Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2023, 06:11 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-16-2023, 05:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 06:37 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I never knew No Country For Old Men was a book. I thought the movie was great. I'm going to have to read that book now.

I’ll have to read it as well. The two books of his I’ve read so far are excellent, and books are always better than the movies. With one exception. Stanley Kubrick made The Shining so much better than the book, to Stephen King’s frustration. King finally got a movie made that was faithful to the book and it sucked.

It's interesting to think about the dominant art-forms of various eras in history.  In the 1700s and 1800s it was painting, sculpture, and music, and we still go to museums and people still listen to classical music from that era.  Right now, the dominant art form seems to be video- television and the movies.  Kubrick, Spielberg, and others like them might be the Beethoven and Rembrandt of our era, and their art will probably be admired 200 years from now in the same way.  Dr. Strangelove was made 60 years ago, and I still enjoy it.  Same with Charlie Chaplin, from 100 years ago.  Great art survives, and the great artists of today seem to be the ones making movies.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-16-2023, 05:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-16-2023, 05:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ll have to read it as well. The two books of his I’ve read so far are excellent, and books are always better than the movies. With one exception. Stanley Kubrick made The Shining so much better than the book, to Stephen King’s frustration. King finally got a movie made that was faithful to the book and it sucked.

Here's another exception to the "book is better than the movie" rule: The Godfather.

Maybe not an exception, but an interesting case is Jurassic Park.  The book wasn't out yet while the movie was already in development.   The book turned out OK, but the movie was better.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

China's latest street food fad is stir fried stones.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/suodi...index.html

(06-22-2023, 01:57 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: China's latest street food fad is stir fried stones. 

Seems like an disordered eaters dream.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2023, 10:58 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

It's being reported now the Navy knew the day the submersible went missing that it had imploded. The sound of the implosion was picked up by SOSUS (Sound Surveillance System), which is a worldwide array of acoustic sensors on the ocean floor. They passed that information on to the Coast Guard on the day it went missing. This explains why the U.S. provided few resources for the search.

Live updates | US Navy acoustic system detected ‘anomaly’ that was likely implosion, official says – Hartford Courant

(06-22-2023, 01:57 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: China's latest street food fad is stir fried stones. 

I had a great sirloin at a Black Rock last week!   Banana
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Good rule of thumb:

Before you shop around online for updated insurance quotes, purchase a cheap burner phone and use that number first..

I shopped around last week and I got Hiroshima'd with insurance companies and quotes.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(06-23-2023, 01:19 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Good rule of thumb:

Before you shop around online for updated insurance quotes, purchase a cheap burner phone and use that number first..

I shopped around last week and I got Hiroshima'd with insurance companies and quotes.

Or just use Google voice for free….lol

(06-23-2023, 01:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

I forgot about that lol

I used to use that back in the day for ummm.. Charity work!! 

Yeah, charity work!

(06-23-2023, 01:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

I had to look this up. Didn’t even know such a thing existed.

I must be a Luddite.

(06-23-2023, 02:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 01:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Or just use Google voice for free….lol

I had to look this up. Didn’t even know such a thing existed.

I must be a Luddite.

But you’re our Luddite and we love you anyway. Tongue

(06-23-2023, 01:51 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 01:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Or just use Google voice for free….lol

I forgot about that lol

Yeah, charity work!

I’m thinking the charity work was done for you, not by you. Laughing

(06-23-2023, 05:44 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 02:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had to look this up. Didn’t even know such a thing existed.

I must be a Luddite.

But you’re our Luddite and we love you anyway. Tongue

(06-23-2023, 01:51 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I forgot about that lol

Yeah, charity work!

I’m thinking the charity work was done for you, not by you. Laughing

No comment lolol

I ordered a part for my motorcycle. According to the USPS tracker, it was supposed to arrive on Friday. I was skeptical. I check its progress on occasion and see that it finally arrived in Jacksonville Friday morning. Definitely not in time to be delivered on Friday, but that's what I expected. I check it this morning and according to the website, five hours after it arrived at the Jacksonville sorting facility, it shows up at the Nashville, TN sorting facility. WTH?

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2023, 12:39 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-24-2023, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I ordered a part for my motorcycle. According to the USPS tracker, it was supposed to arrive on Friday. I was skeptical. I check its progress on occasion and see that it finally arrived in Jacksonville Friday morning. Definitely not in time to be delivered on Friday, but that's what I expected. I check it this morning and according to the website, five hours after it arrived at the Jacksonville sorting facility, it shows up at the Nashville, TN sorting facility. WTH?

My friend had a similar experience.  He lives in Reno.  His package went back and forth between Reno and San Jose twice before it actually arrived on the third trip back.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Maybe the package was just identifying as being in transit..

I wonder how something like that happens.

This weather…

https://youtu.be/TzFnYcIqj6I

So, yesterday during that really nasty storm, we had a huge crack of lightning that hit the transformer out in front of my neighbors home, which knocked out power for a bunch of us in my neighborhood.

About 2 hours later, after the Town of Green Cove was out and got us all up and running again, the wife and I sat down and went about on our normal routine.. I turned the TV on, nothing.. Not even my surround sound.. Apparently, I was running everything off of a bad surge protector and it fried my set up lol.

So, it only being around 3pm or so, we decided to jump in the car and head to Best Buy. Ended up getting a 75 inch Sony Bavaria (sp?) and a Yamaha 5 in 1 home theater set up.. Really nice! Top notch for me anyway. Paid a nice chunk of change, but I figured it was time, as our older ser up was over 10 years old. I jumped from 1080p to 4k, upgradable to 8k.. Ready for football season!!

Apparently we weren't the only ones that had problems with that lightning strike, our neighbors across the street lost their Generac (supposedly about a $15k generator, supposed to power a 3 story home). My other neighbor lost her refrigerator and other appliances. That was a bad storm, but it moved me up in the technological sense lol

(06-25-2023, 12:59 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So, yesterday during that really nasty storm, we had a huge crack of lightning that hit the transformer out in front of my neighbors home, which knocked out power for a bunch of us in my neighborhood.

About 2 hours later, after the Town of Green Cove was out and got us all up and running again, the wife and I sat down and went about on our normal routine.. I turned the TV on, nothing.. Not even my surround sound.. Apparently, I was running everything off of a bad surge protector and it fried my set up lol.

So, it only being around 3pm or so, we decided to jump in the car and head to Best Buy. Ended up getting a 75 inch Sony Bavaria (sp?) and a Yamaha 5 in 1 home theater set up.. Really nice! Top notch for me anyway. Paid a nice chunk of change, but I figured it was time, as our older ser up was over 10 years old. I jumped from 1080p to 4k, upgradable to 8k.. Ready for football season!!

Apparently we weren't the only ones that had problems with that lightning strike, our neighbors across the street lost their Generac (supposedly about a $15k generator, supposed to power a 3 story home). My other neighbor lost her refrigerator and other appliances. That was a bad storm, but it moved me up in the technological sense lol

But, BUT, did you also buy a good surge protector?