Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(12-11-2020, 05:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I didn't want to hijack the other thread but HB, have you really never had a Moscow Mule? 

Is it not a popular drink back East?

I'm sure it's popular here. Being as my wife is a teetotaler, buying the ingredients to concoct them at home for just me isn't worth the effort, so I've become a lazy drinker. I don't go to bars and the few places my wife likes to eat don't offer them. It would have to put in my hand for the opportunity to try one. 

It's clearly evident my wife is a liability to my drinking habit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-12-2020, 09:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 05:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I didn't want to hijack the other thread but HB, have you really never had a Moscow Mule? 

Is it not a popular drink back East?

I'm sure it's popular here. Being as my wife is a teetotaler, buying the ingredients to concoct them at home for just me isn't worth the effort, so I've become a lazy drinker. I don't go to bars and the few places my wife likes to eat don't offer them. It would have to put in my hand for the opportunity to try one. 

Gotcha. They are extremely popular out this way, they aren't too bad either.

(12-12-2020, 05:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 09:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm sure it's popular here. Being as my wife is a teetotaler, buying the ingredients to concoct them at home for just me isn't worth the effort, so I've become a lazy drinker. I don't go to bars and the few places my wife likes to eat don't offer them. It would have to put in my hand for the opportunity to try one. 

Gotcha. They are extremely popular out this way, they aren't too bad either.

For those into making mules at home, I've landed on a brand of ginger beer lately that I really dig for mules. 

"Q Spectacular" 

I recommend it. Plenty of ginger punch and not overly sweetened.

(12-13-2020, 01:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 05:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Gotcha. They are extremely popular out this way, they aren't too bad either.

For those into making mules at home, I've landed on a brand of ginger beer lately that I really dig for mules. 

"Q Spectacular" 

I recommend it. Plenty of ginger punch and not overly sweetened.

I'll give it a look.

Liquor store was out of my usual 18pk of miller, so I bought a 12pk of MGD, same price but I feel like I was cheated out of 6 beers lol
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

I had a wintery set of cocktails last night. First for after dinner we enjoyed a blend of di Sarrano, Bailey's, and peppermint schnapps with a sprinkle of candy cane dust on top. Was served room temperature and had a cool minty flavor. The second was fireball and Stoli vanilla, cranberry, and a splash of ginger ale, served on the rocks in a highball glass. Tasted like the Atomic Fireball candy. A good night!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Mix one part Crown Royal Salted Caramel and one part Crown Royal Apple over some ice.  It's a very tasty cocktail perfect with dessert after a meal.  I had some of that this past weekend while sitting around the bonfire.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020, 11:03 PM by mikesez.)

This pandemic has done a number on my tastes in alcohol.
I'm out of homebrew, I haven't bought craft brew in a while, I just buy Beck's.
I found an old bottle of Canadian Club Rye in the pantry, wasn't expecting much from it, but it's my new favorite. Almost empty now.
Gotta replace that and the bottle of white rum I'm almost at the bottom of. Any recommendations on either? I'm thinking Jim Beam for the Rye and Appleton for the rum but I'm not sure. I enjoy them either neat or with unflavored soda water.
Almost at the bottom of the bottle of Jack too, but I dont think I'll get another. Because it only goes good with coke or ginger ale, IMO. It's too, I dunno, oily or smoky or something to stand alone. I bought Zevia to mix the rest of it with cuz I'm hoping to lose weight and aspartame sweetened soda gives me jitters.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-15-2020, 11:00 PM)mikesez Wrote: This pandemic has done a number on my tastes in alcohol.
I found an old bottle of Canadian Club Rye in the pantry, wasn't expecting much from it, but it's my new favorite.  Almost empty now.
Gotta replace that and the bottle of white rum I'm almost at the bottom of.  Any recommendations on either? I'm thinking Jim Beam for the Rye and Appleton for the rum but I'm not sure.  I enjoy them either neat or with unflavored soda water.
Almost at the bottom of the bottle of Jack too, but I dont think I'll get another. Because it only goes good with coke or ginger ale, IMO. It's too, I dunno, oily or smoky or something to stand alone.  I bought Zevia to mix the rest of it with cuz I'm hoping to lose weight and aspartame sweetened soda gives me jitters.

NYC is a rum aficionado. I think he's given some recommendations somewhere in this thread before.

(12-16-2020, 01:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 11:00 PM)mikesez Wrote: This pandemic has done a number on my tastes in alcohol.
I found an old bottle of Canadian Club Rye in the pantry, wasn't expecting much from it, but it's my new favorite.  Almost empty now.
Gotta replace that and the bottle of white rum I'm almost at the bottom of.  Any recommendations on either? I'm thinking Jim Beam for the Rye and Appleton for the rum but I'm not sure.  I enjoy them either neat or with unflavored soda water.
Almost at the bottom of the bottle of Jack too, but I dont think I'll get another. Because it only goes good with coke or ginger ale, IMO. It's too, I dunno, oily or smoky or something to stand alone.  I bought Zevia to mix the rest of it with cuz I'm hoping to lose weight and aspartame sweetened soda gives me jitters.

NYC is a rum aficionado. I think he's given some recommendations somewhere in this thread before.

Three really good sipping rums I dig are

Flor de Caña 12
Ron Zacapa 23
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Did a tequila tasting the other night with 4 pals. Everyone brought 2 or 3 to try. 

Lots of great stuff.  The DJ 1942 pretty much stole the show (shocker), but folks were impressed with the Dobel Diamante considering pricepoint and the Don Julio 70 Cristalino was a surprise holiday season favorite as it has strong peppermint notes. Very different than their non-filtered anejo.

(12-19-2020, 12:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 01:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: NYC is a rum aficionado. I think he's given some recommendations somewhere in this thread before.

Three really good sipping rums I dig are

Flor de Caña 12
Ron Zacapa 23

Did a tequila tasting the other night with 4 pals. Everyone brought 2 or 3 to try. 

Lots of great stuff.  The DJ 1942 pretty much stole the show (shocker), but folks were impressed with the Dobel Diamante considering pricepoint and the Don Julio 70 Cristalino was a surprise holiday season favorite as it has strong peppermint notes. Very different than their non-filtered anejo.

The big triangular bottle?

I'm enjoying a lovely Patron margarita.

OK, two Patron margaritas.

So far...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-14-2020, 11:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I had a wintery set of cocktails last night. First for after dinner we enjoyed a blend of di Sarrano, Bailey's, and peppermint schnapps with a sprinkle of candy cane dust on top. Was served room temperature and had a cool minty flavor. The second was fireball and Stoli vanilla, cranberry, and a splash of ginger ale, served on the rocks in a highball glass. Tasted like the Atomic Fireball candy. A good night!

(12-14-2020, 04:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Mix one part Crown Royal Salted Caramel and one part Crown Royal Apple over some ice.  It's a very tasty cocktail perfect with dessert after a meal.  I had some of that this past weekend while sitting around the bonfire.

All of these sound excellent.  I see a trip to the liquor store in my near future.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(12-19-2020, 04:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 12:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Three really good sipping rums I dig are

Flor de Caña 12
Ron Zacapa 23

The big triangular bottle?

Yes. 

[Image: mi-don-julio-1942-16626c69ea876356.jpeg?...m=jpg&q=20]

(12-20-2020, 04:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 04:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: The big triangular bottle?

Yes. 

[Image: mi-don-julio-1942-16626c69ea876356.jpeg?...m=jpg&q=20]

That'd be the one. Just had some myself.

Many moons ago I remember a black licorice liquor with an Italian name that was in a tall triangular bottle and amber colored.

In Navy A school a few of us went out shopping and then ended up in an Italian restaurant/bar doing shots of this stuff. We practically carried one guy back and set him on the floor of his room with his back against the wall. We were getting him to drink some water and waiting for him to sober up a little before he hit the rack. He was talking one second and then leaned over and threw up into a pair of brand new $100 sneakers he purchased that day. He only wore them once to try on and they still had the tags attached.

(12-20-2020, 10:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Many moons ago I remember a black licorice liquor with an Italian name that was in a tall triangular bottle and amber colored.

In Navy A school a few of us went out shopping and then ended up in an Italian restaurant/bar doing shots of this stuff. We practically carried one guy back and set him on the floor of his room with his back against the wall. We were getting him to drink some water and waiting for him to sober up a little before he hit the rack. He was talking one second and then leaned over and threw up into a pair of brand new $100 sneakers he purchased that day. He only wore them once to try on and they still had the tags attached.

This made me think of the Jagermeister shots they used to twist my arm to drink at the enlisted club. The following mornings were always a lesson in abject misery.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 10:31 AM by RicoTx.)

(12-20-2020, 10:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Many moons ago I remember a black licorice liquor with an Italian name that was in a tall triangular bottle and amber colored.

I had a similar experience with Ouzo.  I was all of 19 and had won our company softball team a big game with a couple of dingers, so my teammates were 'treating me' to some shots.  Being underage and previous drinking experiences had been limited to Boone's farm apple wine and usually beer, I had no idea what I was doing.  The last thing I remember was sitting on the curb outside the bar with my arms on my knees and head down, depositing the contents of my stomach in the gutter for quite a while.

That was my first and last experience with Ouzo and to this day I cannot eat licorice.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2020, 09:57 PM by mikesez.)

(12-23-2020, 10:25 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

I had a similar experience with Ouzo.  I was all of 19 and had won our company softball team a big game with a couple of dingers, so my teammates were 'treating me' to some shots.  Being underage and previous drinking experiences had been limited to Boone's farm apple wine and usually beer, I had no idea what I was doing.  The last thing I remember was sitting on the curb outside the bar with my arms on my knees and head down, depositing the contents of my stomach in the gutter for quite a while.

That was my first and last experience with Ouzo and to this day I cannot eat licorice.

Ouzo is probably what home biscuit had. But not all ouzo is licorice flavored.
Some of it just tastes like grapes.
Very similar liquor in Italy called Grappa. 
If I'm ever in a fancy italian restaurant I might ask for Grappa.  Like tequila, grappa comes gold or silver.
The other famous italian liquors are limoncello and fernet.  If you're in a really fancy place they'll bring you a platter of all three at the end of your meal, to aid digestion.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Sambuca?