Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

It's only 4 minutes long but, it brought tears to my eyes real quick.........

https://youtu.be/c4-oyBnknHk
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I had my telescope out for a few hours last night. The skies were clear of clouds and the moon rose late (a good thing), but transparency was awful. Perseus was barely visible with the naked eye. After spending entirely too much time following a fool's errand of trying to at least get a hint of the California Nebula, I settled on looking at some open star cluster because transparency was quickly eroding. It's always interesting to see a satellite or piece of space junk go whizzing through the field of view when observing. Even though my optics stayed pretty clear, the red dot finder dewed over so bad it was like looking through a shower door.

My back is a little sore this morning from humping the telescope around and craning over to line up the finder. I need one of those rigs that can be controlled with a wifi hookup. All you have to do is sit in the comfort of your home, tell it where to go and watch on a computer screen. That would seem to take the challenge out of it, though.

(12-23-2021, 09:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had my telescope out for a few hours last night. The skies were clear of clouds and the moon rose late (a good thing), but transparency was awful. Perseus was barely visible with the naked eye. After spending entirely too much time following a fool's errand of trying to at least get a hint of the California Nebula, I settled on looking at some open star cluster because transparency was quickly eroding. It's always interesting to see a satellite or piece of space junk go whizzing through the field of view when observing. Even though my optics stayed pretty clear, the red dot finder dewed over so bad it was like looking through a shower door.

My back is a little sore this morning from humping the telescope around and craning over to line up the finder. I need one of those rigs that can be controlled with a wifi hookup. All you have to do is sit in the comfort of your home, tell it where to go and watch on a computer screen. That would seem to take the challenge out of it, though.

Is there much light pollution where you were watching?

(12-23-2021, 09:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 09:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had my telescope out for a few hours last night. The skies were clear of clouds and the moon rose late (a good thing), but transparency was awful. Perseus was barely visible with the naked eye. After spending entirely too much time following a fool's errand of trying to at least get a hint of the California Nebula, I settled on looking at some open star cluster because transparency was quickly eroding. It's always interesting to see a satellite or piece of space junk go whizzing through the field of view when observing. Even though my optics stayed pretty clear, the red dot finder dewed over so bad it was like looking through a shower door.

Is there much light pollution where you were watching?

There is everywhere around a city. Even if not within the lights themselves, cities create a light dome which can interfere with deep sky observations. The closest good dark sky site is in the middle of the Okefenokee refuge. I've never been but this is the time of year to go. I can only imagine how bad the bugs are in warmer weather. 

There are light pollution filters which seem to work pretty well, but I don't have one.

Taco Bell Customer Shoots Out Drive-Thru Window Over Her Order: Police (msn.com)

I'm assuming she doesn't use mild sauce.

Nerves run high ahead of the James Webb Space Telescope launch this Saturday | Space

Instead of looking to see if Santa visited tomorrow, I'll be watching this. 25 years and 10 Beeelyun dollars in the making, the James Webb Space Telescope hopefully launches. There are some people who have spent their entire careers designing and overseeing the development and construction of this marvel. 

If successfully launched, it will unfold like an origami piece and then transit to where it will reside at the L2 Lagrange point, beyond the orbit of the moon and almost a million miles from Earth. I can't imagine how nerve wracking this must be for so many people who put so much work into this. 

[Image: 463480main_lagrange_point_lg_1.jpg]

(12-23-2021, 12:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Taco Bell Customer Shoots Out Drive-Thru Window Over Her Order: Police (msn.com)

I'm assuming she doesn't use mild sauce.

That wasn't what they meant by "fire."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 08:39 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’m sure we all get mail addressed to the previous owners.  From what I’m told, the previous owners divorced and sold.  Here we are!  Well, after 13 years in this house, we get a Christmas card for the wife and the child.  It’s double stamped.  You know that [BLEEP] has a gift card or money in it. 

We got it “late”.  By “late” I mean not enough time to return to sender and the true recipient get it by Christmas. 

Won’t lie.  I’m curious about what’s inside.  I will feel bad if I keep what’s inside.  But I can’t.  It’s not right and goes against everything Christmas.  I truly don’t need it.  Plus the sadness on whatever persons face thinking that mr and Mrs moss didn’t think about them this holiday season. 

Well, curiosity got the best of me.  I already googled the return address and found out the sender didn’t really achieve much in life.  So whatever the gift inside is means even more.  So, let’s just take the letter opener and see what it is before I tape over and put in mailbox “wrong address”. 

It’s a nice card with a lengthy hand written note inside.  It’s talking about helping each other through hard times and such and how proud of them they are. 

I’ve got new for you mr/Mrs moss.  You’re not exactly up on current events. Despite whatever correspondence you may have had, “Beth” and “Maggie” haven’t thought much about you to tell you they moved 13 years ago.  Seems like we’ve got deeper rooted family issues than you thought.

Not even a gift card inside or cash.  So know I’m even debating resealing and putting in the mailbox with “wrong address”. The “human” in me says to do so.  The realist in me says these guys don’t even know each other that much.

And yes, I’m a smart [BLEEP] and [BLEEP]. I realize I should have sent it back front the get-go. But I’m not your normal person. I love gathering intel

(12-26-2021, 08:29 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m sure we all get mail addressed to the previous owners.  From what I’m told, the previous owners divorced and sold.  Here we are!  Well, after 13 years in this house, we get a Christmas card for the wife and the child.  It’s double stamped.  You know that [BLEEP] has a gift card or money in it. 

We got it “late”.  By “late” I mean not enough time to return to sender and the true recipient get it by Christmas. 

Won’t lie.  I’m curious about what’s inside.  I will feel bad if I keep what’s inside.  But I can’t.  It’s not right and goes against everything Christmas.  I truly don’t need it.  Plus the sadness on whatever persons face thinking that mr and Mrs moss didn’t think about them this holiday season. 

Well, curiosity got the best of me.  I already googled the return address and found out the sender didn’t really achieve much in life.  So whatever the gift inside is means even more.  So, let’s just take the letter opener and see what it is before I tape over and put in mailbox “wrong address”. 

It’s a nice card with a lengthy hand written note inside.  It’s talking about helping each other through hard times and such and how proud of them they are. 

I’ve got new for you mr/Mrs moss.  You’re not exactly up on current events. Despite whatever correspondence you may have had, “Beth” and “Maggie” haven’t thought much about you to tell you they moved 13 years ago.  Seems like we’ve got deeper rooted family issues than you thought.

Not even a gift card inside or cash.  So know I’m even debating resealing and putting in the mailbox with “wrong address”. The “human” in me says to do so.  The realist in me says these guys don’t even know each other that much.

And yes, I’m a smart [BLEEP] and [BLEEP]. I realize I should have sent it back front the get-go. But I’m not your normal person. I love gathering intel

Maybe it’s some little old lady with dementia and she can’t remember their new address.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(12-26-2021, 09:29 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 08:29 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m sure we all get mail addressed to the previous owners.  From what I’m told, the previous owners divorced and sold.  Here we are!  Well, after 13 years in this house, we get a Christmas card for the wife and the child.  It’s double stamped.  You know that [BLEEP] has a gift card or money in it. 

Maybe it’s some little old lady with dementia and she can’t remember their new address.

Could be.  Now you’ve got me curious!  I’ll now have to find the county of the return address and look up the property appraisers website and bounce that of the info I already know to determine a proper age.  

Although, I’m told the mom had cancer vet and dad was a jackass and divorced her.  That was 13 yrs ago.  Or more.  So I’m not sure how much the story would change.  

I’ve got research to do brothers and sisters. I’ll get back with my findings.

(12-26-2021, 09:38 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 09:29 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Maybe it’s some little old lady with dementia and she can’t remember their new address.

Could be.  Now you’ve got me curious!  I’ll now have to find the county of the return address and look up the property appraisers website and bounce that of the info I already know to determine a proper age.  

Although, I’m told the mom had cancer vet and dad was a jackass and divorced her.  That was 13 yrs ago.  Or more.  So I’m not sure how much the story would change.  

Who sends cards and letters through the mail anymore? That’s old school and why I’m assuming it’s someone on the older side.

(12-26-2021, 09:48 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 09:38 PM)Jags Wrote: Could be.  Now you’ve got me curious!  I’ll now have to find the county of the return address and look up the property appraisers website and bounce that of the info I already know to determine a proper age.  

Who sends cards and letters through the mail anymore? That’s old school and why I’m assuming it’s someone on the older side.

Well, that’s what we’re going to find out!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfs5NC03VZxVaONC-ekMp...Q&usqp=CAU]

(12-26-2021, 09:38 PM)Jags Wrote: Could be.  Now you’ve got me curious!  I’ll now have to find the county of the return address and look up the property appraisers website and bounce that of the info I already know to determine a proper age.  

I send cards at Christmas and a cherished few get birthday cards. I occasionally send a card to someone if there is a death in the family, a serious illness or injury or if someone needs encouragement. My mom and her sisters are the same way. It's just something I picked up from them. 

And I'm not that old.  Big Grin Although Jags would probably say different. Lol.

(12-27-2021, 12:11 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 09:48 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Who sends cards and letters through the mail anymore? That’s old school and why I’m assuming it’s someone on the older side.

I send cards at Christmas and a cherished few get birthday cards. I occasionally send a card to someone if there is a death in the family, a serious illness or injury or if someone needs encouragement. My mom and her sisters are the same way. It's just something I picked up from them. 

And I'm not that old.  Big Grin Although Jags would probably say different. Lol.

You’re not old…just old school! Wink

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 08:44 PM by Jags.)

Turns out it was an ancient 49 year old from the Carolinas.

J/k.

She’s 56. The letter lady not Americus.

(12-27-2021, 12:11 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 09:48 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Who sends cards and letters through the mail anymore? That’s old school and why I’m assuming it’s someone on the older side.

I’d never call you old!  I like you.  I’d just call you exactly one decade older than me!  Big Grin 

I can’t help the way the cookie crumbles kid!

(12-27-2021, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Turns out it was an ancient 49 year old from the Carolinas. 

J/k.

She’s 56.  The letter lady not Americus.

(12-27-2021, 12:11 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I send cards at Christmas and a cherished few get birthday cards. I occasionally send a card to someone if there is a death in the family, a serious illness or injury or if someone needs encouragement. My mom and her sisters are the same way. It's just something I picked up from them. 

I’d never call you old!  I like you.  I’d just call you exactly one decade older than me!  Big Grin 

I can’t help the way the cookie crumbles kid!

I like you too. That's why I give you a hard time. And you remind me of my little brother. Lol

We had this problem for a few years, sellers had young twins and some distant relatives sent a box to [our] house every year. The sellers were still in town and was able to google their new address and dropped it off the day before xmas the first year. By the third year, she texted me to let me know that packages were on the way before we even got them!

This was the first year that we haven't gotten something for them, it will be our fifth xmas here.

I feel seen.

All my fambly is out of state, and the nieces and nephews are old enough that they all want gift cards and cash for gifts, so Bezos doesn't get my business anymore.

I nearly soiled myself when mom-in-law stated she sends out around 200 xmas cards. I couldn't fathom digging that deep down the rabbit hole of former contacts to get to that number.

For years, a bakery in New York would send that swirly cinnamon bread to our house, addressed to the previous owners.  

It was really really delicious.

We’re the only people to live in our house. Whoever lives here next, whenever that may be, will be getting our mail for years. I still get mail for my kids who have moved out years ago.