Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Premier League Season 2017/18

(04-17-2018, 10:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 05:46 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Focus is firmly on the bottom of the league now.. here are the remaining fixtures for the teams in-and-around the relegation fight:

Brighton (13th - 35 points)
Tottenham (H)
Burnley (A)
Man United (H)
Man City (A)
Liverpool (A)

West Ham (14th - 35 points)
Arsenal (A)
Man City (H)
Leicester (A)
Man United (H)
Everton (A)

Huddersfield (15th - 35 points)
Everton (H)
Man City (A)
Chelsea (A)
Arsenal (H)

Southampton (18th - 28 points)
Leicester (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Everton (A)
Swansea (A)
Man City (H)

Southampton needs to win 3 matches (LC or Everton, beat Bournemouth, beat Swansea) and hope one of the following teams  ..... Huddersfield, West Ham, or Brighton loses the rest of their matches -- which is possible !!  Probable-no  Possible-yes.

I excluded Crystal Palace due to their remaining schedule which is somewhat favorable

I think the magic number is 36 or 37 for Southampton as they have a huge point differential over Huddersfield.

Oh absolutely. I just included from 13th down as I thought it was interesting that between 13th & 20th there is only 11 points difference and "anything can happen" in the Premier League.

I still maintain, though, the bottom 3 as you see it now will be the bottom 3 come seasons end.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-17-2018, 10:34 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 10:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Southampton needs to win 3 matches (LC or Everton, beat Bournemouth, beat Swansea) and hope one of the following teams  ..... Huddersfield, West Ham, or Brighton loses the rest of their matches -- which is possible !!  Probable-no  Possible-yes.

I excluded Crystal Palace due to their remaining schedule which is somewhat favorable

I think the magic number is 36 or 37 for Southampton as they have a huge point differential over Huddersfield.

Oh absolutely. I just included from 13th down as I thought it was interesting that between 13th & 20th there is only 11 points difference and "anything can happen" in the Premier League.

I still maintain, though, the bottom 3 as you see it now will be the bottom 3 come seasons end.

Agree.

Swansea appears to be safe so I'll focus on rooting against Huddersfield and Brighton to keep Southampton alive.  In the event they do get relegated I sure hope they take the Newcastle approach and say "never again" and not be like Sunderland who is at risk of being relegated even further down --- i can't see that happening with Southampton, right?

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM by DarloJAG84.)

(04-17-2018, 10:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 10:34 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Oh absolutely. I just included from 13th down as I thought it was interesting that between 13th & 20th there is only 11 points difference and "anything can happen" in the Premier League.

Agree.

Swansea appears to be safe so I'll focus on rooting against Huddersfield and Brighton to keep Southampton alive.  In the event they do get relegated I sure hope they take the Newcastle approach and say "never again" and not be like Sunderland who is at risk of being relegated even further down --- i can't see that happening with Southampton, right?

Southampton are pretty financially stable so I wouldn't imagine they'd go back down. They were in League One a few years ago (2009/10 & 2010/11 season), funnily enough. This was due to finances etc. They even started their time in League One on -10 points due to unstable finances. They almost reached the playoffs too.. Had they started on level points with everyone else, they'd have been 3 points from automatic promotion.

I think the key is to keep some of the decent players for next season. Tadic, Austin, Gabbiadini, Long, Ward-Prowse etc...

I do think that it'll be hard to keep hold of them though, Charlie Austin especially. He could get into a lot of Premier League teams as he's a proven goalscorer.

I feel that going down would actually be a positive thing for Saints, as weird as it sounds to say. They won't lose any money right away and will receive parachute payments from the Premier League. It's also a way to blood the youngsters and rebuild the spine of the team with decent talent. That's something you simply cannot do in the Premier League.

That's not to say that The Championship is easy.. believe me, I think The Championship is better to watch than the Premier League. There's more passion, there's more noise and the tackling is harder/better. Having said that, we'd all much rather be in the Premier League, right? After all, I think that the Premier League is the most competitive league in the world. Not necessarily the best.. but the most competitive.. who saw Leicester winning it a couple years back? Who saw WBA beating United this past weekend? Who saw Burnley potentially finishing above Arsenal this season? I know I didn't..

Good point for us against Spurs last night, think we’ll be safe now.

ANOTHER win for Fulham tonight.. they're now 2nd in the table (automatic promotion places) 2 points clear of Cardiff... Cardiff have 2 games in hand, though.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2018, 10:11 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Huddersfield - 35 points (pd -27)  opponents below
Everton
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal

Southampton - 29 points (pd -20)  opponents below
Bournemouth
Everton
Swansea
Man City

Assuming both have similar results vs common opponents Everton & Man City --- Southampton must beat Bournemouth and Swansea while Huddersfield loses to Chelsea and Arsenal

Perhaps Southampton can beat Everton !!

(04-21-2018, 10:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Huddersfield - 35 points (pd -27)  opponents below
Everton
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal

Bournemouth
Everton
Swansea
Man City

Assuming both have similar results vs common opponents Everton & Man City --- Southampton must beat Bournemouth and Swansea while Huddersfield loses to Chelsea and Arsenal

As much as I'd like that, I can't see Southampton winning another game this season!

(04-22-2018, 12:16 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 10:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Huddersfield - 35 points (pd -27)  opponents below
Everton
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal

Bournemouth
Everton
Swansea
Man City

As much as I'd like that, I can't see Southampton winning another game this season!
That's unfortunate. Even though it was only 2-0, Chelsea owned that game today for the fa semi. I really thought it was going to be a lot closer than that after the game last week.

[Image: i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0422%2Fr360244_1...quality=40]

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2018, 12:05 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

SOUTHAMPTON WINS  - critical save during the final seconds !!!

I was actually rooting for Southampton once Crystal Palace took a 2-0 lead vs LC.  Now that Bournemouth & Crystal Palace appear to be safe, my rooting interest has shifted to rooting for the following to get relegated:  West Brom, Stoke, and either Swansea or Huddersfield.

Huddersfield opponents (35 points / -29 point diff) - opponents below
Man City 
Chelsea
Arsenal

Southampton (32 points / -19 point diff) - opponents below
Everton
Swansea
Man City

Swansea Opponents (33 points / -24 point diff) - opponents below
Chelsea
Bournemouth
Southampton
Stoke

Best case and realistic scenario is to have Huddersfield lose out and have Southampton beat Swansea

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2018, 06:02 AM by JagSwag.)

HURRICANE!!! I take it you believe Brighton to be safe as you’ve not included us in your relegation run in?

It’s going down to the last game for Fulham.

They’re one point behind second-placed Cardiff and are away to Birmingham City next Sunday.

Cardiff are at home to Reading.

Unfortunately I can’t see Cardiff slipping up.

(I say unfortunately because I can’t stand Cardiff or their manager)

And you’d think Fulham would be good enough to win the playoffs, but there will be some big teams in the mix too and quite often the side that just misses out on automatic promotion fails in the playoffs...

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018, 04:17 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-29-2018, 06:02 AM)JagSwag Wrote: HURRICANE!!! I take it you believe Brighton to be safe as you’ve not included us in your relegation run in?

Correct.  Brighton (37 points) has a similar schedule as Huddersfield (35 points) and has a major 12 point advantage on the point differential and would win the tie breaker so it's almost like they have 38 points right now.

Brighton - opponents
Burley
ManU
Man City
Liverpool

To simplify, the odds are as follows ...
1:12 - Stoke
1:1 - Southampton
2:1 - Huddersfield
3:1 - Swansea
14:1 - West Ham
50:1 - Brighton

I like Wagner so I hope Huddersfield stays up

(04-30-2018, 04:14 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 06:02 AM)JagSwag Wrote: HURRICANE!!! I take it you believe Brighton to be safe as you’ve not included us in your relegation run in?

Correct.  Brighton (37 points) has a similar schedule as Huddersfield (35 points) and has a major 12 point advantage on the point differential and would win the tie breaker so it's almost like they have 38 points right now.

Brighton - opponents
Burley
ManU
Man City
Liverpool

We drew 0-0 with Burnley on Saturday. I’m hoping we’ve done enough to stay up.

(04-30-2018, 04:50 PM)JagSwag Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 04:14 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Correct.  Brighton (37 points) has a similar schedule as Huddersfield (35 points) and has a major 12 point advantage on the point differential and would win the tie breaker so it's almost like they have 38 points right now.

Brighton - opponents
Burley
ManU
Man City
Liverpool

We drew 0-0 with Burnley on Saturday. I’m hoping we’ve done enough to stay up.

I like brighton. Cool story and bad [BLEEP] town that i want to visit when i make my trip to the UK. My wife and i didn't have a real honey moon because of our work schedules so we are going to do a little Euro excursion towards the fall of this year an im already working in a saturday to see my Blues play at stamford bridge but i want to make a trip to Brighton and Yorkshire. Heard a lot of awesome things about both.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018, 05:14 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I want Brighton to stay up as well.  Building good rivalries in the southern corridor of England (Bournemouth, Brighton, Crystal Palace, and Southampton).  I know CP isn't on the southern coast but I understand they have a good rivalry already with Brighton.

(04-30-2018, 09:29 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 04:50 PM)JagSwag Wrote: We drew 0-0 with Burnley on Saturday. I’m hoping we’ve done enough to stay up.

I like brighton. Cool story and bad [BLEEP] town that i want to visit when i make my trip to the UK. My wife and i didn't have a real honey moon because of our work schedules so we are going to do a little Euro excursion towards the fall of this year an im already working in a saturday to see my Blues play at stamford bridge but i want to make a trip to Brighton and Yorkshire. Heard a lot of awesome things about both.

Let me know when you plan you trip, I'll give you a list of places to visit that you'll enjoy.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 08:02 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

BRIGHTON OFFICIALLY AVOIDS RELEGATION WITH 1-0 VICTORY OVER ManU  

CONGRATS !!!! 

Saturday's key matchups !!!

CP needs to beat Stoke.

Bournemouth needs to beat Swansea

Southampton needs to beat Everton (or even tie since it's a tough matchup)

... and Sunday Man City over Huddersfield

Man, that felt good. We were favourites for relegation this season so for us to be safe with 2 games to go is an amazing achievement. Sea-Sea-Seasiders!