company vehicles without protection, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

To the first paragraph:   I had visions more so like Harrison Ford in Air Force One.  “I am the PRESIDENT! Now get off my lawn!!” 

To your other point, don’t think I haven’t thought about doing the ole 3 car monte with a few blacked out dualies(sp).  Like they do with Marine One.  That’s not quite in the budget yet.  Until then, I’ll have to be my own secret service with my indestructible shoes and belt.  Let’s hope they don’t get my “Achilles everything else” before next Christmas and bday.

You should be ashamed of not having a back up plan. What the heck kind of American are you?

Sitting at the imaging center with my wife now. She started having severe back and leg pain a week ago. Ended up in the ER on Friday night because she was in so much pain. Turns out she has a myriad of issues. Spinal stenosis, bulging disc, and arthritis. It's kind of inevitable she's going to need surgery at some point. We're just trying to find some way to at least temporarily alleviate her pain. We're heading to the acupuncturist after this.

I know she has to be in a lot of pain because she just doesn't complain about anything. Hell, it took me three days to let me take her to the doctor when she had appendicitis.

Sucks. Pretty helpless that I can't do anything to help her.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-09-2021, 10:07 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Sitting at the imaging center with my wife now.  She started having severe back and leg pain a week ago.  Ended up in the ER on Friday night because she was in so much pain.  Turns out she has a myriad of issues.  Spinal stenosis, bulging disc, and arthritis.  It's kind of inevitable she's going to need surgery at some point.  We're just trying to find some way to at least temporarily alleviate her pain.  We're heading to the acupuncturist after this.  

I know she has to be in a lot of pain because she just doesn't complain about anything.  Hell, it took me three days to let me take her to the doctor when she had appendicitis.  

Sucks.  Pretty helpless that I can't do anything to help her.

You're getting her the care she needs. That's the best help you can give her. I hope the doctors get her straightened out.

I hope she feels better soon Rico!