Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Line talk after Panthers Game

Cyrus hasn't been very good. Very inconsistent so far in his career.

Sadly, there were a lot of offensive line options for the last 3 years between the draft and free agency. From a cursory look at next year, there aren't going to be a whole lot of options to fix the line. I think the line will look similar next year with maybe one new face. We will have to suffer through the worst line in the league for the forseeable future now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-25-2017, 04:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I can agree with the points made here. We really dropped the ball on Beachum-for-Albert at OT. Beachum was not a "run first" LT, but he was serviceable with a good back behind him. He was also a good pass protector.. We also could have still drafted Cam, and moved him to G or RT, allowing us to keep a solid pass pro on our QB's blind side plus sure up the RT/G position. Instead we wasted a trade of JT for a bum soon to retire. There were a few OGs left in the 3rd/4th that really could have pushed for starting jobs here with the lackluster talent we have inside. Every little mishap the GM/FO has is adding up, I find it hard to believe Caldwell makes it past 2017. I think our line can be decent, but thats just not good enough for "win now" scenarios.

FWIW, the non-re signing of Beachum and the trade for Albert had Coughlin written all over it. I agree that by at least re-signing Beachum you still could have drafted Cam if you were dead set on him, moved him to LG for a year or two and that way at least you have a solid left side of the line.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Caldwell is the worse GM in the nfl. This is the same guy that signed Mackenzie Berdeneau expecting him to be a starter. His drafts are horrible, free agency signings are horrible, hired the worst hc of all time. His drafts especially are mindboggling. He can't seriously think some of the guys he drafts are going to be studs. Why on earth would anyone take Smoot in the 3rd round? What exactly in his tape made Caldwell think "I gotta have this guy"?? We will suck until Caldwell is gone. Could you imagine if we didn't have a top pick in every round? We'd be even worse. Shack Harris was fired 10 years ago and his sucessors haven't even come close.

(08-25-2017, 11:23 AM)Kcirred Wrote: Caldwell is the worse GM in the nfl.  This is the same guy that signed Mackenzie Berdeneau expecting him to be a starter.  His drafts are horrible, free agency signings are horrible, hired the worst hc of all time.  His drafts especially are mindboggling.  He can't seriously think some of the guys he drafts are going to be studs.  Why on earth would anyone take Smoot in the 3rd round?  What exactly in his tape made Caldwell think "I gotta have this guy"?? We will suck until Caldwell is gone.  Could you imagine if we didn't have a top pick in every round? We'd be even worse.  Shack Harris was fired 10 years ago and his sucessors haven't even come close.

It's hard to argue with your points here.

I do think there are a few teams out there that have a surplus of OL and are in kind of the same position that we're in at WR (supposedly) and will have to make some tough OL cuts to get to 53. So, there may be an opportunity or two.

(08-25-2017, 10:22 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 04:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I can agree with the points made here. We really dropped the ball on Beachum-for-Albert at OT. Beachum was not a "run first" LT, but he was serviceable with a good back behind him. He was also a good pass protector.. We also could have still drafted Cam, and moved him to G or RT, allowing us to keep a solid pass pro on our QB's blind side plus sure up the RT/G position. Instead we wasted a trade of JT for a bum soon to retire. There were a few OGs left in the 3rd/4th that really could have pushed for starting jobs here with the lackluster talent we have inside. Every little mishap the GM/FO has is adding up, I find it hard to believe Caldwell makes it past 2017. I think our line can be decent, but thats just not good enough for "win now" scenarios.

FWIW, the non-re signing of Beachum and the trade for Albert had Coughlin written all over it. I agree that by at least re-signing Beachum you still could have drafted Cam if you were dead set on him, moved him to LG for a year or two and that way at least you have a solid left side of the line.

Presumably, Beachum was the guy who told the ESPN reporter that " I don't think we have the right QB on this team." This was right after the humiliating Titans game debacle. 
 Speculating : Beachum might not have wanted to play here anymore. Or, at the very least, his comment might've played into the reason why the FO didn't hold on to him. 
 Obviously, that cannot be certain. But, if true, I believe that it was part of his leaving. 
 And, if true, I can't really blame Beachum for it. 

It is what it is. If this organization doesn't start fielding some competence, other players that we know/suspect to be really good will likely move on to elsewhere if given a chance.

(08-25-2017, 11:35 AM)jagherd Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 10:22 AM)knarnn Wrote: FWIW, the non-re signing of Beachum and the trade for Albert had Coughlin written all over it. I agree that by at least re-signing Beachum you still could have drafted Cam if you were dead set on him, moved him to LG for a year or two and that way at least you have a solid left side of the line.

Presumably, Beachum was the guy who told the ESPN reporter that " I don't think we have the right QB on this team." This was right after the humiliating Titans game debacle. 
 Speculating : Beachum might not have wanted to play here anymore. Or, at the very least, his comment might've played into the reason why the FO didn't hold on to him. 
 Obviously, that cannot be certain. But, if true, I believe that it was part of his leaving. 

It is what it is. If this organization doesn't start fielding some competence, other players that we know/suspect to be really good will likely move on to elsewhere if given a chance.

Still not sure why we didn't keep Beachum.  Dude is a starting caliber O-Linemen and a standup guy.

I think if this condition continues to deteriorate , then TC needs to perform a forced-ranking exercise whereby he starts eliminating the poor performers, starting with the folks responsible for misjudging the talent on this team. We've wasted so many early draft picks on players who didn't live up to expectations, while teams like New England consistently find great contributors despite picking at the end of draft rounds.

Someone will get cut. And we will sign them.
Having said that, DC needs to go. Jaguars biggest issues when he took over were:QB, OL, and Pass Rush. Those issues still remain today. Unacceptable.

(08-25-2017, 11:37 AM)Jest101 Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 11:35 AM)jagherd Wrote: Presumably, Beachum was the guy who told the ESPN reporter that " I don't think we have the right QB on this team." This was right after the humiliating Titans game debacle. 

Still not sure why we didn't keep Beachum. 
Dude is a starting caliber O-Linemen and a standup guy.

Really?  He was rag-dolled by tackles repeatedly when he tried to run block.

(08-25-2017, 11:23 AM)Kcirred Wrote: Caldwell is the worse GM in the nfl.  This is the same guy that signed Mackenzie Berdeneau expecting him to be a starter.  His drafts are horrible, free agency signings are horrible, hired the worst hc of all time.  His drafts especially are mindboggling.  He can't seriously think some of the guys he drafts are going to be studs.  Why on earth would anyone take Smoot in the 3rd round?  What exactly in his tape made Caldwell think "I gotta have this guy"?? We will suck until Caldwell is gone.  Could you imagine if we didn't have a top pick in every round? We'd be even worse.  Shack Harris was fired 10 years ago and his sucessors haven't even come close.

Smoot was on some first round boards a year prior, and Caldwell was saying he had him ranked far and away above everyone else when he made the pick. That said, you do sort of kick yourself when you see that Dan Feeney selected two picks later might actually start at RG for the Chargers.
'02

(08-25-2017, 02:27 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Smoot was on some first round boards a year prior, and Caldwell was saying he had him ranked far and away above everyone else when he made the pick. That said, you do sort of kick yourself when you see that Dan Feeney selected two picks later might actually start at RG for the Chargers.

Not only that, but Pat Elflein is in the running for earning a starting job with Minnesota. I read where he's been very impressive and he was chosen after Feeney. Either guy would've been an upgrade. As for Smoot, I know i'm gonna get crucified for this, since everyone loves TC, but this is not the same man who led us to the playoffs. Remember when he left Jacksonville? People had said he was too old and stuck in his ways. He had lost his mojo. He went to a team with a lot of talent (the Giants) and won a Superbowl, but that team started to decline as well and he was gone from that job too. Now, he's back in Jacksonville and I think he may be the same version of himself that was at the tail end of his first tenure with the Jags and at the end of his term in New York.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 05:31 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-25-2017, 05:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 02:27 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Smoot was on some first round boards a year prior, and Caldwell was saying he had him ranked far and away above everyone else when he made the pick. That said, you do sort of kick yourself when you see that Dan Feeney selected two picks later might actually start at RG for the Chargers.

Not only that, but Pat Elflein is in the running for earning a starting job with Minnesota. I read where he's been very impressive and he was chosen after Feeney. Either guy would've been an upgrade. As for Smoot, I know i'm gonna get crucified for this, since everyone loves TC, but this is not the same man who led us to the playoffs. Remember when he left Jacksonville? People had said he was too old and stuck in his ways. He had lost his mojo. He went to a team with a lot of talent (the Giants) and won a Superbowl, but that team started to decline as well and he was gone from that job too. Now, he's back in Jacksonville and I think he may be the same version of himself that was at the tail end of his first tenure with the Jags and at the end of his term in New York.

He won 2 SB's and Tom is the least of my worries.  Dave needs to go on the other hand.

(08-25-2017, 02:27 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

So you are saying Smoot was a Caldwell guy?  Makes sense

(08-25-2017, 05:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 05:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not only that, but Pat Elflein is in the running for earning a starting job with Minnesota. I read where he's been very impressive and he was chosen after Feeney. Either guy would've been an upgrade. As for Smoot, I know i'm gonna get crucified for this, since everyone loves TC, but this is not the same man who led us to the playoffs. Remember when he left Jacksonville? People had said he was too old and stuck in his ways. He had lost his mojo. He went to a team with a lot of talent (the Giants) and won a Superbowl, but that team started to decline as well and he was gone from that job too. Now, he's back in Jacksonville and I think he may be the same version of himself that was at the tail end of his first tenure with the Jags and at the end of his term in New York.

He won 2 SB's and Tom is the least of my worries.  Dave needs to go on the other hand.

I'm certainly not placing all of the blame on TC. Caldwell needed to go a long time ago. I keep hearing that Smoot was a TC pick though and how high TC was on him. That 3rd round pick would've been key to us upgrading our weakest position (OG) and we blew it.

Beachum was a huge liability last year in both run and pass. He's one of the smallest tackles in the NFL and Marrone/Coughlin/Flaherty all prefer big bruisers at tackle. Flowers and Cam are pretty much the template they look for.

Beachum was a top 15 left tackle in the past and was no doubt still recovering from the ACL injury but I wouldn't hold it against them for letting him go.

(08-25-2017, 05:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: Beachum was a huge liability last year in both run and pass. He's one of the smallest tackles in the NFL and Marrone/Coughlin/Flaherty all prefer big bruisers at tackle. Flowers and Cam are pretty much the template they look for.

Beachum was a top 15 left tackle in the past and was no doubt still recovering from the ACL injury but I wouldn't hold it against them for letting him go.

If Ereck Flowers was the template of what they are looking for, they need a new template. That guy is not a good LT.

(08-25-2017, 07:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 05:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: Beachum was a huge liability last year in both run and pass. He's one of the smallest tackles in the NFL and Marrone/Coughlin/Flaherty all prefer big bruisers at tackle. Flowers and Cam are pretty much the template they look for.

If Ereck Flowers was the template of what they are looking for, they need a new template. That guy is not a good LT.
It's not about their respective skill. More so body type. They prefer big , strong brawlers with long limbs more so than smaller guys who win through technique and footwork.

I used to be on the Caldwell bandwagon but I was wrong.

This organization needs a real clean out. No more Caldwell, no more Bortles/Henne, no leftovers from the Bradley staff etc.

FYI, I have copyrighted "Garbage Cann", so anyone who chooses to use it owes me a quarter.

(08-26-2017, 10:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: FYI, I have copyrighted "Garbage Cann", so anyone who chooses to use it owes me a quarter.

Yeah, well I just copyrighted Blake "Thwartles", so anyone who chooses to use it owes ME a quarter!

thwart
THwôrt/
verb
  1. 1
    prevent (someone) from accomplishing something.