Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 10:18 PM by Jags.)

(03-27-2020, 10:12 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 10:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: 10 or so days without a drink for me. Real fun.

What the hell is wrong with you man?

I only made it 8 days.

8-12, y’all are saints.

But good for you SF.  That is if you’re actively trying to slow down  or quit.  If so, keep it up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't remember how I got started on it, but this stuff has occupied a warm place in my belly for the last couple of months. I've drank more than I wish to admit. A shot glassful tossed back every so often makes me happy. 

[Image: mi_23452.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fm=jpg&q=20]

(03-27-2020, 10:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't remember how I got started on it, but this stuff has occupied a warm place in my belly for the last couple of months. I've drank more than I wish to admit. A shot glassful tossed back every so often makes me happy. 

[Image: mi_23452.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fm=jpg&q=20]

I wish alcohol made me happy.  It doesn't.   All it does for me is lower my IQ about 10 points per drink.  The only happy drug I still take is caffeine.  Which is why my go-to alcoholic beverage is rum and coke or rum and diet coke.

I've pretty much quit drinking. It's too expensive in bars now and like TRM, it doesn't make me happy. I will have a beer at home or some bourbon but that's about it.

I was sneaking nips (you may call them miniatures in FL) into the Jags games a couple of years ago. Stuck 3-4 (all plastic, no metal) in my underwear and enjoyed them during the game. Refilled them from the 1.75 at home.

I would have offered Rico behind me one but, well, they were in my underwear.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(03-27-2020, 10:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: 10 or so days without a drink for me. Real fun.

I only made it 8 days.

(03-27-2020, 10:16 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 10:12 PM)Rico Wrote: What the hell is wrong with you man?

I only made it 8 days.

8-12, y’all are saints.

But good for you SF.  That is if you’re actively trying to slow down  or quit.  If so, keep it up.

Plenty Rico haha. Thanks Jags. Nothing serious really, just on a diet.

I only made it 8 days.

At least 6 months for me. Don't miss it.

BTW, I noticed that this week's Publix flier had four pages of wine ads. I guess they're playing to the social distancing market.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-27-2020, 05:33 PM)PF* Wrote: I've had Jefferson Ocean and liked it. Didn't know there were different "vintages" of it.

It actually is different "voyages". They do the final aging at sea, crossing the equator, and going to different continents during the voyage. You can see the ships logs here http://jeffersonsbourbon.com/ocean-voyages/

The motion, and the differing temperatures can change the flavors. I do drink voyage 18 on the rocks as it is bottled at cask strength.

(03-28-2020, 01:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 10:12 PM)Rico Wrote: What the hell is wrong with you man?

I only made it 8 days.

(03-27-2020, 10:16 PM)Jags Wrote: 8-12, y’all are saints.

Plenty Rico haha. Thanks Jags. Nothing serious really, just on a diet.

I've lost 50 pounds.  Just maintaining now.  As a matter of fact, the last time I played golf I didn't like the way NYC was checking out my butt.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-28-2020, 04:28 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 05:33 PM)PF* Wrote: I've had Jefferson Ocean and liked it. Didn't know there were different "vintages" of it.

It actually is different "voyages". They do the final aging at sea, crossing the equator, and going to different continents during the voyage. You can see the ships logs here http://jeffersonsbourbon.com/ocean-voyages/

The motion, and the differing temperatures can change the flavors. I do drink voyage 18 on the rocks as it is bottled at cask strength.

That's pretty cool, the different voyages. I had some JO a couple of years ago but don't remember much about it.
Refresh me on cask strength- is that as it comes out of the barrel without further dilution to say 80 pr 86 proof?

Given that, is there a labeled proof on the bottle you have?

(03-28-2020, 05:14 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 01:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Plenty Rico haha. Thanks Jags. Nothing serious really, just on a diet.

I've lost 50 pounds.  Just maintaining now.  As a matter of fact, the last time I played golf I didn't like the way NYC was checking out my butt.

I've seen you mention it, good for you and I'm jealous. I've got like 10-15 more to go, no excuses during quarantine. 

And yeah, always gotta keep one eye on that shifty NYC fella.

(03-28-2020, 05:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 05:14 PM)Rico Wrote: I've lost 50 pounds.  Just maintaining now.  As a matter of fact, the last time I played golf I didn't like the way NYC was checking out my butt.

I've seen you mention it, good for you and I'm jealous. I've got like 10-15 more to go, no excuses during quarantine. 

I weighed in today at Publix while scavenging for eggs. I have refrained from adding the Corona Five so far, which is amazing since working from home means about 4,000 fewer steps each day on average.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-28-2020, 08:47 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 05:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I've seen you mention it, good for you and I'm jealous. I've got like 10-15 more to go, no excuses during quarantine. 

I weighed in today at Publix while scavenging for eggs. I have refrained from adding the Corona Five so far, which is amazing since working from home means about 4,000 fewer steps each day on average.

Complete opposite for me. Steps are non-negotiable but I often compensate with a social hour refreshment session afterwards. 

How was the egg supply? Out here, eggs and paper products are still extremely hard to come by.

(03-28-2020, 05:14 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 01:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Plenty Rico haha. Thanks Jags. Nothing serious really, just on a diet.

It must be that inordinately long waggle. 

I've actually lost weight during this thing. 
Probably the stress of being out of work with no end in sight.

(03-29-2020, 08:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 05:14 PM)Rico Wrote: I've lost 50 pounds.  Just maintaining now.  As a matter of fact, the last time I played golf I didn't like the way NYC was checking out my butt.

It must be that inordinately long waggle. 

I've actually lost weight during this thing. 
Probably the stress of being out of work with no end in sight.

Sorry to hear that NYC.

(03-28-2020, 05:21 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 04:28 PM)Sammy Wrote: It actually is different "voyages". They do the final aging at sea, crossing the equator, and going to different continents during the voyage. You can see the ships logs here http://jeffersonsbourbon.com/ocean-voyages/

That's pretty cool, the different voyages. I had some JO a couple of years ago but don't remember much about it.
Refresh me on cask strength- is that as it comes out of the barrel without further dilution to say 80 pr 86 proof?

I always assumed Cask strength, Barrel strength, or Barrel proof were all the same ... which in my mind was uncut. I checked the three I have on hand - Voyage 18, and it is 112 proof at 56 ABV. Both the voyage 16 & 19 are 90 Proof at 45 ABV. I also have some other barrel proof bourbons, and a couple are over 130 proof.  Most of the lower proofs I prefer neat, but once it gets over 100, I tame it down on the rocks ... But I will take a neat sip just to see if it is smooth enough before the ice.

I've been collecting bourbons lately, I would list all of them I have purchased (not drank), and I probably have at least 3k, and maybe 4k worth that I don't plan to consume anytime soon. Became sort of a hobby that I never knew was so popular.

(03-29-2020, 03:25 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 05:21 PM)PF* Wrote: That's pretty cool, the different voyages. I had some JO a couple of years ago but don't remember much about it.

I always assumed Cask strength, Barrel strength, or Barrel proof were all the same ... which in my mind was uncut. I checked the three I have on hand - Voyage 18, and it is 112 proof at 56 ABV. Both the voyage 16 & 19 are 90 Proof at 45 ABV. I also have some other barrel proof bourbons, and a couple are over 130 proof.  Most of the lower proofs I prefer neat, but once it gets over 100, I tame it down on the rocks ... But I will take a neat sip just to see if it is smooth enough before the ice.

I've been collecting bourbons lately, I would list all of them I have purchased (not drank), and I probably have at least 3k, and maybe 4k worth that I don't plan to consume anytime soon. Became sort of a hobby that I never knew was so popular.

Bourbon collecting is really popular out my way. I've been gifted a few bottles that I'm not supposed to drink.  Sad

(03-29-2020, 03:25 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 05:21 PM)PF* Wrote: That's pretty cool, the different voyages. I had some JO a couple of years ago but don't remember much about it.

Whoa, 130 proof has to burn, no? 
Not a surprise that different batches come out at different strengths, I am surprised that they are drinkable/enjoyable at such high proofs.

I just bought the pot still bottle of Willett and am enjoying it- I think it's 90-92 proof, somewhere around there. The Yellowstone that my friend had was the best ever.

(03-29-2020, 06:20 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 03:25 PM)Sammy Wrote: I always assumed Cask strength, Barrel strength, or Barrel proof were all the same ... which in my mind was uncut. I checked the three I have on hand - Voyage 18, and it is 112 proof at 56 ABV. Both the voyage 16 & 19 are 90 Proof at 45 ABV. I also have some other barrel proof bourbons, and a couple are over 130 proof.  Most of the lower proofs I prefer neat, but once it gets over 100, I tame it down on the rocks ... But I will take a neat sip just to see if it is smooth enough before the ice.

Whoa, 130 proof has to burn, no? 
Not a surprise that different batches come out at different strengths, I am surprised that they are drinkable/enjoyable at such high proofs.

I just bought the pot still bottle of Willett and am enjoying it- I think it's 90-92 proof, somewhere around there. The Yellowstone that my friend had was the best ever.

No, I haven't been drinking those higher proofs. The JO Cask 112 and Makers Mark private selection at around 108 is about the highest proof I have tasted.

I will have to pick up Yellowstone, I have never considered it. The Willett Pot Still I have is 94 proof.

Some of the higher proof bourbons I have -
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B519 is 122.2 proof.
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C919 is 136.8 proof.
Bulleit Bourbon Barrel Strength is 124 proof.
1792 Full proof is 125 proof.

I haven't opened any of those bottles, but I have more than 1 of each if I decide to sample any of them.

The Bourbon I appreciate the most would be Eagle Rare ... Best Bourbon for the cost, and about $50 lower the JO I would consider my favorite. One that you see a lot about is Blanton's ... I do have many bottles of those.

(03-28-2020, 09:19 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 08:47 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I weighed in today at Publix while scavenging for eggs. I have refrained from adding the Corona Five so far, which is amazing since working from home means about 4,000 fewer steps each day on average.

Complete opposite for me. Steps are non-negotiable but I often compensate with a social hour refreshment session afterwards. 

How was the egg supply? Out here, eggs and paper products are still extremely hard to come by.

Eggs arrive every other day or so. Paper products are gone within 15 minutes of store opening every day.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-30-2020, 10:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 09:19 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Complete opposite for me. Steps are non-negotiable but I often compensate with a social hour refreshment session afterwards. 

Eggs arrive every other day or so. Paper products are gone within 15 minutes of store opening every day.

I was in Walmart yesterday at 2:00pm and they must've just put some TP out.  Everybody was carrying their package around like they had won some kind of prize.

Eggs and milk section were barren...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]