Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could the Jags/FO be looking for a trade?

(08-23-2017, 11:52 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 11:48 AM)wrong_box Wrote: Caldwell and Coughlin aren't looking for stop gap for a year, they are looking for the long term answer at QB...I can't see them using a draft pick or picks now and then picking up a better prospect available in the draft next year

Bingo.

All these brilliant trade suggestions to land a stop gap QB for this season coming from the armchair GM community are wasted energy.  The team isn't giving up draft picks for someone else's backup.  They'll manage the situation as best they can for this year, hope that something clicks for Henne or Bortles, and start looking at their options in the draft and free agency at the end of the season.

THIS.
Not sure why everyone wants to trade a pick or picks for someone else's backup or throw away......
That rarely actually works out...

Here's a list of to be free agent QBs next offseason that will cost no draft picks.
Cousins, Brees, Stafford, Bradford, Josh McCown, Luke McCown, Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, Tom Savage, David Fales, Teddy Bridgewater, Jimmy Garappolo.
I left out guys that I think are names not worth mentioning like Tolzien and Keenum and some others... but there'll be about 30+ options.

Now QBs more than likely to enter NFL draft are (in no particular order, leaving out Sophmores)
Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Jake Browning, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson.

If Bortles is a complete loss (which it seems as of now he is) and Henne is what Henne is (which we're all pretty sure he is) and they really don't like Allen (other than filling a roster spot for no good reason) they will have plenty of options at QB. And probably in good shape cap wise and draft position to get who they want.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Keep an eye on Kansas City.

Next year might come early.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Rumor has it that Hurns is possibly on the trade block. I'd imagine they're looking for OL help or maybe Alex Smith.

(08-21-2017, 05:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 03:36 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: No!  No running qbs.  If we're going trade or draft we need a qb with real NFL skill set.  The only running qb that I can think of that ever won a SB was Steve Young.  But it was AFTER he developed into an NFL caliber passer.
Tyrod is an NFL caliber passer.

His last game says no.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(08-23-2017, 12:48 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Rumor has it that Hurns is possibly on the trade block. I'd imagine they're looking for OL help or maybe Alex Smith.

Source?

(08-23-2017, 12:48 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Rumor has it that Hurns is possibly on the trade block. I'd imagine they're looking for OL help or maybe Alex Smith.

Source? But i can see Hurns for A. Smith. Dang, and I like Hurns.

(08-23-2017, 01:10 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: Tyrod is an NFL caliber passer.

His last game says no.

Taylor?
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(08-23-2017, 01:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Source?

It was Ryan O speculating that if Hurns is a healthy scratch Thursday, then he is likely being shipped.

(08-23-2017, 01:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Source?

It was a musing from Ryan O in response to Alfie on twitter. Just pure speculation from him based on Hurns not playing last week.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Rumors?  This is what we're clinging to?

When the dust settles on the 2017 off season, odds are strong that not a single one of these rumors will pan out.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-23-2017, 01:26 PM)FBT Wrote:

When the dust settles on the 2017 off season, odds are strong that not a single one of these rumors will pan out.
"I highly doubt the Jags are going to name Doug Marrone the HC." - FBT

(08-23-2017, 12:36 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Keep an eye on Kansas City.

Next year might come early.

You're welcome to keep staring at them.  They're not trading anyone.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(08-23-2017, 01:28 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:26 PM)FBT Wrote: Rumors?  This is what we're clinging to?

"I highly doubt the Jags are going to name Doug Marrone the HC." - FBT

Right, because people never get it wrong.

We should just take every rumor as gospel and go with that, right?  That'll work out splendidly.

Let me know how wrong I was on this one when you get the chance.

(08-23-2017, 01:26 PM)FBT Wrote:

I'm not "clinging" to anything. I saw something interesting; I posted it. That's kind of the point of a message board.

(08-23-2017, 12:06 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 11:52 AM)FBT Wrote: Bingo.

All these brilliant trade suggestions to land a stop gap QB for this season coming from the armchair GM community are wasted energy.  The team isn't giving up draft picks for someone else's backup.  They'll manage the situation as best they can for this year, hope that something clicks for Henne or Bortles, and start looking at their options in the draft and free agency at the end of the season.

THIS.
Not sure why everyone wants to trade a pick or picks for someone else's backup or throw away......

Here's a list of to be free agent QBs next offseason that will cost no draft picks.
Cousins, Brees, Stafford, Bradford, Josh McCown, Luke McCown, Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, Tom Savage, David Fales, Teddy Bridgewater, Jimmy Garappolo.
I left out guys that I think are names not worth mentioning like Tolzien and Keenum and some others... but there'll be about 30+ options.

Now QBs more than likely to enter NFL draft are (in no particular order, leaving out Sophmores)
Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Jake Browning, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson.

If Bortles is a complete loss (which it seems as of now he is) and Henne is what Henne is (which we're all pretty sure he is) and they really don't like Allen (other than filling a roster spot for no good reason) they will have plenty of options at QB. And probably in good shape cap wise and draft position to get who they want.
Not everyone is okay waiting until next year. And what do you seriously think Tyrod or Smith is gonna cost? I'd love Stafford/Cousins/top rookie as much as the next guy, but it's no sure thing either make it to FA or a rookie pans out fast enough to capitalize on our talent or at all. Give me the known entity now

(08-23-2017, 12:06 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 11:52 AM)FBT Wrote: Bingo.

THIS.

You seriously listed the McCowns, Matt Moore, Sanchez, Gabbert, Savage and Fales as possible signings next year?  In what world are any of those guys an upgrade over Bortles/Henne?  Cousins, Brees and Stafford will not make it to free agency.  The only possible player for us from your list is Garappolo who NE would like to re-sign to a long term deal...it may take more than they are willing to spend for a back-up QB - especially when Brady wants to play another 4-5 years.  If Garappolo decides he would rather be a starter elsewhere than the heir to the NE dynasty, we might have a shot - but that's a BIG "if".  If we can get him now for draft pick or two, and if our "braintrust" decides he's better than the QBs in next years draft, than I'd be in favor of doing it.

(08-23-2017, 01:32 PM)JNev Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 12:06 PM)Kane Wrote: THIS.

Not everyone is okay waiting until next year. And what do you seriously think Tyrod or Smith is gonna cost? I'd love Stafford/Cousins/top rookie as much as the next guy, but it's no sure thing either make it to FA or a rookie pans out fast enough to capitalize on our talent or at all. Give me the known entity now
welp that's too bad...we are are going to have to wait another year for a new qb...no way they bring in a new qb this year and then another one next year...They will not bring in a stop gap, they will wait to find one they think is a long term solution...

(08-23-2017, 01:30 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:28 PM)Frailbones Wrote: "I highly doubt the Jags are going to name Doug Marrone the HC." - FBT

Right, because people never get it wrong.

We should just take every rumor as gospel and go with that, right?  That'll work out splendidly.

So someone posts a rumor they heard and that's taking it as gospel? People are "clinging" to a rumor?

Everyone gets things wrong but this guy never said "they're trading for Smith. Book it."

(08-23-2017, 01:30 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:26 PM)FBT Wrote: Rumors?  This is what we're clinging to?

I'm not "clinging" to anything. I saw something interesting; I posted it. That's kind of the point of a message board.

When you bring something Ryan O'Halloran was musing about with Alfie on Twitter, that's not a rumor.  That's someone speculating.

A rumor would be if O'Halloran reported that he's been told by someone inside the organization that Hurns is on the trading block.  He didn't.

(08-23-2017, 01:32 PM)JNev Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 12:06 PM)Kane Wrote: THIS.

The fact that you're asking about the cost of getting players who aren't being offered up in trade is the first mistake.  This isn't about being okay with waiting until next year.  Some here are simply acknowledging the fact that you can't fix everything in one off season, and sometimes you have to move forward with an eye on the future.  Doesn't make anyone happy.  

It is what it is, and this team isn't going to find an upgrade at QB via trade or free agency less than 2 weeks before the season starts, and any potential trade option winds up mortgaging the future for a short term fix.  There's a reason you don't see more trade activity happening this time of the year.  Teams value their draft picks.

(08-23-2017, 01:50 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:30 PM)FBT Wrote: Right, because people never get it wrong.

So someone posts a rumor they heard and that's taking it as gospel? People are "clinging" to a rumor?

Everyone gets things wrong but this guy never said "they're trading for Smith. Book it."

It wasn't a rumor.

I know you feel the need to try to counter my point because I don't subscribe to the armchair GM mindset, but the end result is that there won't be any magical trade happening to fix the QB situation this year.  I think it's safe to say you can book that.

(08-23-2017, 01:50 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:30 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: I'm not "clinging" to anything. I saw something interesting; I posted it. That's kind of the point of a message board.

When you bring something Ryan O'Halloran was musing about with Alfie on Twitter, that's not a rumor.  That's someone speculating.

A rumor would be if O'Halloran reported that he's been told by someone inside the organization that Hurns is on the trading block.  He didn't.

(08-23-2017, 01:32 PM)JNev Wrote: Not everyone is okay waiting until next year. And what do you seriously think Tyrod or Smith is gonna cost? I'd love Stafford/Cousins/top rookie as much as the next guy, but it's no sure thing either make it to FA or a rookie pans out fast enough to capitalize on our talent or at all. Give me the known entity now

The fact that you're asking about the cost of getting players who aren't being offered up in trade is the first mistake.  This isn't about being okay with waiting until next year.  Some here are simply acknowledging the fact that you can't fix everything in one off season, and sometimes you have to move forward with an eye on the future.  Doesn't make anyone happy.  

It is what it is, and this team isn't going to find an upgrade at QB via trade or free agency less than 2 weeks before the season starts, and any potential trade option winds up mortgaging the future for a short term fix.  There's a reason you don't see more trade activity happening this time of the year.  Teams value their draft picks.

How exactly do you know that Tyrod and Smith aren't available? Was it advertised somewhere that Sammy Watkins was available? These things are rarely public. The Bradford trade caught everyone by surprise. We're using logic of what teams could think given their situations. (Tanking and having a 1st rd pick play well behind a mediocre QB who hasn't won them anything)