Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Concerns about coaching after last night.

My biggest fear even over BB5 was the coaching.

I was very skeptical about keeping a HC that was already in Gus's system and keeping both OC and DC but Tom vouched for it so it kind of settled it for me.

But wow last night just showed me the same prevent defense and it worked exactly how it did for Gus (terribly). I know we had a "top 10" defense last year but we need a defensive scheme that gives our players a chance to be play makers and maybe get a turnover or some 3 and outs. I am tired of this crap defense that consistently lets the opponents offence get to the 50 yard line and then maybe stop them from getting into field goal range or just trying to stop them from getting the TD and settling them making a field goal. We need 3 and outs and turn overs this offense isn't good enough just for prevent defense and it is frustrating to watch because defensively we have the players for it.

Our typical offense run every single first down and get 0 yards or negative yards then a incomplete pass or a 2 yard pass for 2nd down leaving us every single time on 3rd at 8+ then to just have us throw behind the first down marker and punting at 4th and 2. This offensive play calling is so disgusting to watch it is pathetic.

On the bright sides how about that Special teams huh? Looking pretty sharp. To bad you can't win to many games with special teams.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm ok with Marrone staying. But the OC and DC should have gotten canned.

So, how well does Marrone do when he game plans? Anyone?

The fact of the matter is that nobody knows because we haven't seen it. Last night's game was an absolute embarrassment, but you can't hang it on the coach just yet. We don't know what he can or can't do.

You may be absolutely right, but it's way too soon to know one way or the other.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Very reminiscent of the Bengals game from last preseason. I was never sold on keeping the OC and DC. Neither of them have shown me any reason why they deserved to remain. More of the same this year I guess...

For one, no one game plans for Preseason Week 2.

Secondly, it's kind of hard to play like a Top 10 defense when your top 3 CBs are up in the luxury suites watching the game. I mean... we're talking about Mike Evans and Jackson... going against CBs 4-6 on our roster. That's a tough ask for any team.

The Run Defense was really my primary concern. Wasn't a good look at all from them.
PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

(08-18-2017, 02:33 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: My biggest fear even over BB5 was the coaching.

I was very skeptical about keeping a HC that was already in Gus's system and keeping both OC and DC but Tom vouched for it so it kind of settled it for me.

But wow last night just showed me the same prevent defense and it worked exactly how it did for Gus (terribly). I know we had a "top 10" defense last year but we need a defensive scheme that gives our players a chance to be play makers and maybe get a turnover or some 3 and outs. I am tired of this crap defense that consistently lets the opponents offence get to the 50 yard line and then maybe stop them from getting into field goal range or just trying to stop them from getting the TD and settling them making a field goal. We need 3 and outs and turn overs this offense isn't good enough just for prevent defense and it is frustrating to watch because defensively we have the players for it.

Our typical offense run every sing f***ing first down and get 0 yards or negative yards then a incomplete pass or a 2 yard pass for 2nd down leaving us every single time on 3rd at 8+ then to just have us throw behind the first down marker and punting at 4th and 2. This offensive play calling is so disgusting to watch it is pathetic.

On the bright sides how about that Special teams huh? Looking pretty sharp. To bad you can't win to many games with special teams.

You realize they're not doing much game planning at all for these games, right?  

The closest thing you'll see to a game plan in the preseason will be next week, and even that will be vanilla for the most part.  They aren't going to open up the play book in the preseason and show the league what they want to do.  Coaching isn't the problem at this point. Execution is.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Yeah I'm not concerned at this point. Hell at least they were attacking the ball trying to get turnovers. Should have been 4-5 INTs in that game.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-18-2017, 02:47 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 02:33 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: My biggest fear even over BB5 was the coaching.

Our typical offense run every sing f***ing first down and get 0 yards or negative yards then a incomplete pass or a 2 yard pass for 2nd down leaving us every single time on 3rd at 8+ then to just have us throw behind the first down marker and punting at 4th and 2. This offensive play calling is so disgusting to watch it is pathetic.

You realize they're not doing much game planning at all for these games, right?  

The closest thing you'll see to a game plan in the preseason will be next week, and even that will be vanilla for the most part.  They aren't going to open up the play book in the preseason and show the league what they want to do.  Coaching isn't the problem at this point.  Execution is.

While I agree with you, and im going to give Marrone till the end of the season, the execution part of this whole thing makes me concerned. A great teacher/coaches job is to teach a student how to execute something. Hearing Blake last week say something like "every rep is important, we've run the same play 1,000 times and we are still making mistakes." It seems like these guys aren't getting enough correct repetitions over time. Like 1/9 times they run a play in practice that is executed correctly

Wow.

Of all the crazy knee-jerk reactions flying around here today, the one I'm least likely to take seriously is judging coaching from a preseason game.

I mean, c'mon people. The "game-plan" in August is to evaluate your team. They aren't opening the whole playbook on offense and they aren't dialing up tons of pressure on D (where they are missing multiple starters)

This is my concern as well... mainly with the defensive scheme

look, I realize we aren't game planning for opponents, and we had corners out. The problem is that they ran the same stuff they ran in the REAL GAMES the last like 8 years. Soft Zone coverage every single play, rushing 4... putting 2 linebackers in the A gaps on 3rd downs only to have them run right back into their zone 9 times out of 10. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the offensive lineman to hold back laughs when we run these "complicated fake blitz schemes" over and over. They must be literally laughing.

Then, it wasn't really the WR's catching on our corners that were the problem. It was our linebackers and safeties allowing catches to TE's and slot WR's OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Looked identical to the last 8 years.

The QB gets 4 or 5 seconds to throw, finds a TE or WR in the open space between a LB and a Safety, every time.

I would say ya it is just vanilla scheming right now, but [BLEEP], we always run vanilla scheme every single year even in the regular season. We refuse, I mean actually refuse to play man coverage bump n run. We refuse to do more than maybe a couple zone blitzes a game.

We literally run the same BS each play. And this is just the pass D, the run D got beat in all areas which is absolutely unbelievable considering we have malik jackson and calai campbell on this line. Absolutely pathetic.

Then on top of that, I still see our corners on deep balls just run with their back to the ball and then swiping at the WR frantically instead of turning their head to locate the ball once they have recovered to their man. Like, these are NFL coaches coaching these guys, how on earth is this acceptable?

Our linebackers must be trained to stand in their spot in zone and stare at the QB and never look around quickly to read and react to routes and guys crossing, because each and every year our LB's just stand still in their zone as if the QB is supposed to throw them the ball if they stand there long enough. And each year it isn't corrected, so it must be what they teach

@benfennel Sheesh... Myles Jack doesn't look like he has a clue out there.

What's going on with him.

I've been concerned with coaching ever since we decided to keep the same old staff. We need new blood and a new philosophy.

(08-18-2017, 03:03 PM)MojoKing Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 02:47 PM)FBT Wrote: You realize they're not doing much game planning at all for these games, right?  

The closest thing you'll see to a game plan in the preseason will be next week, and even that will be vanilla for the most part.  They aren't going to open up the play book in the preseason and show the league what they want to do.  Coaching isn't the problem at this point.  Execution is.

While I agree with you, and im going to give Marrone till the end of the season, the execution part of this whole thing makes me concerned. A great teacher/coaches job is to teach a student how to execute something. Hearing Blake last week say something like "every rep is important, we've run the same play 1,000 times and we are still making mistakes." It seems like these guys aren't getting enough correct repetitions over time. Like 1/9 times they run a play in practice that is executed correctly

It's the preseason.  This is the time where you're instilling attention to detail, applying that on the field in practices, executing what you've been working on in game situations, adjust, rinse, and repeat.  Considering how disjointed the coaching was where there was no accountability, I would expect to see the coaching to focus on cleaning up the errors and getting ready for the regular season.  Preseasons are almost ALWAYS sloppy.  Fan expectation is never going to be adequately met in these games.  Unfortunately for fans, this is where coaches get the opportunity to see what will work and what won't with the personnel on the field, and then to come up with a plan of action to address those areas. Let's wait and see what happens when they count.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(08-18-2017, 03:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've been concerned with coaching ever since we decided to keep the same old staff. We need new blood and a new philosophy.

You don't think there's a new philosophy inside that stadium?  Gimme a break.

There are plenty of new faces on that coaching staff, and the philosophy has absolutely changed for the better.