Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Oline issues continue

(08-08-2017, 11:36 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Guys, we are gong to install a power run focused attack, what does it matters if we are going to have two crappy guards, a rookie left tackle and a underperforming right tackle?  Oh wait.

The Jags front office is a whole lot more content with the o line play than the vast majority of the fan base, including myself. Maybe they know what they are doing. A look at the win-loss record under Caldwell suggests the opposite. These are the same geniuses that watched the last three years of game film and concluded, "no changes need to be made to the QBs on the roster."

do you want some tissue for your tears. lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-08-2017, 09:14 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 02:05 PM)FBT Wrote: Monroe achieved legendary status once he was traded.  Prior to that, the usual suspects wanted him gone.

I though Monroe was a disappointment his first three years, but on the message board he was widely considered one of the two best players (with Poz) on the Jags 2012 team. Go back and read what was written about him going into the 2013 draft.  

OK, that's not a high bar to exceed. Nonetheless, he was improving up until Gus took over. I thought the trade was a mistake. In retrospect, just about every player declined under Gus Bradley, and keeping Monroe would not have been a success.

A guy I thought was good his first year and a half-but a guy people in Jacksonville reviled-was Khalif Barnes.

But eventually his play fell off dramatically and ultimately he needed to go.

As for Monroe, I am sad to say I always thought he was overrated by this board.  I was hopeful as heck when we drafted him and excited because we seemed to get a good bargain with him when we drafted him, but from his first practice on, I cringed often when I watched him play.

(08-08-2017, 11:19 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I thought we could have done more for the O Line, definitely in the draft we could have. We didn't really go after Mack when he was a FA, even after we made him the offer sheet a few years back.. You'd think he would have been a targeted signing. That seems to have hurt us, he is lights out in ATL. There were a handful of guards in the 3rd and 4th we could have snagged and didn't. Our depth is just as bad as last year on the O line. We let a decent LT go, traded for a bum, and drafted an OT. We did nothing noteworthy inside, this team will likely struggle there, especially vs Houston.

I do not expect to win either game vs the Texans, even with nobody at QB for them... I just don't see how we move the ball or score any points.

(08-08-2017, 11:36 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Guys, we are gong to install a power run focused attack, what does it matters if we are going to have two crappy guards, a rookie left tackle and a underperforming right tackle? Oh wait.

The Jags front office is a whole lot more content with the o line play than the vast majority of the fan base, including myself. Maybe they know what they are doing. A look at the win-loss record under Caldwell suggests the opposite. These are the same geniuses that watched the last three years of game film and concluded, "no changes need to be made to the QBs on the roster."

Do you seriously think Coughlin, with the reputation of building teams in the trenches, and Marrone, a former O-Lineman himself and the guy who coached our O-Line the past two years before becoming our head coach, would seriously be content with our OL if they thought it needed improvement?

Yes, I thought they would pursue Mack again, but they didn't this time. If memory serves me correctly, they pursued Zeitler but he wound up signing with Cleveland.

They made the trade for Albert, not knowing he would skip all of the voluntary stuff and then retire-unretire. But as of last season, he was still viable. I don't see how that makes them content with the OL.

They wound up trading up for Robinson in the 2nd round. That's a high draft pick to devote to the OL for a team that's content with the OL, isn't it?

Now I wanted them to take at least one more interior OL in this draft, but I can understand why they didn't go that route. Feeney may not have been a scheme fit. Elflien could have been an option, but if the team wanted Linder at C, I can see why they stayed away from him. Johnson from Pitt was someone I wanted in the 4th round, but he had medical issues, and perhaps they had Westbrook rated higher.

Keep in mind, the 2017 draft was considered the worst OL draft in a long time. If TC and company shared that view, what would be the point in building the O-Line from such a weak class?

BTW tealhammer, which QB would you have drafted this year?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-08-2017, 11:36 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Guys, we are gong to install a power run focused attack, what does it matters if we are going to have two crappy guards, a rookie left tackle and a underperforming right tackle?  Oh wait.

Coughlin was involved in that film review as well.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-09-2017, 08:38 AM)FBT Wrote:

Coughlin was involved in that film review as well.

Quiet you, he's on a roll.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 11:49 AM by TealHammer.)

@Bullseye

Quality post in response to my snark.

Do you seriously think Coughlin, with the reputation of building teams in the trenches, and Marrone, a former O-Lineman himself and the guy who coached our O-Line the past two years before becoming our head coach, would seriously be content with our OL if they thought it needed improvement?

No, I do not think that. My post was Jag front office was obviously more content than most fans with the o line talent we have. Because Jag moves bringing in two quality guys (Albert and Cam Robinson) while letting a quality tackle walk (Beachem) meant Jags netted one quality guy max. And then when it turned out that Albert was washed up and quit, we added zero net quality guys. I'm under the impression that we need upgrades at guard spots and right tackle. Now, I think Marrone and Coughlin disagree with at least the urgency of that. I suspect they are wrong. Time will tell.

They wound up trading up for Robinson in the 2nd round. That's a high draft pick to devote to the OL for a team that's content with the OL, isn't it?

I agree it's an important pick to spend and hopefully he is an above average o lineman. But at that point, Jags let their starting LT walk, the guy they traded for was super old and had put the team on notice that he wasn't super motivated and was actively holding out. The only smart play was to draft a LT. And they got really lucky that Robinson lasted that long. With hindsight, great pick. But that pick doesn't improve the guard play or right tackle play or provide depth.

Now I wanted them to take at least one more interior OL in this draft, but I can understand why they didn't go that route. Feeney may not have been a scheme fit. Elflien could have been an option, but if the team wanted Linder at C, I can see why they stayed away from him. Johnson from Pitt was someone I wanted in the 4th round, but he had medical issues, and perhaps they had Westbrook rated higher.

I agree with what wrote - I think the team needed to pick up at least one quality guard in the draft. And they didn't.

Keep in mind, the 2017 draft was considered the worst OL draft in a long time. If TC and company shared that view, what would be the point in building the O-Line from such a weak class?

It's a good point. But I guarantee there will be multiple quality guards that were drafted in 2017.

BTW tealhammer, which QB would you have drafted this year?

No idea. But (1) I'm not getting paid millions and have a staff of scouts to help me, (2) odds are there is at least one decent QB in 2017 draft and (3) I'm not saying you had to draft someone who beats out Bortles. A guy that could be a decent backup and compete with Bortles seemed like a no brainer.

I'm glad everyone knows how the O-line is going to look before the team has even played a single preseason game.

Holy smokes........
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-08-2017, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Ummm.

You asked who Caldwell brought in. 
He told you. 

Everyone realizes most of them are/were sub-par performers.

The problem is, that it isn't an impressive list and people do realize they are sub par. That should show that either our front office, coaching staff or our scouting department doesn't realize what it takes to build a solid O-Line.

(08-08-2017, 02:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: No, and that's entirely the point. 

People said they didn't ignore offensive line, but chose the wrong players - which I agree with. You seemed to disagree, asking who they've brought in.

No. Maybe my sarcasm didn't translate through the writing, but what I meant was that by not bringing in top rated/consistent starters via free agency or not spending multiple picks on high round O-Linemen when it was such a need, was a complete failure in my opinion. Sorry if that didn't translate. Sometimes I forget people can't see the sarcasm on my face as I'm typing.

where were they supposed to find them? This years draft was considered poor in OL, so why use a high pick on one? There wasn't much in FA either...There were other drafts they could have picked OL high, but then they would have missed the good defensive players we got

(08-09-2017, 01:34 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The problem is, that it isn't an impressive list and people do realize they are sub par. That should show that either our front office, coaching staff or our scouting department doesn't realize what it takes to build a solid O-Line.

No. Maybe my sarcasm didn't translate through the writing, but what I meant was that by not bringing in top rated/consistent starters via free agency or not spending multiple picks on high round O-Linemen when it was such a need, was a complete failure in my opinion. Sorry if that didn't translate. Sometimes I forget people can't see the sarcasm on my face as I'm typing.

where were they supposed to find them? This years draft was considered poor in OL, so why use a high pick on one? There wasn't much in FA either...There were other drafts they could have picked OL high, but then they would have missed the good defensive players we got

It all comes back to bad drafting.

Why take Khalil Mack when what you need is a project QB? Why take Amari Cooper or Leonard Williams when what you need is a project defensive end with very poor self control? Those guys aren't offensive linemen, but I'm pretty sure the Jaguars passed up on quite a few of them in the last few years. They've shown they pass up ability for positional need.

(08-09-2017, 01:12 PM)Dakota Wrote: I'm glad everyone knows how the O-line is going to look before the team has even played a single preseason game.

Holy smokes........

But.. but... the Madden ratings!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The funny thing is the O-line wasn't even all that bad last year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."