Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
North Korea

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

How does everyone feel about the current situation with North Korea? I am curious to hear how anti-Trump people feel about the way he is handling it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Let that little Turkey try something, his little piss ant country will be a nuclear wasteland for about 10,000 years
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

More worried about bowl-cut Junior retaliating against South Korea or Japan.

If Seoul South Korea or Japan is attacked, The US will respond. China is already putting troops on the border to counter any refugee influx from there
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(08-08-2017, 04:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

How does everyone feel about the current situation with North Korea? I am curious to hear how anti-Trump people feel about the way he is handling it.
He's handling it? Seems to me like he's just sitting there flapping his gums while the UN (lol) actually imposes sanctions and does something about it.

(08-08-2017, 04:22 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Let that little Turkey try something, his little piss ant country will be a nuclear wasteland for about 10,000 years
And so would the US. Starting a war with North Korea is starting a war with China, and a war with China would quickly involve Russia. You really want to go down that road?

(08-08-2017, 04:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 04:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

He's handling it? Seems to me like he's just sitting there flapping his gums while the UN (lol) actually imposes sanctions and does something about it.

(08-08-2017, 04:22 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Let that little Turkey try something, his little piss ant country will be a nuclear wasteland for about 10,000 years
And so would the US. Starting a war with North Korea is starting a war with China, and a war with China would quickly involve Russia. You really want to go down that road?

You have a psychopath with nuclear weapons and a proven method of delivering them to the US threatening to do so. 

Bowl-cut is likely all talk at the moment, but it isn't good for anyone to let them keep bettering their technology.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017, 05:17 PM by The Drifter.)

(08-08-2017, 04:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:

(08-08-2017, 04:22 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Let that little Turkey try something, his little piss ant country will be a nuclear wasteland for about 10,000 years

China would not get involved with a war with the U.S., we're their biggest trading partner and their economy would suffer greatly

The ideal solution is to have him overthrown. The dynamics of totalitarianism are interesting insights of human behavior. Even though the people around him are first hand witness to his gluttonous hypocrisy, no one will raise a hand to stop him. Paranoia is a powerful tool.

There is no "clean" solution to the problem. Unfortunately, it has festered for so long that there will be huge losses and drastic financial consequences no matter the route. At this point, the quickest but also the messiest is to strategically attack NK. Make no mistake, there would be a large human toll but believe it would be drastically lower than a long drawn out conflict. There are existing plans in place for every scenario, just need to pick the best fit to minimize long term loss of life and global financial downturn. It's like choosing the tallest midget at this point.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-08-2017, 05:42 PM)B2hibry Wrote:  It's like choosing the tallest midget at this point.

[Image: 73c6957372babd3d5b01dd7be34a6366d451c759...0ed9bc.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

NK is now planning on firing a missile at Guam.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017, 08:12 PM by B2hibry.)

(08-08-2017, 07:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: NK is now planning on firing a missile at Guam.

They've had Japan and Guam as a goal for quite some time.

I'd like to see a couple of Aegis ships take out the next test as a nice little jab and warning. Of course, if we fail an interception, then we get egg on the face.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-08-2017, 08:11 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 07:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: NK is now planning on firing a missile at Guam.

They've had Japan and Guam as a goal for quite some time.

I'd like to see a couple of Aegis ships take out the next test as a nice little jab and warning. Of course, if we fail an interception, then we get egg on the face.
I've thought that for awhile. No better way to test the system than in a practice scenario.

Link? If it's a very, very credible source, this is the kind of thing you take action on.

(08-08-2017, 11:43 PM)TJBender Wrote:

Link? If it's a very, very credible source, this is the kind of thing you take action on.

"The KPA Strategic Force is now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with medium-to-long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12 in order to contain the U.S. major military bases on Guam including the Anderson Air Force Base," the spokesman said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northk...SKBN1AO2L9

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 12:08 AM by TJBender.)

(08-09-2017, 12:00 AM)The Drifter Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 11:43 PM)TJBender Wrote: Link? If it's a very, very credible source, this is the kind of thing you take action on.

"The KPA Strategic Force is now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with medium-to-long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12 in order to contain the U.S. major military bases on Guam including the Anderson Air Force Base," the spokesman said.

No source more reliable than NK itself, right?

Here's my thing: we can't shoot first. We have the most advanced missile guidance systems in the world. We need to wait for one to go up that has the right trajectory and flight path to hit a US interest, then use our defense systems to knock it down and respond with immediate surgical strikes against nuclear weapons facilities, military infrastructure and equipment, known launch sites and, hell, why not Kim Jong Un himself? If we shoot first, it's American aggression, imperialism, blah blah blah whatever NK wants to call it to draw Russia and China in. If we shoot down a missile then go headhunting, we can credibly stand before the world and say that considering NK's words and actions, they're lucky we stopped there.

My fear is that we shoot first or dramatically over-retaliate, perhaps with nuclear weapons, making it very hard for a behemoth like the United States to defend its actions on the world stage. I don't know that China or Russia would take up arms, but they would certainly impose economic penalties of their own and push the UN to do the same. Whatever happens, I hope nuclear weapons aren't involved. Their destruction is too indiscriminate and devastating to the environment to be justified when we can slide a bomb right through Kim Jong Un's bedroom window and take out the palace without scratching the paint on a car parked across the street. I hope that Mattis has more sense than to push for a nuclear strike, and if he doesn't, I hope Trump and Kelly have the stones to tell him no.

CNN is doing its best to paint Trump as the aggressor here. This is despicable.

(08-09-2017, 02:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: CNN is doing its best to paint Trump as the aggressor here. This is despicable.

You are watching CNN? That's hardcore bro.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM by The Real Marty.)

Okay, here's my take. There are no good scenarios here. The one thing we cannot do is allow this to continue, because eventually North Korea will have enough nuclear armed ICBMs to take out the entire United States.

Whatever Trump decides to do, I pray he has the wisdom and the steadiness and the fortitude to see it through.

I think he needs to go on TV and start explaining this to the American people. We need to be united.

I also think he needs to quit making threats unless he intends to carry them out. Because once we get caught bluffing, we're done. We look like wimps, no one will believe a thing we say, and war is the only solution at that point. I think it would be a lot wiser to stay silent, pretend to ignore their threats, and move our assets into position. That would be a much more credible threat that this "fire and fury" talk. Because right now, we are months away from being able to carry out a successful first strike. We have to move lots of people and equipment and supplies into position first, and that could take months. So no matter how much Trump threatens, Kim doesn't believe him, because we are in no position to start a war right now.

I think the best solution right now involves China. They don't like NK having ICBMs any more than we do. War in the area would be very bad for business. And they certainly don't want to disrupt their economy. So I would tell them they can have North Korea if they want it. Just take it. Obviously, I don't know how to get the Chinese to intervene successfully. But I think they are the only palatable way out of this, because war between the US and North Korea would mean millions of civilian casualties, a lot of them in South Korea, and severe damage to the world economy.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 07:07 AM by The Real Marty.)

(08-09-2017, 02:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: CNN is doing its best to paint Trump as the aggressor here. This is despicable.

That's not really true.   I think CNN is painting Trump as foolish.   Which is certainly debatable.   I don't think it's wise to issue threats when we are not in any position to back them up.   We don't have enough assets in place right now, and it could take months to move them into place.   So any threats right now by us are empty threats, and that only makes us look bad.

(08-09-2017, 12:07 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 12:00 AM)The Drifter Wrote: "The KPA Strategic Force is now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with medium-to-long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12 in order to contain the U.S. major military bases on Guam including the Anderson Air Force Base," the spokesman said.

No source more reliable than NK itself, right?

Here's my thing: we can't shoot first. We have the most advanced missile guidance systems in the world. We need to wait for one to go up that has the right trajectory and flight path to hit a US interest, then use our defense systems to knock it down and respond with immediate surgical strikes against nuclear weapons facilities, military infrastructure and equipment, known launch sites and, hell, why not Kim Jong Un himself? If we shoot first, it's American aggression, imperialism, blah blah blah whatever NK wants to call it to draw Russia and China in. If we shoot down a missile then go headhunting, we can credibly stand before the world and say that considering NK's words and actions, they're lucky we stopped there.

My fear is that we shoot first or dramatically over-retaliate, perhaps with nuclear weapons, making it very hard for a behemoth like the United States to defend its actions on the world stage. I don't know that China or Russia would take up arms, but they would certainly impose economic penalties of their own and push the UN to do the same. Whatever happens, I hope nuclear weapons aren't involved. Their destruction is too indiscriminate and devastating to the environment to be justified when we can slide a bomb right through Kim Jong Un's bedroom window and take out the palace without scratching the paint on a car parked across the street. I hope that Mattis has more sense than to push for a nuclear strike, and if he doesn't, I hope Trump and Kelly have the stones to tell him no.

It would certainly make things easier if he gives us no choice.   One way for him to do that would be for him to strike at us first. 

As for the nuclear option, I would be opposed to a first strike or pre-emptive strike with nuclear weapons, but if anyone throws a nuclear weapon at us, we should hit them with a nuclear weapon.   That's our long-standing policy, and we should state it quite clearly, any use of nuclear weapons against us will be met with nuclear retaliation.  What's the alternative?   Conventional retaliation involves trillions of dollars of expense, and tens of thousands of American casualties.

As for your scenario, I think it's highly unlikely that Kim would launch a missile at us and then go to sleep in his own bedroom. So forget about carrying out a decapitation strike if they launch a missile at us.