Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2023, 09:44 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

So last night for Fathers Day, the wife and I had a nice steak, baked potato and asparagus for a special dinner. With that dinner, my wife bought me a bottle of red wine.. Not a real big wine drinker, but akshually.. It wasn't bad at all!! I really enjoyed it. Even having another glass tonight (with a side of indica). She got the bottle from Publix, the name is Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Rose Wine. Really good!

I guess my question for the wine connoisseurs here is, are there any others that are similar or better that I can try? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2023, 11:13 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 3 times in total.)

(06-19-2023, 09:43 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So last night for Fathers Day, the wife and I had a nice steak, baked potato and asparagus for a special dinner. With that dinner, my wife bought me a bottle of red wine.. Not a real big wine drinker, but akshually.. It wasn't bad at all!! I really enjoyed it. Even having another glass tonight (with a side of indica). She got the bottle from Publix, the name is Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Rose Wine. Really good!

I guess my question for the wine connoisseurs here is, are there any others that are similar or better that I can try? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

I think that winery is up near Seattle.  We went there when visiting some friends up that way years back.  Not sure if my wife has had that particular bottle, but she does generally like what that winery puts out.

Our favorite winery is Belle Glos.  They put out some amazing reds.  Their “Meiomi” Pinot Noir and also the “Meiomi” Red Blend are two of our favorites and I think they’re both under $20.  Velvety, a tad sweet on the finish but I wouldn’t put it in the sweet category like say the St Augustine Winery’s offerings.  The red blend is a little sweeter than the Pinot.  For what it’s worth, I can appreciate both sweet and dry wines.  My wife generally doesn’t do sweet. We both really enjoy these and you’ll find Meiomi is on a lot of restaurants’ wine lists as well.

They have a new Meiomi Pinot Noir called Meiomi Bright Pinot Noir. We didn't care as much for that one.

(06-21-2023, 12:20 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 09:43 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So last night for Fathers Day, the wife and I had a nice steak, baked potato and asparagus for a special dinner. With that dinner, my wife bought me a bottle of red wine.. Not a real big wine drinker, but akshually.. It wasn't bad at all!! I really enjoyed it. Even having another glass tonight (with a side of indica). She got the bottle from Publix, the name is Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Rose Wine. Really good!

Thanks for the help!

I think that winery is up near Seattle.  We went there when visiting some friends up that way years back.  Not sure if my wife has had that particular bottle, but she does generally like what that winery puts out.

Our favorite winery is Belle Glos.  They put out some amazing reds.  Their “Meiomi” Pinot Noir and also the “Meiomi” Red Blend are two of our favorites and I think they’re both under $20.  Velvety, a tad sweet on the finish but I wouldn’t put it in the sweet category like say the St Augustine Winery’s offerings.  The red blend is a little sweeter than the Pinot.  For what it’s worth, I can appreciate both sweet and dry wines.  My wife generally doesn’t do sweet.  We both really enjoy these and you’ll find Meiomi is on a lot of restaurants’ wine lists as well.

They have a new Meiomi Pinot Noir called Meiomi Bright Pinot Noir.  We didn't care as much for that one.

I checked out Belle Glos.. Looks interesting, I think we're going to order a bottle and check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation!

(06-21-2023, 01:44 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 12:20 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think that winery is up near Seattle.  We went there when visiting some friends up that way years back.  Not sure if my wife has had that particular bottle, but she does generally like what that winery puts out.

Our favorite winery is Belle Glos.  They put out some amazing reds.  Their “Meiomi” Pinot Noir and also the “Meiomi” Red Blend are two of our favorites and I think they’re both under $20.  Velvety, a tad sweet on the finish but I wouldn’t put it in the sweet category like say the St Augustine Winery’s offerings.  The red blend is a little sweeter than the Pinot.  For what it’s worth, I can appreciate both sweet and dry wines.  My wife generally doesn’t do sweet.  We both really enjoy these and you’ll find Meiomi is on a lot of restaurants’ wine lists as well.

They have a new Meiomi Pinot Noir called Meiomi Bright Pinot Noir.  We didn't care as much for that one.

I checked out Belle Glos.. Looks interesting, I think we're going to order a bottle and check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation!

You should be able to find these at ABC, Total wine and Publix.  Costco even has them if you’re a member.

Reviving this thread..... it was all the way on page 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: beerprayer.jpg]
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

[Image: 49-1-1024x1024.jpg]
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024, 05:03 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

So, I've been into bourbon for the past 10 years. I currently have about 110 bottles (probably more) of booze, mostly whiskey, in my collection which I've built over that time. I realize that's a kind of ridiculous amount of bottles to own and I'm not enthusiastic about expanding that number too much. I drink less now and in recent years, not that I was ever a lush, yet I still buy interesting bottles when presented with the opportunity to do so so it's not difficult to envision that number growing further. Most bottles in my collection are open. I'm in a local facebook group and my collection, as ridiculous as it is, is still peanuts compared to many others I've seen post who enjoy this spirit. I also really dig a good absinthe served traditionally with a cold water drip, sugar cube and absinthe spoon. Anyone here interested in either spirit to a similar degree?

Alrighty then. I'll just see myself off to AA.

(03-02-2024, 08:08 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Alrighty then.  I'll just see myself off to AA.

AA is for quitters.........      LOL

(03-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: So, I've been into bourbon for the past 10 years.  I currently have about 110 bottles (probably more) of booze, mostly whiskey, in my collection which I've built over that time.  I realize that's a kind of ridiculous amount of bottles to own and I'm not enthusiastic about expanding that number too much.  I drink less now and in recent years, not that I was ever a lush, yet I still buy interesting bottles when presented with the opportunity to do so so it's not difficult to envision that number growing further. Most bottles in my collection are open.  I'm in a local facebook group and my collection, as ridiculous as it is, is still peanuts compared to many others I've seen post who enjoy this spirit.  I also really dig a good absinthe served traditionally with a cold water drip, sugar cube and absinthe spoon.  Anyone here interested in either spirit to a similar degree?

I went on a brief bourbon excursion a few years ago. I didn’t get to try any of the high end stuff but the working man brands were interesting. I have an affinity for Knob Creek. The sweetness and the heat appeal to me. 

I’ve never had a genuine absinthe and always wanted to try one. They sound really tasty. 

Now off to AA, you lush.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024, 10:17 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-02-2024, 09:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: So, I've been into bourbon for the past 10 years.  I currently have about 110 bottles (probably more) of booze, mostly whiskey, in my collection which I've built over that time.  I realize that's a kind of ridiculous amount of bottles to own and I'm not enthusiastic about expanding that number too much.  I drink less now and in recent years, not that I was ever a lush, yet I still buy interesting bottles when presented with the opportunity to do so so it's not difficult to envision that number growing further. Most bottles in my collection are open.  I'm in a local facebook group and my collection, as ridiculous as it is, is still peanuts compared to many others I've seen post who enjoy this spirit.  I also really dig a good absinthe served traditionally with a cold water drip, sugar cube and absinthe spoon.  Anyone here interested in either spirit to a similar degree?

I went on a brief bourbon excursion a few years ago. I didn’t get to try any of the high end stuff but the working man brands were interesting. I have an affinity for Knob Creek. The sweetness and the heat appeal to me. 

I’ve never had a genuine absinthe and always wanted to try one. They sound really tasty. 

Now off to AA, you lush.

Lucid and Pernod absinthes are relatively easily obtainable locally and of very good quality in my opinion.  I don't know of any bar locally that serves absinthes in the traditional manner with a proper absinthe glass, spoon and cold water drip.  I have a couple of absinthe glasses and a couple of spoons and just manually drip cold bottled water as slowly as I can over the sugar cube until the cube is gone and you get a good louche in the absinthe.

My wife and I went to Europe for our honeymoon in 2015 and had brief stays in several cities.  I was able to convince her to pack light because often times the checked luggage is more expensive than the seat on the plane on intercontinental flights within Europe.  So we each had a backpack and a carry on and did laundry while we were over there for the couple of weeks we were. One of the cities we stayed in was Amsterdam.  Neither of us partake and that's not why we went there.  It just happened to be a connecting city for our multi-city trip.  I went into a liquor store in Amsterdam just to see what was what and if I could find anything whiskey wise or otherwise.  I asked the clerk/owner what he would recommend in his store that was "interesting" to a tourist who would likely not be back again any time soon.  He showed us some wines and pointed me to a particular absinthe called La Pontissalienne.  I took his recommendation and bought 2 bottles of it and some of the wine he recommended.  We did not carry it with us because we intended to stay packed light, but he shipped it to our home address and it was waiting for us when we arrived home.  I have not yet killed the first of those two bottles.  I drink from it sparingly because it wasn't available in the states the last I checked and it is quite good.  It was my first (and best) experience with drinking absinthe on its own and not as part of an ingredient in another cocktail.

I did not grow up a black licorice fan, but I really enjoyed absinthe from the get go which very much has a black licorice flavor.  I did get into the salty black licorice that's prevalent over in Scandinavia when I've been over there the couple times that I've been (once being part of the honeymoon), but that's distinctly different than the standard black licorice flavor that's common in jelly beans and other candies here..  I now actually don't mind black licorice jelly beans whenever I scoop one in a handful of jelly belly's or something similar.  If black licorice does anything for you, you should definitely give traditionally served absinthe a shot.  Even if if it doesn't, maybe you're like me and will like it anyway.

(03-02-2024, 09:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Now off to AA, you lush.

Regarding whiskey, I don't pay more than a couple hundred dollars for a bottle and it would have to be something special for me to do that.  I have bottles that have appreciated to much more than that, but just seeing something rare that the shop owner has priced at $700 or more doesn't do anything for me.  There's plenty of the regularly available stuff that's fantastic and I'm a big fan of $20 and $30 bottles like Evan Williams white label and Old Grand Dad bonded that many $60+ bottles don't hold a candle to.  I also really like Mellow Corn which is a bonded $15 bottle of corn whiskey.

I'm really not a bourbon drinker, I prefer my Scotch, always a Johnnie Walker blend. Currently, I have 3 bottles of JW on my bar, The Red, The Black, and Double Black.

Now, That being said, I do have 2 bottles of bourbon that are limited editions.

The first is Motorhead's Ace of Spades Bourbon. I have not opened this bottle yet, I plan to have it served at my Funeral so all my friends can say I bought them one last drink. Plan to go out with style, Lemmy would have wanted it that way.... LOL

[Image: IMG-0299.jpg]

The second one is Muhlenberg ‘John Prine’ Gold Kentucky Bourbon.

Only 6000 bottles of this were distilled and bottled. This is another one I plan to never open. Going to pass this one on to my Daughter.

https://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/the...y-bourbon/

[Image: IMG-0785.jpg]

Paid around $90 for each bottle. That's the most I've ever paid for a bottle of whiskey.

(03-03-2024, 07:31 AM)The Drifter Wrote: I'm really not a bourbon drinker, I prefer my Scotch, always a Johnnie Walker blend. Currently, I have 3 bottles of JW on my bar, The Red, The Black, and Double Black.

The first is Motorhead's Ace of Spades Bourbon. I have not opened this bottle yet, I plan to have it served at my Funeral so all my friends can say I bought them one last drink. Plan to go out with style, Lemmy would have wanted it that way.... LOL

Only 6000 bottles of this were distilled and bottled. This is another one I plan to never open. Going to pass this one on to my Daughter.

Paid around $90 for each bottle. That's the most I've ever paid for a bottle of whiskey.

That's really cool for a non-bourbon drinker.  I have a few scotches in my collection.  I really like Macallan and Lagavulin which have very different profiles from each other.  Macallan is finished in Sherry casks and is sweeter and smoother.  Lagavulin is very earthy and grassy.  I really enjoy them both though.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 11:23 AM by The Drifter. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-03-2024, 09:53 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 07:31 AM)The Drifter Wrote: I'm really not a bourbon drinker, I prefer my Scotch, always a Johnnie Walker blend. Currently, I have 3 bottles of JW on my bar, The Red, The Black, and Double Black.

That's really cool for a non-bourbon drinker.  I have a few scotches in my collection.  I really like Macallan and Lagavulin which have very different profiles from each other.  Macallan is finished in Sherry casks and is sweeter and smoother.  Lagavulin is very earthy and grassy.  I really enjoy them both though.

That Macallan sounds really good, seems like it would be to my personal taste. I'll see if I can find a bottle in my neck of the woods and try it. Maybe my favorite Tavern has it. I'll ask my Friend Carmi, she's a bartender there...........

They say scotch is an acquired taste, and I believe it. I've had a few different varieties, and it just doesn't float my boat. Rye is okay, but it's a little too spicy for my liking.

My drinking has diminished quite a bit in the last year, which makes justifying the price of an expensive bottle of liquor a little more difficult. Right now, I'm working on a bottle of Woodford Reserve my kids gifted me for Christmas. I enjoy a two or three finger pour over a few ice cubes once in a while. When that is gone, I'll probably try something I haven't had before. My biggest fear is purchasing something I won't like. But the chances of that are slim. I can usually sip on a decent spirit until it's gone. The only one I could not finish was Four Roses. That stuff is awful.

I guess this would be the time to splurge on something a little more expensive since bourbon has become more of a treat nowadays.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 01:36 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-03-2024, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They say scotch is an acquired taste, and I believe it. I've had a few different varieties, and it just doesn't float my boat. Rye is okay, but it's a little too spicy for my liking.

My drinking has diminished quite a bit in the last year, which makes justifying the price of an expensive bottle of liquor a little more difficult. Right now, I'm working on a bottle of Woodford Reserve my kids gifted me for Christmas. I enjoy a two or three finger pour over a few ice cubes once in a while. When that is gone, I'll probably try something I haven't had before. My biggest fear is purchasing something I won't like. But the chances of that are slim. I can usually sip on a decent spirit until it's gone. The only one I could not finish was Four Roses. That stuff is awful.

I guess this would be the time to splurge on something a little more expensive since bourbon has become more of a treat nowadays.

Which 4 Roses was it?  I really like their single barrel expression but haven't ventured into anything else from them.  Single barrels can vary barrel to barrel and by extension bottle to bottle.  If you had that, it's possible you just got a bottle from a bad barrel which should be rare for them.

(03-03-2024, 01:24 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They say scotch is an acquired taste, and I believe it. I've had a few different varieties, and it just doesn't float my boat. Rye is okay, but it's a little too spicy for my liking.

Which 4 Roses was it?  I really like their single barrel expression but haven't ventured into anything else from them.  Single barrels can vary barrel to barrel and by extension bottle to bottle.  If you had that, it's possible you just got a bottle from a bad barrel which should be rare for them.

I don't recall. All I remember is it had a funky aftertaste that hung on my palate.  I ended up giving the bottle away.

I like Woodford Reserve and sip on it occasionally.  The double oak is even better.

[Image: 1.png]

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024, 04:38 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yes please..

https://twitter.com/StonerCIips/status/1...j0yeQ&s=19